[solved] Weird lag problem

Jefke

Today I had to weirdest lag problem I ever had.

First of all my ping was rather unstable (well, going up from 40ish to 58)

This being when standing still.

But here comes the unplayable part:

As soon as I start moving the ping went to 160, while fps stable at 125 and I start lagging like crazy (headache as result)

This happened on nq1, nq2 and to a lesser degree on jay4 (jay4 still 'playable')

So I assumed this isn't a server problem, but a problem at my end (if not I should have post this on tracker, sorry in that case :P)

Did a winmtr to nq1:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| WinMTR statistics |

| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

| 192.168.0.1 - 0 | 126 | 126 | 0 | 0 | 2 | 0 |

| 192.168.1.1 - 0 | 126 | 126 | 3 | 5 | 9 | 8 |

| bras05.sn.be.edpnet.net - 0 | 126 | 126 | 24 | 26 | 34 | 28 |

| 212.71.17.1.res.static.edpnet.net - 0 | 126 | 126 | 24 | 30 | 139 | 28 |

| router03.adamtel.nl.edpnet.net - 0 | 126 | 126 | 34 | 36 | 41 | 35 |

| router02.ffanc.de.edpnet.net - 0 | 126 | 126 | 34 | 37 | 43 | 35 |

| decix-gw.hetzner.de - 0 | 126 | 126 | 35 | 41 | 108 | 36 |

| hos-bb1.juniper2.rz12.hetzner.de - 0 | 126 | 126 | 39 | 42 | 56 | 42 |

| hos-tr3.ex3k12.rz12.hetzner.de - 0 | 126 | 126 | 40 | 44 | 59 | 42 |

|static.133.72.63.178.clients.your-server.de - 0 | 126 | 126 | 40 | 42 | 50 | 41 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Does somebody has an idea what can causing this weird lag problem?

I would think it was client-sided, im assuming you dont have anything running such as downloads or streaming audio or something? are you sharing your network with friends or family? You can also check your internet speed at http://www.speedtest.net/ and see if it also shows the lag. What i find weird is that you say your ping is 50 standing still and 150 walking. As far as i know movement should only affect FPS, not ping. Could it be that your maxpackets and rate is set wrong in your profile? you can do a /players command while on server and check your settings there and modify them. The wrong rate and packet setting can make you lag even if your connection is good. hope you figure out the problem

• Leader

... What i find weird is that you say your ping is 50 standing still and 150 walking. As far as i know movement should only affect FPS, not ping. ...

Does your ping go up if you stand still, but pan your view around?

Does your ping go up if you stand still, but pan your view around?

Nope, only when moving (especially when double jumping) and fps always stays stable

ps.

-none of my other games are lagging

-installed new graphics yesterday, but worked fine yesterday

-new install didn't fix problem

http://beta.xfire.com/videos/5c9c6c

ignore the fact the fps is low, xfire tanked the fps. It's stable 125 when not recording

Nope, only when moving (especially when double jumping) and fps always stays stable

ps.

-none of my other games are lagging

-installed new graphics yesterday, but worked fine yesterday

-new install didn't fix problem

http://beta.xfire.com/videos/5c9c6c

ignore the fact the fps is low, xfire tanked the fps. It's stable 125 when not recording

Did you do this after checking your rate and maxpackets? I think its very possible that could be the case

Did you do this after checking your rate and maxpackets? I think its very possible that could be the case

all like they should be, never changed (45000 and 100)

• Clan Friend

what's your value for:

rate

com_maxfps

cl_packetdup

cl_maxpackets

antiwarp tries to penalize warping players (not enough if you ask me :P) so if your packets are not steady you may experience lag only when you move.

When you see that transparent thing on your lagometer, that's antiwarp. You should stop moving until it goes away, but if your upload is not stable then it can be triggered all the time.

• Like 1

• Leader

antiwarp tries to penalize warping players (not enough if you ask me :P) so if your packets are not steady you may experience lag only when you move.

When you see that transparent thing on your lagometer, that's antiwarp.

Is that the very light green area that I sometimes see above the normal green in lagometer?

what's your value for:

rate

com_maxfps

cl_packetdup

cl_maxpackets

When you see that transparent thing on your lagometer, that's antiwarp. You should stop moving until it goes away, but if your upload is not stable then it can be triggered all the time.

The same it has been for years now (and I tried playing with default values too, with same effect)

com_maxfps is 125 or 76 => both stable

cl_packetdup: whatever the default value is, never changed that AFAIK

cl_maxpackets: 100

(max_rate = 45000)

Problem seems to only happen on my desktop :s (laptop is lag free)

• Clan Friend

Is that the very light green area that I sometimes see above the normal green in lagometer?

yes, I don't know if every mod has it, etpro and jaymod for sure. It's made to prevent players from teleporting.

In my opinion he doesn't upload steadily, so when he moves antiwarp gets triggered. Otherwise I don't understand why it happens only when he moves.

Since his cvars are ok, I think he should find the cause of the lagging elsewhere, but at the moment I have no idea.

@DrJoske:

Do you use wireless, by chance? mtr output seems reasonably normal.

yes, I don't know if every mod has it, etpro and jaymod for sure. It's made to prevent players from teleporting.

In my opinion he doesn't upload steadily, so when he moves antiwarp gets triggered. Otherwise I don't understand why it happens only when he moves.

Since his cvars are ok, I think he should find the cause of the lagging elsewhere, but at the moment I have no idea.

@DrJoske:

Do you use wireless, by chance? mtr output seems reasonably normal.

well, laptop where problem isn't happening is wireles

Desktop is wired XD

• Clan Friend

well, laptop where problem isn't happening is wireles

Desktop is wired XD

no idea then...

have you noticed if your fps change as well? on the xfire video I can't see, since I guess xfire slows it down. If your fps are high all the time, then it's a network problem.

no idea then...

have you noticed if your fps change as well? on the xfire video I can't see, since I guess xfire slows it down. If your fps are high all the time, then it's a network problem.

FPS drops to about 124 XD or stays at 76

Network problem I've been looking into from the start.

Still haven't found a thing that's off (considering laptop has no problems)

All other games are not lagging, it really is w:et specific.

Ah well, the hunt continuous...

I am pretty sure you right about that antiwarp (if I check jay4).

No idea how it happened though and only on my desktop which is even weirder.

maybe they don't use udp protocol like et

Could be, but if it was something with my network my laptop should act the same.

So will mess around with desktop settings :s