ETPro HitBoxes

SunLight

• Clan Friend

Curious how it will work out when SunLight finished his mod and when actually playing  :)

[cut] 

g_hitmode 5 - would like to see how that feels in a real game.

[cut] 

It's not like that information is a secret or wasn't discussed a thousand times when ET had its peaktime

Yes but there are many sources, it depends on the knowledge of the one who writes, many things aren't documented or easy to test for non coders. So reading those articles sometimes I find incorrect infos.

---

As regards jaymod, I tried those realistic hitboxes in the past, and everyone was unhittable, it was easer to go for bodyshots than head.

---

For hitbox testing, I would like to know how to deal with that ETPro 'incorrect et version' thing :D

Because it would help me for my demoviewer as well, I could make it compatible with real etpro, instead of using wolfcam to watch etpro demos. Other mods don't care if you use a modified ET, so if it wasn't for ETPro I would be ready to go.

If it's too hard to fool etpro, then I have to resort to what madscientist did for his image-et, i.e. something that changes ET in memory, while using an authentic ET 2.60b. Working in C is obviously easier than working in Assembly or interact with Assembly code in general. That's probably why I made that mistake with the bullet origin. So I would prefer to recompile the engine.

Writing something that tells you the coordinates of hitboxes is easy, drawing players is a bit harder, and the ideal would be something like !record and !replay commands, but unless I can recompile the whole engine I won't do somthing so long

Yep, biggest offsets occur at animation transitions when strafing fast from left to right or tapping crouch, and uneven ground seems to be a problem in some situations. But overall it seems so work fine :)

Here a few of mine:

Accidently set b_realhead 0, headbox just stays in the middle of the bodybox.

2uy6mp3.jpg

Then with b_realhead 1

2s66ng1.jpg

Some fast jumps with crouch, headbox way better than I would have expected. Still the bodybox can be abused ;)

6i5iqb.jpg

6se5bc.jpg

Prediction error through shoving:

30crltx.jpg

Transition to prone:

9rt6o5.jpg

Biggest offsets:

8xri81.jpg

311tbbk.jpg

2s6x5w9.jpg

30jn4h5.jpg

2pzihyv.jpg

And if SunLight should ever "get head" hear again, it's plausible :D

new3g3.jpg

Net settings had no impact on the hitbox position, but very low settings can make you warp. All in all I think that it works quite good, considering the many variables coming together when playing online...though the crouch stuff could be overhauled :P at least for ETPro but I don't think that other mods do it better by now.

So thats why I cant hit enemies when they suddenly crouch [ i dont aim head well so i usually go for bodyshot and when crouching , i must get a hs but i dont] . So tapping crouch is better than holding it , right ? I never thought someone would go to this detail in gaming . Thanks to both of you guys .

I normally have a ping of 270 - 450 , so if you guys need a high ping "real" specimen , i am ready to be the test subject . But i can come only from 8.30 am to 10.00 am  ,  then from 12 to 1.30 pm , then from 2-4 pm and then from 8-9 pm in my timezone . Calculate your times by taking it as exactly 8.08 pm the time i am posting it . Tell me what time i can come on . :) 

If it's too hard to fool etpro, then I have to resort to what madscientist did for his image-et, i.e. something that changes ET in memory, while using an authentic ET 2.60b. Working in C is obviously easier than working in Assembly or interact with Assembly code in general. That's probably why I made that mistake with the bullet origin. So I would prefer to recompile the engine.

Writing something that tells you the coordinates of hitboxes is easy, drawing players is a bit harder, and the ideal would be something like !record and !replay commands, but unless I can recompile the whole engine I won't do somthing so long

Yes seems to be not so easy. e.g ETLegacy doesn't work with etpro either. Maybe you can find some hints over there?

http://dev.etlegacy.com/projects/etlegacy/wiki/ETPro

• Clan Friend

Yes seems to be not so easy. e.g ETLegacy doesn't work with etpro either. Maybe you can find some hints over there?

http://dev.etlegacy.com/projects/etlegacy/wiki/ETPro

Already done, np... :P well, almost... I think I know now (more or less) how to deal with it. But maybe it will be harder than I think.

I found out how to make etpro work with my et demoviewer, but it still works for demos only, crashes on real play (i.e. /devmap te_valhalla)

So I'm focusing on building this modified engine first, I will add etpro support later and add it to my et demoviewer too (Windows only at first, because on Linux I would have to figure out from scratch how to avoid these crashes -.-) basically it's a sort of anticheat protection etpro had, which now is obsolete and useless, but it's still there.

If et is not the original, it crashes because it calls some areas that in a recompiled et of course are in a different place in memory.

• Clan Friend

lol I'm stuck... I quickly made an ET that makes a copy of players and lines, I even made a basic !hide and !show command

but now there is a problem... I tested it with jay and silent mod and:

- jaymod doesn't seem to have g_debugbullets anymore, I'm too tired to check if there is something equivalent (i.e. something that appears on hit and stays there, not those delayed realtime fancy boxes which are totally useless)

- silent mod has still g_debugbullets but either I was too tired and made a mistake or they removed the head from it, since it's just bodybox

so basically all the work I did is wasted, unless I figure out how to make it work with etpro... I guess I won't work on it for some time... I'm ultratired and disappointed

• Clan Friend

Take a rest then ;) For Jaymod there's g_hitmodeDebug

indeed... etpub is the only one that works (and hitboxes looked a bit behind the model after a quick test), but after all we know hitboxes are more or less good, and when they are not, it's mostly random, so we can't learn that much

I think for a while I'll play instead of nerding, the more I don't play the noober I become :D

edit:

acutally now I see that jaymod has persistent hitboxes, it's called g_hitmodeghosting. hitboxes are behind the player like etpub, that could mean either that I freeze the player too late in this thing I made 2 quickly, or that they are actually behind. I'll check but not now :P

Edited by SunLight

edit:

acutally now I see that jaymod has persistent hitboxes, it's called g_hitmodeghosting. hitboxes are behind the player like etpub, that could mean either that I freeze the player too late in this thing I made 2 quickly, or that they are actually behind. I'll check but not now :P

I still have the feeling that they are indeed behind sometimes :D My guess is that's related to the server just running at 20 frames, so there has to be a delay somehow, then compensated by antilag or antiwarp. Yesterday I tried some overkill settings on a local listen server with sv_fps 125 and com_maxfps 125 with jaymod, hitboxes stay perfectly on and move just as smooth as the model itself then, the whole game seemed much more smooth.

• Clan Friend

I think the easiest way to test if they are behind, is to run together parallel on a long flat map (e.g. gammajump maps) with nofatigue on, and aim at the head with sten

if they are behind you should headshot on the shoulder

etpro hitboxes aren't behind

• Clan Friend

I 'nerded' a little bit on that modified engine, now I can connect to etpro too (as long as b_anticheat is 0 in the server)

etpro is the only mod where hitboxes are more or less on the player. The method I use now should be more accurate than the one before, so now I see that etpro hitboxes are spot on, maybe slightly behind sometimes.

---

etpub boxes are noticeably 'behind' the player, at first I suspected an error on my side, but then I recompiled an etpub client, and added some debug stuff, and it matches exactly with the player position on the modified engine.

jaymod is behind too, silent I suspect too (but I can't display the headbox with g_debugbullets, so it's just a guess from the bodybox, they look like etpub, didn't test nq)

All tested with the same engine, so the differnce between mods should be real, unless the mod itself shows the wrong debugbullets. In fact my engine just freezes the player on shoot, hitboxes are still drawn by the original mods.

---

When I finish it, we could fiddle with jaymod different antilag settings, with timenudge, etc.

Every mod uses different stuff to draw hitboxes lol, while I made /hitboxes show and /hitboxes hide commands, I wanted to invisibly record all that junk in order to test it with a real duel where both shoot, but it should be made in a different way mod by mod -.-

p.s.

I watched that demo, lol it's true no hitsounds and he loses the helmet, but maybe there is some other reason

I 'nerded' a little bit on that modified engine, now I can connect to etpro too (as long as b_anticheat is 0 in the server)

etpro is the only mod where hitboxes are more or less on the player. The method I use now should be more accurate than the one before, so now I see that etpro hitboxes are spot on, maybe slightly behind sometimes.

---

Ha you couldn't resist! Good news :)

p.s.

I watched that demo, lol it's true no hitsounds and he loses the helmet, but maybe there is some other reason

I wonder if other people have it too sometimes or if it's a problem on my side. But only noticed it on jaymod so far.

It is true, I was experiencing that many time for the no immediate hitsounds and loses the helmet. Then the hitsound will come really delayed though. it's not totally no hitsound, but the delay is very noticeable atleast at my end where I can see that enemy got no helmet already before hitsounds will come. I guess my lag causes this.

• Clan Friend

It is true, I was experiencing that many time for the no immediate hitsounds and loses the helmet. Then the hitsound will come really delayed though. it's not totally no hitsound, but the delay is very noticeable atleast at my end where I can see that enemy got no helmet already before hitsounds will come. I guess my lag causes this.

I don't know what is the cause, but I noticed it as well

not much now because I'm used to jay, but after I switched from etpro to jaymod the first things I noticed were this, and the 'hp left' value, which is sometimes dubious.