Proper Grammar

Sparhawk

The grammatical differences set apart who we are.

Grammatical differences are those who think petrol should be called gas, that it should be theater instead of theatre. Those aren't the problems. A problem arises when people aren't able to communicate with each other, even though they state they speak the same language. That isn't a positive aspect of grammatical differences.

Personally it's something I hate within FA. More than anything, if I'd resign that would be in the top 2 reasons-list.

All I am saying is it really this kind of issue? Top 2 reasons to resign? Sure sometimes it is a bit over the top, but I don't understand the severity of the issue.

Granted some people are lazy and make no effort, but other times people do as good as they can and I believe should be commended for the effort.. I come from a place where people live in poverty, there are no jobs and nationwide are joked about for being backwards, hillbilly types and I have worked hard to prove that stereotype untrue, but I can't look back on generations of others that never got the same opportunity as me and look down on them for the cycle of "ignorance" that continues. Don't take my response the wrong way, I am in no way trying to be sarcastic and am not saying any of this in anger. Just maybe a little frustration because I know what it feels like to come from somewhere that is the constant butt of jokes and ridicule because of the way we speak and/or express ourselves in this manner.. Also I do enjoy a good debate hehehe :D

Oh yeah, how on Earth have I not gotten the Grammar Nazi badge yet? Lol :D

nevah

Edited by Corey

All I am saying is it really this kind of issue? Top 2 reasons to resign? Sure sometimes it is a bit over the top, but I don't understand the severity of the issue.

A typo or something isn't my problem. The problem I see is that many here prioritize their laziness over the fact that they want to bring (among others) me a message. If it takes me more time to understand that message than they needed to type it, then that is my problem. The issue from there is that I can not (and will not) try to communicate with those people anymore. So no, it's not the direct reason. But if lacking communication skills becomes normal in here I'm out.

If proper grammar on the internet was mandatory I would have to search another place to waste time...

In Dutch I'm pretty dam good and I consider that mandatory for my first language.

In English it's a way different story. I often mess up. Hate tenses for example. Those are confusing for Dutch speaking people :( => no, I don't need the rules about them, I know those but when talking and I don't always think about them :P.

Well, my English is good enough to read English books. That's something I guess ^^.

BTW I like dialects way more than the artificial constructed official language. => speaking about Dutch here.

Not being to able to communicate when speaking the same language? Rolf, I invite you to come and talk to my grandparents (I don't speak the dialect well enough to prove the point). You won't understand them ^^. No problem at all with that. I love dialects.

All mistakes in this post are mine and mine alone. Do not touch them!!!

Edited by DrJoske

...Wow, did I start a debate/fight/war, here? Oh yeah, how on Earth have I not gotten the Grammar Nazi badge yet? Lol :D

da grama nazi award is fo krauersaut cus he alwais lykes to corect gramar mystekes

dis topic sawx balls tho, propah grammah iz only fo at skool u no or fo importan stoof n dis clierly isnt'

da grama nazi award is fo krauersaut cus he alwais lykes to corect gramar mystekes

dis topic sawx balls tho, propah grammah iz only fo at skool u no or fo importan stoof n dis clierly isnt'

be7.jpg

• Like 1

A typo or something isn't my problem. The problem I see is that many here prioritize their laziness over the fact that they want to bring (among others) me a message. If it takes me more time to understand that message than they needed to type it, then that is my problem. The issue from there is that I can not (and will not) try to communicate with those people anymore. So no, it's not the direct reason. But if lacking communication skills becomes normal in here I'm out.

No comment.

My edits: The Grammar Nazi award is for Lux Aeterna, because he always likes to correct grammatical errors.

This topic is a nice reminder that proper grammar isn't only for school, and is important.

Meeep.

• Leader

Imagine a future where the 'texting' dialect overtakes 'proper English'!

That future may bring more logic to English spelling, but the language may end up like a certain eastern european language, which appears to English speakers to have no vowels.

Sry bout dat.

Perhaps even emoticons will become part of the language :)

Imagine a future where the "texting" dialect overtakes "proper English"!

That future may bring more logic to English spelling, but the language may end up like a certain eastern-European language, which appears to English speakers to have no vowels.

Sorry about that.

Perhaps even emoticons will become part of the language.

Meeeeeeeeeeep.

In all honesty- There is no proper English. Most of the English language is the evolution of slang.

Ma pa dun and tippsed hims motor-mule and My father crashed his tractor are the same thing, said differently.

Look at worlds like 'Cool', 'Awesome', 'Retard', or even 'Mad'. All had a proper usage, and slang has mutated them into something else. I believe a good portion of English words are also derivatives of foreign words, are they not? I mean, don't most words have origins in Latin, Romance, etc?

So, in my opinion, there is no such thing as 'proper English'. English language, and what we define as proper grammar is constantly evolving. Look at the debates over words like 'ain't' and 'aren't'.

Although, I do find it funny that while the language and its rules are constantly evolving, many of us still throw hissy fits over what we conceive as proper usage.

Different generations. :)