What is it with these smart phones?

Ol Smoke

Went out to dinner the other night when a family came in and sat down across from me. There were two adults, and a boy and a girl.

After they ordered, each one got out a smart phone and started texting or playing some kind of game. They didn't talk to each other at all.

The food came and they ate it in between playing with their smart phones. When they had finished they got up and left. The two kids were

still texting as they walked out of the restaurant. They didn't say 5 words to each other. The mom never said anything, she just played that game.

I don't care what you say, that is an addiction. No wonder kids today feel so alone all the time. Face to face is where the happiness happens in

a family. Just take 45 minutes out of your life each day to have dinner together and to talk to each other. When it comes down to it,

your family is all you really have to lean on.

Yepper!

The restaurant ordeal, is just a small picture. I have a park here in the center of town, and the courthouse is in the center. I can sit on a bench a see people walking with their head down looking at a phone or count 9 out of 10 cars with people on the phone not paying any attention at all whats in front of them or in the world around them.

When I stop by and do maintenance at the 3 Mcds I work at the kids are more interested in Facebook then worrying about doing the next order or keeping the place clean, that even includes the management. Even asking a employee at a store takes some time because you have to wait till they get off the phone.

and yes I still don't own a cellphone, guess my observation skills are better than others.

Landline is expensive but I love my privacy..and I still like to experience " Ah cool someone called ". oyea you know the old message machine still works.

Well, most of the time I'm running around with no cellphone at all

Or my oldskool 3310:p

Please note: my laptop/tablet is connected to 3G. So if they really want to contact me , they can use skype ^^

But often enough I'm sitting with friends and talking with 1 of them while the rest is busy doing stuff on their smartphone.

Wonders of modern technology I guess :s

Edited by DrJoske

My family do this too, especially me since I'm the one who's addicted to the internet. We have smartphones, ipads and laptops but we know our limits. We never use them when eating or when there's a family "bonding" time. Asian parents can be "monsters" when it comes to respecting people.

I use mine as a tool...In my line of work, I need constant access to my email accounts and such.

That being said, I'm not always on the thing. I don't have any games on it, and I will never overlook actual human interaction to play with my phone.

I observe the same thing in France. Many people talks to each others while they are looking their smartphones or have a headset with music.

I hate that. When someone starts playing with his phone when i 'm talking to him, I just stop talking and and leave.

People who took the time to sit in front of me deserve more attention than anyone who doesn't. The few exceptions can be named at one hand, and only if they've got a good reason for it.

I think it's just horrible to see how people start to lose their social abilities. Everyone is staring at his phone and often we don't even talk to each other anymore. Despite i have my smartphone with me all the time i try to reduce the use when I'm with my friends...

Went out to dinner the other night when a family came in and sat down across from me. There were two adults, and a boy and a girl.

After they ordered, each one got out a smart phone and started texting or playing some kind of game. They didn't talk to each other at all.

The food came and they ate it in between playing with their smart phones. When they had finished they got up and left. The two kids were

still texting as they walked out of the restaurant. They didn't say 5 words to each other. The mom never said anything, she just played that game.

and this is why I don't use a phone at all....

This is really depressing.

I use it for work too. It is important for my job, but if I'd like to play games I go on computer and play ET or something. I think spending too much battery and time for excessive gaming smartphone.

Rage moment, when I am talking to someone about anything and they get a text and check it right away and start chatting with the texter. GRRRRR. Smart phones are rapidly becoming indispensable tools in my line of work ( protocols, aux comms, data entry) but when we sit down for a meal doesn't matter is its at work or home we turn the phones off or leave them in another room. just not looking at them is annoying with them vibing and ping though the whole meal. I have heard a good idea to deal with the phone over users when in a restaurant, place all the phones in a pile, face down in the middle of the table. the first person to pick up their phone picks up the bill. I remember those golden years before cell phones, when you could actually be alone with your own thoughts and disappear just by not being near a phone

its a addiction like ET lol. None of my family members use the phone at the table. The table is only for eating and talking to some degree. When were out someone is always talking and laughing is more social than that. If we do take out the phone is after or before we eat so... But yeah other family are different

I will often check my phone...I get a lot of "emergencies" in my line of work. If it isn't urgent, I put it away and get to it when I'm alone.

This kind of situation doesnt happen in here, India. because people dont have high end phones/tablets :P and according our culture, all members of the family have dinner altogether at once, at our homes sharing jokes/ news :)