So, a problem, sort of...

While describing in 'Team Chat' where someone was hiding I used the word "Jewelry" to identify the place, as in "Jewelry Store"...the place with all the counters in it in Crossfire.

console comes back with an admonishment not to use "bad words, 'Jew'"?

Here's the problem...it is entirely possible that people who are Jewish might take offense to being called a "bad word".

Thought somebody might like to know about that.

Eh well we figure people would take more offense if Jew was used in a bad way. Like "You f*** Jew" (yeh ive seen this before). So they put it as a spam word, not to offend Jewish people but to prevent them from being offended.

Sorry you got warned for sayin jewelry store, but thats kinda funny hehehe.

I know some Jewish people but they're not really offended when they're called "Jew".

But I guess we can't help it coz there might be some paranoid people who gets offended and be like

"This server is blah blah blah and they're offensive blah blah blah".

It can ruin our reputation.

So it's better that it's a spam word. :D

:lol_2:

Oh, I completely get the prohibition of "Jew" from the server; as has been pointed out, Eric Cartman regularly tries to insult Kyle with its use...that much makes perfect sense. My observation is that one who is Jewish may be offended that their heritage is referred to on the server as "a bad word".

As I notice other console admonitions employ terms like "offensive language" and such, I wonder if perhaps "bad word" might be a mildly unfortunate choice.

From the American Heritage Dictionary:

It is widely recognized that the attributive use of the noun Jew, in phrases such as Jew lawyer or Jew ethics, is both vulgar and highly offensive. In such contexts Jewish is the only acceptable possibility. Some people, however, have become so wary of this construction that they have extended the stigma to any use of Jew as a noun, a practice that carries risks of its own. In a sentence such as There are now several Jews on the council, which is unobjectionable, the substitution of a circumlocution like Jewish people or persons of Jewish background may in itself cause offense for seeming to imply that Jew has a negative connotation when used as a noun

As for Jewelry Store....that was kind of humorous. I was getting asked "what Jewelry Store?" and the console was busy admonishing everyone

My favorite was Ramstein getting booted...

He had said a few bad words referencing the gun he was using...then we were talking about bagels and he said "Jewish people". And he got auto kicked :P

My favorite was Ramstein getting booted...

He had said a few bad words referencing the gun he was using...then we were talking about bagels and he said "Jewish people". And he got auto kicked :P

Was I there? I think I remember something like this happened >_____<

Haven't seen Ramstein in a while though.

Was I there? I think I remember something like this happened >_____<

Haven't seen Ramstein in a while though.

I think you were. It was during Vacant.

And yeah...I saw him about a week ago for the first time in a while...haven't seen him since. He told me why...I just forgot....

• Like 1

I think you were. It was during Vacant.

And yeah...I saw him about a week ago for the first time in a while...haven't seen him since. He told me why...I just forgot....

So getting back on topic....

Jew isnt a bad word and yeh some people might take offense but its that or people abuse the word....Make a tracker and suggest that they change it but honestly dont think theres much to do lol.