A little known fact about the weapon you choose and ...

Ol Smoke

Did you know that in COD4, the weapon you choose, can also dictate the size of the kill zone on your opponent? It is true and you should try this.

Set you weapon selection to the following to begin this test:

Any sniper rifle with a scope Let's say the Dragunov.

Select UAV jammer for stealth.

Select bandolier for extra ammo

Select deep impact to shoot thru walls easier.

Now play the game and see how accurate you have to be to get a single shot kill at a distance.

When you add the scope to your weapon, the game shrinks the kill zone area. If it didn't, you could use a Dragunov like a machine gun.

Now select this class of weapon:

Select the G3, no options.

Select the UAV

Select bandolier

Select deep impact.

Now play the game and watch how easy it is to get, distant, one shot kills. The game expands the kill circle because you are using open sights.

Every weapon in the game has a different kill circle and that circle can get smaller if you add Reddot or ACOG scope to it.

The three most deadly weapons in this game are: G3...M14...and the lowly 9mm pistol.

Try these weapons and you will see the truth.

Edited by #Smoke

It is not the range but the targeting size. It is like having a circle painted on your enemy. The farther away your enemy is the smaller the circle gets. But, the system will compensate

you if you have iron sites instead of a scope. If you use a scope, you have to hit the enemy pretty much inside the circle and near the center for a kill. But if you are using iron sites,

the system will give you a hit if you hit near the circle. You may have to shoot twice but at least you get a kill. This is really important if your enemy is moving. The range of the target

is where the kill comes in. The closer to your target, the more apt you are of getting a single shot kill. That is conditioned to the weapon's impact rating. So choosing a weapon like the

G3 is given several perks by the system automatically. One is for being a single shot weapon. The 9mm pistol is given a perk for being the least powerful weapon. In reality a 9mm

pistol requires multiple body hits to bring a person down. But a .45 will knock you on your ass with one hit. So the game gives you a little pump for using the 9mm.

Try the G3 alone sometime and see what I mean. The M14 has the same settings in the game. I find no difference in killing power between the two. The M14 is easier to sight with than the

G3. The P90 actually has power taken away because of the firing rate. It shoots a .225 round, but has a longer shell casing so it is okay for buildings and run and gun. But no good for

long range at all. But to kill a bot, you have to shoot them 3 or 4 times. The most inaccurate weapons of the game are the Barrett 50 cal and the Eagle 50. They are so powerful the game takes

away accuracy to level it up. Try all of this out. Change your class settings to different things. I made 5 classes of the same weapon and then watched how the weapon differed with each setting.

I've been using the M4 for so long but I really need to get back to the G3. What are your thoughts on the M4? i always thought it was the most well-rounded gun for hardcore games. Good clip size, decent range, almost no recoil, and its lack of power is compensated by the hardcore game mode.

I've been using the M4 for so long but I really need to get back to the G3. What are your thoughts on the M4? i always thought it was the most well-rounded gun for hardcore games. Good clip size, decent range, almost no recoil, and its lack of power is compensated by the hardcore game mode.

I love the M4, probably one of my favorite guns because like you said it is the most well rounded.

During the construction period of COD4, the M4 was the first weapon they designed. So it is probably the standard at which the other weapons are based against.

The only thing about the M4 is it is cumbersome in house to house combat. The G36C and P90 are better there. But if you are playing a map like Overgrown then

the M4 is perfect for those short shots and medium range. Plus, a lot of guys use it, so there is ammo everywhere. Stay with Iron sites though. The ACOG narrows the

field of impact.

• 3 weeks later...

Smoke, it seems that the general rule for all weapons is that the kill circle gets bigger if you don't use a scope or red dot sight. Although, different weapons have different sized kill circles to begin with.

So your point applies to all weapons? I can use the MP5 without an attachment and kill easier b/c my target's circle is bigger, right?

• 5 weeks later...

Thats right Ender.  It applies to all the weapons in COD4.  When you take it down to the bare necessities , the 9mm Pistol is a pretty good weapon on COD4.  But in real life the .45 cal is by far the killing

machine because it does so much more damage.  But damage is controlled in COD4 by the weapon you choose and the added perk.  For instance, try this.

Setup a test on any map.  Place about 100 feet between you and the enemy.  Take a scoped rifle and shoot him in the foot.  Then, restart and take the 9mm pistol and shoot him in the same place.  See what

happens.

The MP5 will kill easier when compared to the M4.  The MP5 shoots a smaller bullet and has less power.  So the game makes up for it, by giving the MP5 a larger kill circle around the chest area.

It's like this.  You have a target with different sized circles. 4" center, then 6", then 8", 10" 12", etc.  The target is placed a measured length away.  Normally, if you have the weapons that are in COD4, you

could shoot the 12" ring with a Dragunov and the guy dies.  But if you shoot the target with an MP5 (1 bullet) in to the 12" ring, you only get a hit, not a kill.  So the game can't make that many decisions for

each shot in the game, so it does this.  You select the Dragunov,  the kill ring is now 4" and placed on the enemy at his heart.  (Headshots don't count in this)  But if you had the G3 with iron sites, the kill

ring is now 8" say.  So if you miss just a little outside the center of the ring, you still get the kill.  But if you miss a little outside the 4" with the Dragunov you wont.  Because it has placed a limit on the gun because of the scope, not the gun itself.  It's like the game is saying, okay you add a scope then I will make you hit the bullseye to make a kill.  Take away the scope and I will be lenient with the kill zone.

This really comes in to being when the target is running.  I kill way more bots with the G3 or M14 with iron sights from sniper distance than I ever could with a scope. 

Next time you play Pipeline, be a Marine and select dual weapons on your class.  Select a Dragunov and a G3.  Then get on the grassy hill and try both of them on the guys running out of the building

behind the fence on the OPFOR side of the map.  See which one gets the most kills.  Then for kicks, use the 9mm on the guys in-between the two big buildings.  You can actually get great sniping kills

with the 9mm.