Reduce over-voting of same maps

Starting this topic since I feel myself playing same 5-6 maps over and over again. HC is objective driven and sometimes ppl do rush maps and finish them fast. I know that maps disappear from the list for sometime, but on HC sometimes it is like *omg we played this map like 20 mins ago :o*. Some maps just suck to play and ppl disconnect or stay in game wondering around or tj (like oasis). I asked players on HC if they share the same feeling with me :

=F|A=Bonamana*: do ppl feel sometimes that we keep playing same maps over and over again?

a chicken : Affirmative!

Diabollico: Yes!

Silence!: Yes

=F|A=Ivy: same but maybe best maps...

Silence!: Allies never won gold rush = 30min, Allies win 1/10 on Fuel Dump = 30min, 30min camp parade on Siwa Oasis

a chicken : thats why i want to play italy

a chicken : italy is 40/60

=F|A=Bonamana*: btw do you think the map list we have has a good choice of maps?

a chicken : Yes!

Silence!: Remove 30min maps and then it’s good

Silence!: or if you want to let these be, add minas tirith too

a chicken : maps are good

a chicken : the prob is people who overvote same map again and again

Poronga : all maps is good

I have to agree with both silence! on 30mins maps and chicken on over-voting maps. I feel reducing time to 20 mins be good. I think maps on the list are good, well maybe some fresh be nice to see for diversity but in general main problem that we keep playing same maps over and over again-is like eating same food-even if you like it you will get sick of it after a while.

So I was wondering if it would be possible to keep maps out of the list for longer? For how long do they stay off the list now-5 maps? Can we make them for 7 maps, maybe 8,9, 10? So we have a chance to play 2,3,4 new/other maps but not the same 5-6? If map is out of the list a bit longer--> ppl will vote what is there-->ppl play different maps. I don't see any other way to add diversity into voting system...:/

What do you think?

• Like 1

Personally, people have the chance to vote. And if the majority votes for a map that has been played ~20 mins ago, that's fine with me. That's the entire reason for voting instead of running a rotation of sorts.

The same thing happens at Silent #1 and I agree it can be annoying then again, Special Delivery TE for example I don't mind playing a lot. It's all personal preference.

I'm going to suggest do nothing except maybe add *good* maps - but there's a limit of 32 maps by default I think.

• Like 1

• Administrators

You can't play same map again until 5 other new maps are played.

If majority of server thinks that they have to play same map again then majority needs to vote for the map they like. Maps are chosen by majority of people/voting.

If u like to see any new map on any silent mod servers let me know and I will look into it.

• Like 1

You can't play same map again until 5 other new maps are played.

Can we make it 7 maps and not 5?... +2 is not a dramatic change really, but will give a small chance to play something a bit different.

If majority of server thinks that they have to play same map again then majority needs to vote for the map they like. Maps are chosen by majority of people/voting.

Voting system doesn't really/often reflects majority. First vote gets 3 point, second 2, third 1. If there are 20 ppl on the server-->7ppl voting oasis as a first choice will win a battle against other 13 voting other *random* maps. 27 points was the highest I ever saw in voting and that makes 9ppl out of 26 possible. This is not a majority on the server. Well maybe a bit bigger group thinking about the same thing-but not a majority. The funniest thing to see how *majority* on the server votes oasis or fata and in few mins 70% disconnects with *who voted this sh*. I always take it as a positive joke-why vote -to free up the server?

Plus don't forget that people come and go. What was *the same map* for one person can be a new map for another.

I am slow in many things including voting. When I am ready to vote -it is too late :/ Sometimes it is like -*omg oasis 12 points?!!-noooo way!!! -vote any other sh** that has a highest point*-anything really- just not to play this map.

I'm going to suggest do nothing except maybe add *good* maps - but there's a limit of 32 maps by default I think.

Dunno, maybe, but maps we have on HC are ok. Maybe some diversity be nice but I don't think it is a necessity for HC. Ppl say maps are all good.

If u like to see any new map on any silent mod servers let me know and I will look into it.

Maybe, but I cant talk for others. It was nice when new maps were added- felt like a fresh air. I personally know nothing about maps so I cant suggest anything. I would say add any new map (without waiting for a map request) and ppl will say what they think. If map will be very bad- ppl will whine on the forums straightaway-they did that before. All can say really.

Thanks anyway .

P.S I was talking about Hardcore server only

• Clan Friend

As I once said, complaining about playing the same maps again and again, would be like a chess player complaining about playing on the same chess board all the time. If you like the game, you like the game. But a bit of variety is still appreciated :P

Unluckily, among the tons of maps made for et, many of them were made just for the looks, others instead lead to a more balanced gameplay, even with different number of players. So, talking about the game, some maps make it worse and some better.

(But maybe some players like these 'qualities' in maps, for example a 'bad' or 'new' player could prefer a new map where experienced players have no clue, or a map where they can camp happily with the stacked team, and get some frags, or they just go sightseeing and they appreciate maps for the cool looks alone)

If the map pool is ok, it doesn't matter for me which maps get more votes.

Bonamana,

You mentioned that some people forget to vote or are to late to do so, in which case it might be easier to remind people (somehow, maybe a banner in-game if there isn't one already) - mention it every once in a while during intermission or we could (if the server admins agree) try a longer intermission time for servers that have map voting.

As for maps on the servers - I was actually thinking of writing a small web app in which users could vote for maps and every month or three months make a list of "top voted maps" per server A bit off topic, but here are two quick questions - but is there already such a thing? If not, is there interest in such a thing?

i dont think it can be changed so maps come up 7 0r whatever amount of time you like default is 5 most likely

As I once said, complaining about playing the same maps again and again, would be like a chess player complaining about playing on the same chess board all the time. If you like the game, you like the game. But a bit of variety is still appreciated :P

I mentioned in my first post that it is like eating same food even if you like it-sooner or later you will get sick of it. But yes variety is what I am aiming for. To keep same maps off the list for 7 maps but not for 5 is a small chance to have that variety.

(But maybe some players like these 'qualities' in maps, for example a 'bad' or 'new' player could prefer a new map where experienced players have no clue, or a map where they can camp happily with the stacked team, and get some frags, or they just go sightseeing and they appreciate maps for the cool looks alone)

Absolutely, was trying to say about those things before. That applies to 30 min maps that are a paradise for axis. Even a regular player on HC mentioned it:

Silence!: Allies never won gold rush = 30min, Allies win 1/10 on Fuel Dump = 30min, 30min camp parade on Siwa Oasis

This is a one big torture for allies and nothing more. And if it played every 5 maps it becomes a map for specking or to disconnection.

(I made a post about Oasis before, but this is a different story.)

The bottom line of this post is - I try to add some variety into what is already there. My suggestion (if it will be implemented) shouldn't really harm same map lovers and should give a bit more of a fresh air. Anyway if it cant be done it cant be done no drama about it.

Most people who vote, are generally people who do not know the new maps and prefer to play traditional maps that made the success of this game, is the first point. The second point or reason is ; most people do not play as much as some regulars who are minorities and forget to vote. And the last point; most people only play 3 or 4 maps and return the next day to revote the maps they know. This is why it is very difficult to promote or favor regular players and find a compromise between regular players who play a lot longer than players who may not realize that the maps they choose may seem boring to those who have already played. For me this compromise is impossible, unless you remove the vote, which would be a shame. Note, that regular players disappointed by a vote, return a few hours later, I see that every day. It is also an integral part of this fantastic game whose time maps, the choice of weapons, the choice of maps never satisfies the player and paradoxically constantly returns to play this fantastic game. It is also ET since 2003 :)

Prince*Jedi

• Like 1

• Administrators

Make a report on tracker to fix oasis to stop watch version settings. I believe fueldump is already stop watch style. If not create report for that one too.

• Like 1

• Clan Friend

Most people who vote, are generally people who do not know the new maps and prefer to play traditional maps that made the success of this game, is the first point.

That's correct, for example I had never seen Millennium Falcon map, after voting it I realized it's a lag fest for the server so I avoid voting it like the plague.

Make a report on tracker to fix oasis to stop watch version settings. I believe fueldump is already stop watch style. If not create report for that one too.

Fuel is not stop watch. Can we do the same with goldrush. There are more gold versions like with less tank running (only to the bridge) and closer spawn? I will report. Thanks

• Like 1

it's not so much the current selection of maps on HC that's the issue, it's the frequency of certain maps being chosen. i know several regs including myself on HC who forget to vote or don't even bother after a while, and when a 'repeat' map gets voted as the next map they'll complain "not again". so not voting tends to get the recently joined players' choice for the next map.

also, what tends to clear the server is when a 30 min map like fuel dump is finished and siwa oasis is voted as next map. the maps themselves are ok, just having 30 min maps together = server killer.

for the most part, scrim maps are always chosen because those are the type of players HC draws. like i said, the selection of maps is fine, just tweaking the server a bit would keep some players from bailing or going spec.

+1 bona for the 7 map idea for those of us who play longer than 3 or4 maps at a time.

• Like 2

it's not so much the current selection of maps on HC that's the issue, it's the frequency of certain maps being chosen. i know several regs including myself on HC who forget to vote or don't even bother after a while, and when a 'repeat' map gets voted as the next map they'll complain "not again". so not voting tends to get the recently joined players' choice for the next map.

also, what tends to clear the server is when a 30 min map like fuel dump is finished and siwa oasis is voted as next map. the maps themselves are ok, just having 30 min maps together = server killer.

for the most part, scrim maps are always chosen because those are the type of players HC draws. like i said, the selection of maps is fine, just tweaking the server a bit would keep some players from bailing or going spec.

+1 bona for the 7 map idea for those of us who play longer than 3 or4 maps at a time.

Yes absolutely- a better version of what I tried to tell. Thanks

Fuel is not stop watch. Can we do the same with goldrush. There are more gold versions like with less tank running (only to the bridge) and closer spawn? I will report. Thanks

Yes Yes, Goldrush needs a change - but not to be removed! The SW goldrush one that you are refering too would be good. I think as well as stopping at the bridge, the timer is set to 20:00 instead of 30:00 ?