is my lag due to network problem ?

rajaah thunder

well .. i have already posted a topic here about my lag in ubuntu .

but i recently had 2 gigs of ram installed additionally , to make 2.5 gigs of ram in total .

i do want to play et again .

but the thing is that i keep laggin a lot . the fps too seems low . [ even after i put hunkmegs as 256 .]

is there a 3d analyze for ubuntu ?

also two info needed .

Do i need to have a seperate config for ubuntu?

What values must soundmegs and zonemegs be ?

any help is appreciated.

=F|A=Rajaah Thunder

one more help . i had just now recorded a demo to show my lag . but it doesn't show up on my silent server folder . wat must i do? shd i use "sudo" ?

• Clan Friend

- your demo should be in your home folder

~/.etwolf/silent/demos/

(note that .etwolf starts with a period so it's a hidden folder) but if you have fps lags it's hard to see from a demo.

- You don't need a different config for Linux.

- to check com_hunkmegs and com_zonemegs type /meminfo when you play, for sounds type /s_list

you will see how much is in use, and you will realize if you need to raise the value or not.

edit:

don't run et as root, don't use sudo

Edited by SunLight

- your demo should be in your home folder

~/.etwolf/silent/demos/

(note that .etwolf starts with a period so it's a hidden folder) but if you have fps lags it's hard to see from a demo.

- You don't need a different config for Linux.

- to check com_hunkmegs and com_zonemegs type /meminfo when you play, for sounds type /s_list

you will see how much is in use, and you will realize if you need to raise the value or not.

edit:

don't run et as root, don't use sudo

i dint install it as root . i dint install it in games , i installed it as a user in my home folder .

and thanks finally found the demo .2013-01-17-194931-falcon2.dm_84.zip

check it . i am just specing someone and for that itself it lags like hell .

off topic : the founders must rather change your post to "ET DOC " .. like how corey = staff and dj aka gdr dj = news reporter ...

what say?

Regarding your FPS problem, have you tried lower graphic settings?

Lags can be caused due to numerous reasons, however the primary one is your connection to the server. While running ET, try and close all other programs that might use the internet. It could also be a server side issue (that is very rare).

try unpluging your router/modem and leave it off for 5 minutes then turn it back on & restart your computer .

you should post another demo from another map and turn on lagometer

here

just a screenshot of lagometer, and the average fps value you get would do

here's the demo of me playin doc .. i get on avg only 25-30 fps ...

just another doubt . whn i click on the et icon , it takes fifteen seconds for the intro . screen to show up ... i had copied my silent folder directly into et ubuntu from windows installation ... do u think its wrong?

edit : file is too big to upload .. will provide the demo asap .

• Clan Friend

Maybe et tries to connect to the internet and fails, if there is no net it waits for a while, were you offline?

Copying silent folder is ok, well, you need the .os files instead of .dll but the game takes them from inside the .pk3 so no problem.

p.s.

If you give me a demo I can see at most your ping, not much. Because demos are recorded at 20 frames per second anyway. So just make a screenshot of your lagometer + fps meter, it's better than recording a demo in this case.

Do you have a cpu with more than 1 core? If yes, you could try to put et to 1 core and the rest in the other, instead of letting the os do the job

Rajaah Anna, again I am here :) I too have got similar situation. We both are sailing on same boat. I too get 20 FPS, and lagometer reading of 5 :( but i still played with that itself for long time. Possible reasons :-

1) Internet problem :- India is far away from the server location. As well as, in India we dont get steady network and proper signals (if you are using wireless dongle). Also, please check FPS settings. Do com_maxfps 50 in console, /rate 45000, /cl_maxpackets 100

2) operating system problem:- Our operating system always tries to do automatic updates, anti-virus also does it. Disable automatic updates on all applications and shut down all applications when you start ET game. (except anti-virus for security purpose)

Optimize your internet connection. do it by enabling your device's software to access 3G signals, disable proxy settings ( If you use wireless dongle) also, it is better to do a new installation of ET by keeping your etkey, punkbuster, and maps (dont keep complete etmain folder)

3) Harware problem:- I dont think 1.6 GHZ core2duo cant handle a 2003 release game. definitely not a hardware problem. But you can optimize your hardware by installing latest drivers for display, processor cooling. Uninstall all unwanted applications.

These are the best possible solutions. Try them number-wise. If problem persists even further, I am right here :)

• Clan Friend

- I see you lose packets (red vertical bars), but that could be because you don't get always 20fps, I'm not sure about that. Checking your connection with mtr or similar command doesn't hurt.

The server goes at 20fps, so if you go below that, lag is almost unavoidable because you don't even see every single frame.

- Don't reinstall et because that doesn't fix anything in 99% of the cases

- To confine everything to 1 core and leave the other for ET alone, I would use cpuset if your kernel supports it, there are other ways too

Maybe I'l give a script, or you can try all the commands yourself and see if you really go faster (in my case the game runs a bit smoother but I don't see miracles, since Linux does already a good scheduling job)

I'll tell you the commands later since you really have to type a lot of stuff to create a cpuset, and I don't remember how to test if your kernel supports this feature

maybe also a

# renice -n -10 `pgrep -x et.x86`

could help

• Clan Friend

Ok here's a short tutorial:

note: don't copy commands if you don't understand them at least a bit, especially from root!

That being said, go root (sudo su or whatever command you use)

create a folder called cpuset somewhere (in this example in home folder)

# cd /home/username/
# mkdir cpuset

now we mount the cpuset

# mount -t cgroup -o cpuset cpuset /home/username/cpuset/

And we create 2 dirs, one for et and one for all the rest

# cd cpuset
# mkdir et
# mkdir all

Some settings

# echo 0 > all/cpuset.cpus
# echo 1 > all/cpuset.cpu_exclusive
# echo 0 > all/cpuset.mems

# echo 1 > et/cpuset.cpus
# echo 1 > et/cpuset.cpu_exclusive
# echo 0 > et/cpuset.mems
# echo 0 > et/cpuset.sched_load_balance
# echo 1 > et/cpuset.mem_hardwall

now a

# cat tasks

will list you all the numbers that you'll have to move to the 'all' cpuset. You can move them like this:

# for T in `cat tasks`; do /bin/echo "$T" > all/tasks; done

at this point, a

# cat all/tasks

will show you that all tasks are there, conky (or other cpu monitoring tool) already shows you that only the first core is being used. The cpu usage for the second core is 0. Everything you run now, runs always in cpu0.

At this point run et. Et will be running in the first core as well! So you have to go back to the root terminal and type:

# pgrep -x et.x86

in my case (for example!) the id is 1803

# echo 1803 > et/tasks

now et runs in core 1, and the rest in core 0. Actually,

# ps -eLf | grep et.x86

or htop or top and pressing 'H', give another number as well, because et has another thread running (hopefully I'm not messing with the terminology here)

I usually move that number as well, but I see that it doesn't use much cpu, so maybe it's a mistake to move it as well, let it be in cpu0.

then I also do a:

# renice -n -10 `pgrep -x et.x86`

Et now runs on CPU1 and CPU0 is for the rest. If I want to switch them (for example to avoid overusing only 1 core) I just have to echo the core number as I did at the beginning. ET is already confined to one core so it's quite easy, but pay attention to that 'cpu_exclusive' you cannot move them around if you don't put it to 0 first then to 1 after.

Now

# watch -n 2 cat /proc/interrupts

Shows me that most interrupts run on CPU0, so using core1 for et makes sense. But maybe I should also move the interrupts to core0? Hmm probably it's a bad idea.

To remove the cpuset:

- after you exit from et, everything still runs on core0 (!)

Let's move back all tasks

# for T in `cat all/tasks`; do /bin/echo "$T" > tasks; done
# for T in `cat et/tasks`; do /bin/echo "$T" > tasks; done

# cat all/tasks
# cat et/tasks

now empty. Ok. Unmount the cpuset and delete the dir.

# cd ..
# umount /home/username/cpuset/

# rm -r cpuset
# exit

If you do it all the time, then a script would be better :P

It doesn't do miracles, I find the game runs a bit smoother, but maybe it's placebo. Decide yourself if it's worth the effort.

well , sorry for the late reply . i have beeen trying to understand the things mentioned here , but i just couldn't .

i dont want to risk any possible errors / crashes .

thanks for your help though sun .. u certainly must carry the title "ET DOC" . i think i must make a post about it somewhere but dont know where to post it .

i will get windows xp in a few weeks though ;)

• Clan Friend

well , sorry for the late reply . i have beeen trying to understand the things mentioned here , but i just couldn't .

i dont want to risk any possible errors / crashes .

no problem, it won't destroy your pc, but I thought it was correct from me to tell not to type commands from root if you don't know what you're doing. And I'm not sure every kernel supports this stuff either.

Anyway Linux does a good job with the scheduling already, the difference you get putting et in 1 core is minimal, if not placebo.

Windows xp will probably be better driver-wise for your graphics card :P