Proper Grammar

Sparhawk

The "rules of grammar" are an over kill because we do not need to follow every one of them in order understand messages. We can deviate from them greatly and still be understood. Being understood is what's important in communication, much more important than rules of grammar. How Much Deviation is Acceptable is the issue that people argue about. "Acceptable" is a subjective term because it relies on people's comfort level as much as their knowledge of deviations.

The only thing that matters is that one sends a message that is understood by the recipient. The rules of grammar are only necessary when you need to modify the deviations you used in the msg if the recipient doesn't understand them. Likely, the person will learn the deviations and the rules of grammar will not be needed again for those particular deviations with that particular recipient.

The more recipients you have, the more rules --and less deviations-- you may need to apply to your msg so that all the recipients understand it.

Edited by EnderWiggin

Everything you should definitely not put in a motivation letter (irrelevant to the context of the word, for example the amazing F-word) is something which is not proper English. English is indeed evolving, as well as all other languages than ancient Greek etc. And yes, new words have origins in other languages most of the time (look at Dutch, it borrows a lot of words from English these days). But that doesn't mean that everything is English.

And to your information, retard is actually from the 15th century. Proper English :P

da grama nazi award is fo krauersaut cus he alwais lykes to corect gramar mystekes

dis topic sawx balls tho, propah grammah iz only fo at skool u no or fo importan stoof n dis clierly isnt'

donut understant fourr pagges off grammmer debaate ;p shoould bee bettter thinggs todo Ithink :P

Likely, the person will learn the deviations and the rules of grammar will not be needed again for those particular deviations with that particular recipient.

You are right, that is indeed much simpler. It is not writing which should be adjusted to the readers, but the readers will have to learn all inconsistencies of the writers. Edited by rolf

Everything you should definitely not put in a motivation letter (irrelevant to the context of the word, for example the amazing F-word) is something which is not proper English. English is indeed evolving, as well as all other languages than ancient Greek etc. And yes, new words have origins in other languages most of the time (look at Dutch, it borrows a lot of words from English these days). But that doesn't mean that everything is English.

And to your information, retard is actually from the 15th century. Proper English :P

I believe Retard is based off of Retarder (french 13th c?) or Retardare (latin)

Also back then, it meant 'To slow', and then later on in the 70's becoming an insult toward moronic people. :) BOOYAH.

Or something. ^.^

I forgot my point.

In the 70's it may have become a slang, but before that it was already used (first in 1895, source: wikipedia). Words like those do not origin from mistyping or lacking vocabulary in English.

donut understant fourr pagges off grammmer debaate ;p shoould bee bettter thinggs todo Ithink :P

My god this gave me a reason to jump off a cliff :stfu

I don't understand why there is four pages of grammar debating, there should be better things to do.

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.