Debug command

vAin

Hi there,

I was wondering if there is any toggle command that allows me to see all commands issued by me (including shooting, walking, talking, etc), just like a server debug log. 

So, basically, does this command exist, and if so, what is it?

Thanks in advance!

walking and shooting aren't in the server log.

what do you need it for, if I may ask?

I know walking and shooting aren't in a server log, that would lead to a DoS. I need it because I want to log all of my commands right before any crash occurs (I've been having some weird crashes lately and I think it's because of some clientside commands that I give.

PS: the crashes still appear after fresh reinstalls of Windows, ET, drivers, etc., so that kind of advice is not needed ;)

Hi Vain,

Just throwing this out there and if you did this already tell me to GTFO (as you specifically said don't suggest such things, haha) but when you reinstalled Windows and ET, did you bring your old etmain folder back in? If so, maybe try just keeping your cfg and essentials and do a clean install of ET.

Hi Vain,

Just throwing this out there and if you did this already tell me to GTFO (as you specifically said don't suggest such things, haha) but when you reinstalled Windows and ET, did you bring your old etmain folder back in? If so, maybe try just keeping your cfg and essentials and do a clean install of ET.

Certainly did not mean to tell you to GTFO ;) Anyhow, I've done a fresh reinstall, meaning I haven't kept any files from my ET folder. The problem should be gone when doing fresh reinstalls, but it didn't, which is why I want to debug ET.

• Clan Friend

I don't know how you know that it's actually because of a command you send, and not, for example, something you receive from the server or some other bug.

I strongly doubt that a client command you send is the cause of your crash. Does ET crash without any error message of any kind?

Anyway, I don't remember any command to record what you send to the server, but even if you have the sequence of all your user commands, reliable commands, etc. what would you do?

Let's say you record your upload network stream and you parse and decrypt it, and you see that in the last packet you sent to the server there are some commands, what do you do then?

If you knew what to do with those commands you wouldn't have asked how to record them in the first place, provided that this is actually what you want to do :P

reinstallation wont fix a crash unless you did a good clean up

the only log i know of is etconsole - I'm not sure if its the same for everyone else its in etmain folder

its not a debug log more of a log that shows recent commands and chat messages

Edited by Glyphz

I don't know how you know that it's actually because of a command you send, and not, for example, something you receive from the server or some other bug.

I strongly doubt that a client command you send is the cause of your crash. Does ET crash without any error message of any kind?

Anyway, I don't remember any command to record what you send to the server, but even if you have the sequence of all your user commands, reliable commands, etc. what would you do?

Let's say you record your upload network stream and you parse and decrypt it, and you see that in the last packet you sent to the server there are some commands, what do you do then?

If you knew what to do with those commands you wouldn't have asked how to record them in the first place, provided that this is actually what you want to do :P

ET does not give any crash errors, it just stops working (which is why I thought it to be a driver issue) en then it closes the whole .exe. I am not too sure what you mean with recording my whole upload stream, but I guess you mean that this records all commands I send to the server. This would be a way of doing it, yes, but if ET had some built-in command that did this, I wouldn't have to do this all. Not saying I actually could ;)

reinstallation wont fix a crash unless you did a good clean up

the only log i know of is etconsole - I'm not sure if its the same for everyone else its in etmain folder

its not a debug log more of a log that shows recent commands and chat messages

I know, that's why it's a fresh reinstall, meaning that I delete all maps that have ET in their names (I didn't really do this, it's a metaphor ;)). I'm not sure about this file of yours. Is it a text file? Because the way you describe it, it sounds like a regular condump.

Anyhow, I haven't had these crashes in like 3 days now, maybe they disappeared (you never know what happens with Windows).

• Clan Friend

ET does not give any crash errors, it just stops working (which is why I thought it to be a driver issue) en then it closes the whole .exe. I am not too sure what you mean with recording my whole upload stream, but I guess you mean that this records all commands I send to the server. This would be a way of doing it, yes, but if ET had some built-in command that did this, I wouldn't have to do this all. Not saying I actually could ;)

I meant using wireshark or something like that to capture all the udp packets you send, but as far as I know they are encrypted in some way.

I don't think et has a command to record, and of course demos hold infos sent from the server to you, and not vice-versa, so recording a demo won't help, what's more if et crashes it won't flush some output buffers and maybe you won't read the last commands or logs.

In general I think it would be hard and not so much useful, if not at all.

If you reinstalled ET and it still crashes, that's a 99% proof that it's not ET's fault, but some interaction with something else (probably drivers, or programs running in the background). It could also be some hw problem (overheating, etc.)

Or some particular game state triggering some bug in the code, bug which happens only in that case. That's why, I guess, you probably had the idea about recording your commands, but it can also be because of other things, for example something sent from the server to you (the whole scene and positions of players, events, etc.) and then you should ask why it happens only to you and not other players, since everyone (hopefully :P) plays with the same game code.

If you crash and other players don't, then the best bet would be checking the aforementioned things (drivers...) and that's what I would suggest

I know, that's why it's a fresh reinstall, meaning that I delete all maps that have ET in their names (I didn't really do this, it's a metaphor  ;)). I'm not sure about this file of yours. Is it a text file? Because the way you describe it, it sounds like a regular condump.

Anyhow, I haven't had these crashes in like 3 days now, maybe they disappeared (you never know what happens with Windows).

yeah for me its like a condump, but without me writing /condump filename.txt