New York man arrested for "Wolverine" film piracy

daredevil

• Administrators

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – FBI agents on Wednesday arrested a New York man on charges that he uploaded a copy of the movie "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" to the Internet before its May theatrical release, a spokeswoman said.

FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said the probe continues into how Gilberto Sanchez, 47, of New York City obtained the copy he posted to Megaupload.com in the spring.

When the leaked movie made it to the Web, officials from Twentieth Century Fox, the unit of News Corp that was behind the film, expressed their dismay out of a concern that it would undermine the box office appeal of "Wolverine."

Sanchez, who was arrested at his home, was charged with unlawfully uploading a copyright work to the Internet, which carries a maximum penalty of three years in prison and a $250,000 fine, the FBI said.

He allegedly used Internet handles such as "SkillfulGil."

"X-Men Origins: Wolverine," which starred Hugh Jackman and was the latest in a franchise of films based on the "X-Men" comic books, made $373 million at worldwide box offices.

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis: Editing by Bob Tourtellotte)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091216/media_nm/us_wolverine

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – FBI agents on Wednesday arrested a New York man on charges that he uploaded a copy of the movie "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" to the Internet before its May theatrical release, a spokeswoman said.

FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said the probe continues into how Gilberto Sanchez, 47, of New York City obtained the copy he posted to Megaupload.com in the spring.

When the leaked movie made it to the Web, officials from Twentieth Century Fox, the unit of News Corp that was behind the film, expressed their dismay out of a concern that it would undermine the box office appeal of "Wolverine."

Sanchez, who was arrested at his home, was charged with unlawfully uploading a copyright work to the Internet, which carries a maximum penalty of three years in prison and a $250,000 fine, the FBI said.

He allegedly used Internet handles such as "SkillfulGil."

"X-Men Origins: Wolverine," which starred Hugh Jackman and was the latest in a franchise of films based on the "X-Men" comic books, made $373 million at worldwide box offices.

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis: Editing by Bob Tourtellotte)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091216/media_nm/us_wolverine

And that is like 1 out of a million lol. My friend went to Thailand Long time ago and they had Copies of Borat selling On the street marketplace for $2 dollars 6 Months before its release in the movie theater. 1 person in America Leak a movie. 1 million people leak it overseas =P

I watched Wolverine on a downloaded copy at a buddies house (don't tell anyone lol). It was an OK movie, but the beginning was better than the end. My buddy asked me if I wanted a copy, I said no, don't waste the blank DVD. Once you know how it ends why would you want to watch it again?

Hollywood gets very upset when movies are posted before they even reach the theatre. Don't do it.

At some point, the authorities are going to cut off the source of the files (Usenet, Torrent tracking sites, Fileshare sites, etc.) with some mundane law about not being a medium for which you can get copyrighted stuff, whether it's stored or not on these places. Just a matter of time, unfortunately.

That being said, Wolverine wasn't as bad as X-Men 3...I hated that.

We know this guy. he was part of a big movie site like 2 years ago.. He was always saying that the FBI was after him, but he always manages to get away. We haven't heard from him in over a year.. We were surprised when we read this topic and realize that it was the same guy. By the way he got a work print from someone that was ment to watch it and give his/her review of it...

It was shocking to find out that he got caught..

DAMN THE BAD LUCK!!!!!!