Shootings in Newton, Connecticut

ApfelGanja

More than two dozen people, including as many as 20 children, have been killed during a school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut outside of New York City early Friday.

According to preliminary reports, a gunman opened fire inside of an office at Shady Hook Elementary at around 9:40 a.m. Friday. Police have verified that the suspected shooter has been found dead on the scene.

Three weapons have been recovered from the slain gunman, identified by law enforcement as 20-year-old, Adam Lanza. Police say the suspect was the son of Nancy Lanza, a kindergarten teacher at Shady Hook. The suspect’s older brother is being questioned by the authorities.

Multiple media outlets are reporting that the school’s principal and psychologist are also among the deceased. Police are currently searching for the suspect's girlfriend and another person who have been reported missing.

Both state and local police are still on the scene at Shady Hook and the superintendent has ordered all schools in the district, both public and private, to be placed on lockdown. Lt. J. Paul Vance of the state police department said that both on-duty and off-duty officers responded to the emergency.

Source: rt.com/news

What this doesn't say is that the shooter also killed his own mother.

This is what I was thinking. He targeted his own mom and a Kindergarten class. Then the fact that the police found a body in his house? This guy was in severe need of some help. My heart goes out to families that are suffering from this terrible situation.

Been following this all day at work. It's such a shock to hear about this... It didn't seem real. Once it finally settled into my mind I cried :/ Just thinking about how young they were, how traumatized the other kids must be... and how the parents must be dealing with the loss of their whole world. Many families were destroyed and I can imagine many parents will not come back from this.

It's a sad day in history and I hope those who were involved eventually find peace in time. :(

As horrible as it might seem, I am so grateful my family lives far away from there. I have 3 kids around that age and I don't know what I would do if something like this happened.

All of us parents just need to go give our kids an extra hug or two.

Man oh man.

• Like 1

This is awful. Why an elementary school of all places? Why the children? They didn't deserve this. As a parent myself, I don't know what I would do. You send your kids off to school thinking that they will be safe. That the will come home to you at the end of the day. But for many parent's, that's not the case tonight. It's just sickening that someone could do this. Said he was only 20 years old. Same age as I. There has not been one thing in life that could make me even THINK about going into a school and shooting a bunch of little kids. Prayers to the families who lost loved ones today.

http://youtu.be/_dCjm9NUZ0M

Edited by Krayzie
  • Like 1

What i'm most intrigued about is how some of the responses/comments from Facebook and twitter are all about putting the blame on something irrelevant,

or just plain scapegoating video games, drugs, movies or the media.

We can argue for years (and we probably have since Columbine) about how these things and whatnot are a factor behind all this type of violence,

but in the very end, i believe its the person (or persons) that makes the choice to kill.

I play ET, i played COD, Soldier of Fortune, mortal kombat, BF3, and all these violent games(not just these games of course), but that's what they are, just games, fiction, part of fantasy. I won't start blasting and trying to murder a whole school, because in some subtle way that's a form of escapism, a way of trying to make fantasy into reality.

But in this case, the shooter was known to have had a history of mental illness according to his brother; in that case i also believe that the shooter had the intention to kill his own mother. The motive behind all this i probably expect something like, the mom did something that pissed the shooter off so much, because this was all premeditated.

I don't think a murderer would just wake up one day and go like--- "im gonna shoot up a school and kill the principal and a couple of kids and my mom today". As such they did find the shooter's body at the scene of the crime, so perhaps this was some kind of very personal thing between them, and in the end he felt like crap afterwards, and put a bullet in his brain.

Sometimes, in my opinion, I wish that "the people's right to bear arms" from the 2nd amendment of the Constitution would just be cut off, and we just let only the military, certain security, and the police have only access to weapons but beggars cant be choosers; because we don't know for sure who can just eventually cause such shit like this--- anyone can just get a gun in some way or another and start blasting people out of nowhere.

As such, its not just about putting the guns away, but like how Obama said in the 2nd presidential debate from talking of the events in Aurora, Colorado,

it's about keeping these guns away from people that aren't mentally sane,

and getting them some kind of proper help in anyway from professionals like psychiatrists, doctors and such. At least we won't see tragedies like this so much.

Edited by deadpnk

No law, no religion could have stopped this nut job. The dude in China used a knife and got 20 (I think). Little will stop a person with a sole focus on killing.

Attacking the 2nd amendment is not the answer. The bad guys will have a gun..... no matter what laws are in place. I find the "Possession of a firearm on these premises is illegal" signs amusing. No sign has ever stopped one of these wack-o's.

And police do NOT carry guns to protect the public. They have them to protect themselves.

• Like 1