How to save a little money each month...

Ol Smoke

If you have single lever faucets, be sure to turn it to the cold side when washing hands quickly or rinsing something.

This will save you real money by the end of the month.  Here is why.

Everytime you turn the hot water faucet on, cold water enters the water heater.  If enough cold water enters the

heater, the heating elements turn on to bring the water back up to temperature.  You do this 20 times a day and

the water heater is on a lot.  Doing nothing but heating a little bit of cold water.

By using the cold water all the time, you cut down on electricity or gas usage.

While I am here on this subject here is something else to remember to do.  Clean out the water heater.

Every 6 months, hook up a garden hose to the outlet on the bottom of the water heater and run it outside

or into the bathtub or shower, depending on your situation.  Then open the valve on the outlet and let it drain

for about 15 to 20 seconds.  This will clear debris that comes from the water and the heating elements that

gathers at the bottom of the tank.  This debris absorbs a lot of heat from the water and causes the water heater

to work overtime.  I also replace water heater elements every 4 to 5 years.  You will be surprised how it lowers

your electric bill.  Old crusty elements use a lot of energy just to get the water warm.  Plus, by doing these two

things, my water heaters last 20 years or more.  We are living in a house built in 1970.  We moved in to the house

in 1974.  I have replaced the water heater twice in 38 years.  Our neighbors are on their 4th.

So, just some good thoughts for you guys and your budgets.

• Like 1

Here's a challenge. Everytime you break a $10 $20 bill etc, of you get a $5 bill in change, you are not allowed to spend the $5 bill, you have to put it back and save it.. Watch how fast your money saves up...

For those outside the US:

Put all coins in a piggy bank. Since everything below 5euro (~7dollar) is in coins, it grows fast.

Also, I hate coins :P