Proper Grammar

Sparhawk

Good grammar went the way of the dinosaurs and the rest of my species.

(Knock on door) Who dat be dar? It be me dar, Jim. Who be Jim? Dat bein' me, Jim. No, me be Jim, who be you dat der?

:lol_3:

Here in the south it really is like this, "Jeet? No, jew? Naw, yawnt to? Translation - Did you eat? No, did you? No, would you like to? I kid you not.. I have avoided this my whole life Hahaha

• Like 1

This is great. I am a big grammar corrector, and try not to point it out to people. Hopefully this will help the people who need it. Thank you Lux. I am definitely going to keep this post somewhere to access it quickly.

A new item: y, r and u are not words.

An extension to rule 15. It's weird, not wierd.

Not English, but a nice addition. "i.e." does not stand for in example, but for id est, which is Latin for "that is". People who use "i.e." for giving an example do not have the knowledge that people outside their comfort zone (i.e. where they speak English) may speak another language. The correct usage for "in example" would be "e.g.", exempli gratia, or translated "for the sake of example". And yes topic starter, you did that well :)

Seeing http://fearless-assassins.com/membermap/ and the language usage on the forum here, I really doubt that many of the people in the US really have any understanding of their language. Or any language.

Could you please explain to me the words: which, wich and witch? i still don't get it, how i have to use these words properly :P I do know what a witch is but the other two, i don't have a clue xD

As a non-english speaker i would highly appreciate it :P

Edited by VSSpeedy

Witch is a woman ugly as hell with magical powers. Or your evil sister. Which is if you have to choose, e.g. "There are three woman here, but which is the witch?". Wich is not something in the Oxford dictionary (at least not the one online, might look it up at home), I've never heard of it before and so probably you won't need it either.

Ok thanks for the explanation :P and i meant "wich" from sandwich, greenwich or norwich, but i guess it has no real meaning if it is not in any dictionary. I have seen people using "wich" instead of "which", that's why i was a little confused about it :)

Even in the "Concise Oxford English Dictionary" it doesn't have a record. And although 'concise' means "giving information clearly and in few words", that book is more lethal than an AK74 (not AK47, only on short distance). So no, wich something in the same line as y, u and r.

Tis a funny convo that we have here. Frankly I feel as though if an individual is unable to use the English language properly oh well. If the message gets across then so be it. I used to be high strung on grammar and correcting it for people (I am a fierce red-pen person), but people make mistakes and that's not something to fuss over. As a note Sparhawk, if you write something dul and boring, try to keep it short. I really appreciate the effort and it was well written, but the majority of people will not read the entirety of the thread. I was taught that the majority of people read at a third grade level and therefore lose interest in wordy pieces. (The perks to working with the government).

Tis a funny convo that we have here.

Personally it's something I hate within FA. More than anything, if I'd resign that would be in the top 2 reasons-list. The number of people at least trying to use correct English is way beyond anything I would and could have been expecting. How the hell are people (allowed to) join, if they can't even read the rules. Or if they can, within a discussion (on the server) make them clear to others? How can you be part of FA if you can't give your opinion?

Frankly I feel as though if an individual is unable to use the English language properly oh well. If the message gets across then so be it.

The message doesn't always come across. And actually it works EXACTLY the other way round. If you want to be understood, use correct English. Especially in the unban-section (luckily not many members of FA are topic starters there :P) are a lot of complete idiots (offence included). You want to get unbanned, make sure others are capable of understanding you.

I was taught that the majority of people read at a third grade level and therefore lose interest in wordy pieces. (The perks to working with the government).

I was taught English. I sucked at it more than others (probably lowest grades in secondary/high school of my class), but at least I try hard. Edited by rolf

I think some take it way to serious to be honest. People are different, we talk different, we spell different and we act different. If everyone spoke the same or acted the same or whatever, this would be a super boring place to live and everyone would hate each other. I personally love the differences in how people communicate. The grammatical differences set apart who we are. I don't mind my grammar at all and would never think of changing to make anyone else happy.. :D