forcing maxpacket value

Edgar

Why is the snaps cvar forced to 20 while you can use 15 maxpacket value or -50 timenudge ?

many people are tweaking and using unfair maxpacket value in order to be unhitable.

getting killed by semi skilled people only because of tweaked cvar(low maxpacket value) is boring

same for cl_timenudge.

many inonfensiv cvar are forced but those are free to tweak for every nab or semi skilled player.

cant you force cl_maxpacket value so people wont be capable of using a value inferior to 80 ?

and cl_timenudge -15

• Administrators

snaps are forced to 20 so few uneducated wanna be players don't whine about someone else snaps. Lowering or increasing snaps will be of no use cos it's server controlled cvar through sv_fps

If using -50 timenudge increases someone dreamland e-penis then so be it but in reality game clamps it to -30. Welcome to reality.

cl_maxpacket is 30 to 100 on all silent mod servers, snaps and timenudge forced to 20 and 0 respectively.

• Like 1

If using -50 timenudge increases someone dreamland e-penis then so be it but in reality game clamps it to -30. Welcome to reality.

cl_maxpacket is 30 to 100 on all silent mod servers, snaps and timenudge forced to 20 and 0 respectively.

why not forcing timenudge to -15 minimum ?

on beginners maxpackets can be set to 15

and who care about what others servers do? 30 is a ridiculous low value. now every connexion cant handle at least 100.

this is an old game, 30 was default because some years ago connexiony were weak, but now they arent anymore

Edited by Edgar

• Administrators

why not forcing timenudge to -15 minimum ?

on beginners maxpackets can be set to 15

and who care about what others servers do? 30 is a ridiculous low value. now every connexion cant handle at least 100.

this is an old game, 30 was default because some years ago connexiony were weak, but now they arent anymore

On Beginners #2 value are forced and on beginners their is no option for it in jaymod.

Where did I mentioned about other servers?

No, 30 is fine value. If I am playing at com_maxfps 60 cap, I would like to have 30 maxpackets. Also that being said their are tons of people who play from other part of world where 1Mbps is max speed.

This is an old game and yet you still complained for -50 maxpacket? No matter how old or new game is some player with half baked knowledge will always complain.

On Jaymod you can't force or restrict values. Period. Mod doesn't support it. Feel free to contact Jaybird: http://jaymod.clanfu.org/

No, 30 is fine value.

30 is not a fine but a lame value and there aren't serious or “half baked knowledge” to say the oposite.

Even at the very beginning splash damage recommended to use higher values.

1 mega is quite enought to support 100 maxpackets.

Now there are many people whit good connexion, better than mine, living in europe, but using low maxpacket on purpose, which is not normal at all.

You have a good connexion, you should not use a low maxpacket value. Period.

10 years ago, when i had a 1 mega connexion game was unplayable and laggy with 30 but playable whit 100.

30 is for very old 56k RTC modem connexion. it even was mentioned in the documentation since this game was built in order to make it possible to 64k connexion to play.

does anyone have a 64k connexion nowaday?

If I am playing at com_maxfps 60 cap, I would like to have 30 maxpackets. Also that being said their are tons of people who play from other part of world where 1Mbps is max speed.

like i said.

You have a good connexion, you should not use such a low value and anyone using such a value while he could not, should be kicked or banned in case of recidivism.

This is an old game and yet you still complained for -50 maxpacket?

What is the meaning of this sentence?

No matter how old or new game is some player with half baked knowledge will always complain.

i did not complain, dude.

And i do not like this tone you use and there is no justification for it. I just asked why many people with good connexion and living in europe are using 30 maxpackets value

But you came whit these “baked knowledge” bullcraps.

So let me tell you: i’am much more informed about IT that you had, you are, and you will ever been.

And i’am sure it’s the same about the rest.

On Jaymod you can't force or restrict values.

There are some ban and kick command which would allow to restrict cvars.

Edited by Edgar

• Administrators

30 is not a fine but a lame value and there aren't serious or “half baked knowledge” to say the oposite.

Even at the very beginning splash damage recommended to use higher values.

1 mega is quite enought to support 100 maxpackets.

Now there are many people whit good connexion, better than mine, living in europe, but using low maxpacket on purpose, which is not normal at all.

You have a good connexion, you should not use a low maxpacket value. Period.

10 years ago, when i had a 1 mega connexion game was unplayable and laggy with 30 but playable whit 100.

30 is for very old 64k RTC modem connexion.

1Mbps is not quite enough because it doesn't stay constant and it also depends on ISP. Please stop arguing for the sake of it or to just keep pressing your false logics. Also it's more about choosing maxpackets half of your max fps to suite your needs. I am not going to beat the dead horse so do me a favor and Google maxpackets, maxfps, snaps and ET engine and learn it yourself since you are pro-claiming yourself super IT tech guy.

30 maxpackets doesn't make anyone un-hittable. Get over it or play some different game.

like i said.

You have a good connexion, you should not use such a low value and anyone using such a value while he could not, should be kicked or banned in case of recidivism.

What is the meaning of this sentence?

i did not complain, dude.

And i do not like this tone you use and there is no justification for it. I just asked why many people with good connexion and living in europe are using 30 maxpackets value

But you came whit these “baked knowledge” bullcraps.

So let me tell you: i’am much more informed about IT that you had, you are, and you will ever been.

And i’am sure it’s the same about the rest.

There are some ban and kick command which would allow to restrict cvars.

Please take some basic English classes before pro claiming yourself as super IT tech. Good for you and others who have similar IT knowledge like you because I don't want to be a part of your super IT tech league.

I have also seen same attitude from you in your previous topic:

http://fearless-assa...ssword-on-jay4/

That being said the first thing you complained for is about snaps which is wrong. Next thing you complained for is -50 maxpackets which is of no use because game clamps to -30.

Stop being arrogant just because you don't understand 10 years old game. For you, I am not going to change server rules. We will not kick anyone using less then 100 maxpackets. Period.

If maxpackets, timenudge and snaps is that much of an issue for you, feel free to run your server and play on it and keep kicking/banning any player using less then 100 maxpackets or using 40 snaps when server is running at sv_fps 20.

• Like 1

1Mbps is not quite enough because it doesn't stay constant and it also depends on ISP. Please stop arguing for the sake of it or to just keep pressing your false logics.

I played for years whit a 128k then a 512K connexion(128k and 512k were theoretical maximum), and i never had any problem with cl_maxpackets 100.

http://www.ariase.com/fr/news/nouvelles-offres-wanadoo.html

I am not going to beat the dead horse so do me a favor and Google maxpackets, maxfps, snaps and ET engine and learn it yourself since you are pro-claiming yourself super IT tech guy.

There is no serious website on the Internet which will tell you low maxpackets users aren’t hard to hit.

Everybody know they will make you warp to others players and will get you hardly hitable.

And every website tell it.

The less frequently you inform the server about your position(low maxpacket), the less it knows where you are, and the harder it is to make hit calculations.

That is called logic

Plus if the lowmaxpaket guy has an irregular outgoing internet flow, then it becomes thricky.

And i’am not proclaming myself a tech guy, i am.

Please take some basic English classes before pro claiming yourself as super IT tech. Good for you and others who have similar IT knowledge like you because I don't want to be a part of your super IT tech league.

Don’t be afraid, i did not have for intention to invit you.

I would be able to speak and write a better english but i dont want to waste my time since when an admin start trolling or telling bullcraps then the guy is banned, and the topic closed.

So why would i bore myself?

I have also seen same attitude from you in your previous topic:

problem was different since it was about admin command. I never played as an admin except when i hacked somes servers, this is why i dont know and dont care about every command.

That being said the first thing you complained for is about snaps which is wrong.

I did not complain about snaps, just said there were forced to 20.

your distortion of my words only let appear your bad faith

Next thing you complained for is -50 maxpackets which is of no use because game clamps to -30.

30 or 50, this is a detail. but do you have any sources on that?

Stop being arrogant just because you don't understand 10 years old game.

Just a reversal accusation.

I was not arrogant, you were. Deliberately using a derogatory language

Edited by Edgar

players on low maxpackets might have problems, because other players will find this player’s movements weird which can make them hard to shoot and also this player can see other players movement weird.

http://etconfig.net/.../cl_maxpackets/

On the opposite end, low values make it harder to be hit and vice-versa.

http://bashandslash.com/index.php?Itemid=63&id=51&option=com_content&task=view

if you can only send / receive 30 packets a second, then when other people are sending 100 packets a second, you are only getting your 30 packets worth of information, so other players will be warping on your screen just as much as you're warping on theirs? So if you're unhittable, they will be unhittable?

and if you limit it to 80 to stop these abusers, what will happen to the legitmiate users playing on bad connections over long distances who can't afford that, (they stop playing et??) or are you arguing that there is no such player?

why is cl_timenudge the same?

Edited by jaie

I can see why the maxpackets isn´t forced to 100 or more. Tried several values with my capped maxfps 76 and maxpackets values 76\60(depending on mod\server size) works for me best. Other values makes me lag hard. Lagometer becomes all yellow constantly, can´t explain it but so it is and I like it that I can choose values for myself.

What becomes about hitting players then I´ve seen players with (the player himself told)default config with 30 maxpackets pwning everybody- no matter if they were using high or low maxpacket values.

So could we drop this pointless argue.

Your maxfps must be divisable by your maxpackets every good config tweaker knows that.

Most pro players use packetdup 1 which is stupid. Why would you want to get a lagged packet ? Just decrease bulletrecognition.

Btw arguing one of the silentmod dev team member about etengine stuff is pretty epic.

Silentmod fixed whole game better than anything.

PS : most etpro players are ignorants , they just follow others "tricks" .

• Administrators

I played for years whit a 128k then a 512K connexion(128k and 512k were theoretical maximum), and i never had any problem with cl_maxpackets 100.

http://www.ariase.co...es-wanadoo.html

Just because you would like to send all packets doesn't mean all have too and on top as I said many play with maxpackets half of their maxfps which makes sense and is valid reason to play with. More or less comparing France ISP to other ISP's in world is pretty ridiculous to begin with.

More or less if player is playing with 50 maxpfs he wouldn't be sending 100 packets to begin with. ET generates one packet / frame, IIRC and I believe that's what ReyalIP said.

There is no serious website on the Internet which will tell you low maxpackets users aren’t hard to hit.

Everybody know they will make you warp to others players and will get you hardly hitable.

Get your facts straight. From start you are assuming too much and trying to force your assumptions.

http://bani.anime.ne...p?p=57798#57798

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:18 pm Post subject:

The idea that maxpackets 30 makes you harder to hit is absurd.

People like to look at /players and whine.

The less frequently you inform the server about your position(low maxpacket), the less it knows where you are, and the harder it is to make hit calculations.

That is called logic

Plus if the lowmaxpaket guy has an irregular outgoing internet flow, then it becomes thricky.

See my reply above. Again half baked knowledge. What the hack is "Thricky" and "irregular outgoing internet flow"? I understand English is not your first language and neither it's mine. But your posts are not only hard to read but hard to understand to begin with.

More or less their is something called "anti lag". It's always easy to kill 300 ping player when you are on 50 ping and good connection/FPS. So sending less data or delayed data only hurts the player himself and none another in majority of test scenarios.

And i’am not proclaming myself a tech guy, i am.

If you are then you should be easy for you to find where in game maxpackets are clamped. But since you have asked for proof in later part of your post here it is:

tn = cl_timeNudge->integer;
if ( tn < -30 ) {
tn = -30;
} else if ( tn > 30 ) {
tn = 30;
}

Don’t be afraid, i did not have for intention to invit you.

I would be able to speak and write a better english but i dont want to waste my time since when an admin start trolling or telling bullcraps then the guy is banned, and the topic closed.

So why would i bore myself?

problem was different since it was about admin command. I never played as an admin except when i hacked somes servers, this is why i dont know and dont care about every command.

I did not complain about snaps, just said there were forced to 20.

your distortion of my words only let appear your bad faith

30 or 50, this is a detail. but do you have any sources on that?

Just a reversal accusation.

I was not arrogant, you were. Deliberately using a derogatory language

I had seen your previous topic and you are doing same in this topic. I didn't use any derogatory language and just use half baked term which you seem to have and it's a fact.

First you complained for -50 maxpackets and when I said game clamps it to -30 you still kept arguing over it another way around by telling us to kick and ban players.

Let me tell you straight forward: If you where so smart which you pro claimed yourself I shouldn't have to give you proof but since you asked for it, I posted it. See my reply above.

if you can only send / receive 30 packets a second

false assumption.

Upload always inferior to download.

Just try to make a connexion test by yourself and compar the download result to the upload result.

A guy who use

/rate 30.000

and

/cl_maxpackets 30

is a guy who want to know everyone exact positions while hiding his.

false assumption.

Upload always inferior to download.

Just try to make a connexion test by yourself and compar the download result to the upload result.

Wrong. That is not true in all cases, it is entirely dependent on your upstream provider (or the operator who controls your rate limits internally or externally where ever your location is)

• Clan Friend

That is called logic

Well, websites aren't always a reliable source. In my opinion, some players make a bit of confusion between 'warping' (i.e. moving in a way that's not smooth) and being 'unhittable' (i.e. you aim at the target, but you don't hit because of player internet settings or connection quality or ping, or other bs).

The first is a fact, the second is a myth.

- The fact that a player who sends 30 maxpackets moves less smoothly than a player with 100 (and a player with 100 packets + 100 fps, like I play for example, is more smooth than 100 packets + 125fps) is an obvious fact that can be easily verified.

In my et demoviewer I've put a warpometer (taken from wolfcam, but I added it to wolfcam years ago, so it's my code anyway), there you can easily see the difference between players who send more packets or less.

Players who send less packets, stand still for a server frame then they move at once in the next, they move like this:

instead of this:

So when they strafe left-right, or they move suddenly, they can cover a distance (in 1 frame) which is much bigger than the distance I can cover in 1 frame. They don't move 'faster' over several frames (they won't win a 'race' over some big distance), but in 1 frame they cover a bigger area, so they can dodge bullets better, and surprise the opponent with a sudden big strafe (or I should say teleport?).

An easy way to test it, is to join a server twice and spec yourself doing left-right with sprint, first with 100 packets, and 30 or better 15. There is obviously a difference in movement (but more noticeable with 15 rather than 30)

Now, that is a fact. In fact etpro forces 100 maxpackets for a reason.

(but I have been pwnd by players with 30, asked them to change, they changed to 100 and they still owned me so it's a *small* advantage) Likewise, sometimes in frustration I set 30: I still died 30vs30. There are many factors.

And you can warp even with 100 if you chage fps, or you have a bad quality connection, so warpers will ever be in the game unless game developers code a decent *antiwarp*, and smooth down those laggers once and for all, maybe giving them prediction errors, in my opinion a player whose speed is, say, 200ups, must move 10 units in 1 server frame, not fkin 20 units in one and 0 in the next. But game developers will never make that, especially for 'fun' mods because they think the game must be playable for everyone. It will never happen. Not even etpro developers were so strict in their antiwarp.

But when you say that 'the server doesn't know your position' that's bs, because your position *is* the position you have in the server, the position you have in the client simulation doesn't matter at all, in fact when you receive a snapshot from the server and your position is different, you will have a prediction error and your position in the client will be re-adjusted.

In other words, the server sends a snapshot to me with players position, I see them in *that* position, I aim at *that* position, then antilag picks the old snapshot from memory with (guess what?) *that* position... there is no way that I don't hit the player because of 30 maxpackets if I aim at him. Hit detection is a 'static' process, player movement doesn't count anymore.

You can say that it's hard to follow him with your mouse movements, then I agree. But if your crosshair is on a player and you don't hit, you won't hit any player who is in the same position and the same animation, there is no such thing as ping, maxpackets, etc.

You should blame your connection/ping (prediction errors), your bullets trajectory (the server adds randomness because of weapon spread) etc. but then you can't insult your opponent anymore, it's not fun to blame your connection or the server. So people invented this unhittability thing to insult players. They die, then they look at the scoreboard or type /players, then they say: 'oh yeah, high ping, low maxpackets' , etc.

Whoever says 'I didn't hit you, but I would have hit another player in the same position' is silly tyo say the least, because if the position and animation frame is the same, how on earth would the other player have a different hitbox, that's just plain silliness.

And timenudge doesn't make you warp either, you can just see server snapshots a bit before, but you have to extrapolate so it's probably worse for you (I never use timenudge, guess why?) at most you can see an opponent coming from a corner a bit before.

if you can only send / receive 30 packets a second, then when other people are sending 100 packets a second, you are only getting your 30 packets worth of information, so other players will be warping on your screen just as much as you're warping on theirs? So if you're unhittable, they will be unhittable?

no. you are making confusion between what you send (maxpackets) and what you receive (rate, etc.)

PS : most etpro players are ignorants , they just follow others "tricks" .

often true. After all 'pro' player means someone who is good at playing (reaction times, etc.) knowledge of techincal stuff is not required, and so it's often not there...

• Like 3