et lags in ubuntu

rajaah thunder

hey guys , i recently installed ubuntu and et for linux , configured the sound and now everything's fyn except the fact tat the game is now too laggy .. here's a short demo of how i lag 2012-10-14-154420-venice_ne4.dm_84.zip

• Clan Friend

I get poor fps in glxgears (and fgl_glxgears) unless I kill the composite manager, I also kill it when I play ET.

Maybe something in your desktop uses your gpu (transparency, shadows, and all sort of effects)

You can benchmark from within ET,

- download the radar demo in this post and put it in etman/demos (why this demo? because many people use it for benchmarks so you can compare the results...)

http://fearless-assa..._30#entry355465

- open et, type

/timedemo 1

and then

/demo radar

it will go as fast as possible and when it finishes, open the console and it will tell you how many fps you had.

Better than glxgears since it's ET itself.

Check if you get good fps in glxgears.

Just type in terminal : glxgears

i get around 60 fps in glxgears .. is tat gud or bad

Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be

approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.

295 frames in 5.0 seconds = 58.856 FPS

300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.849 FPS

299 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.653 FPS

300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.836 FPS

300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.844 FPS

300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.841 FPS

as for sunlight's post, i downloaded the demo ... will check into it asap

• Clan Friend

so first of all you should disable vsync because for ET vsync = mouse lag

edit:

in glxgears you should get thousands of fps, I get more than 3600 with a crappy pc and atm I am doing other stuff together. Anyway I think it's a poor benchmark, I see it more as a tool to see if your drivers were installed properly, you should benchmark with et imho.

so first of all you should disable vsync because for ET vsync = mouse lag

edit:

in glxgears you should get thousands of fps, I get more than 3600 with a crappy pc and atm I am doing other stuff together. Anyway I think it's a poor benchmark, I see it more as a tool to see if your drivers were installed properly, you should benchmark with et imho.

i cudn't run the demo .. the map almost loaded ..but suddenly it disconnected sayin some "unknown error 130 "

but the loading times were slower than normal :(

• Clan Friend

i cudn't run the demo .. the map almost loaded ..but suddenly it disconnected sayin some "unknown error 130 "

but the loading times were slower than normal :(

It's an etmain demo, you shouldn't load any mod. Have you tried disabling vsync?

• Clan Friend

First of all, disable vsync if possible (I don't know how, honestly, but you might have some control panel for that) or anyway make sure that in et you have:

/r_swapinterval 0

Then, I don't know much about Ubuntu and Unity, but check if you can kill compiz or any composite manager you might have (no idea about what ubuntu uses atm).

You could try running et in a separate X server if you have enough ram, and configure it to run with a basic window manager, but that would be a bit more complex imho

googling around I found a thread with people doing

metacity --replace &

then running a game

and then

unity --replace &

You should ask someone who uses Ubuntu, because I use Arch Linux and I don't even use a DM, just Openbox as window manager. But I do kill compton (a thing for transparency and compositing) when I play et, then I reload it after.

When I run et I also use a script with cpuset, to force everything to one core, and et alone in another, it feels a bit more responsive but maybe it's placebo. Anyway 16fps is wayy 2 low for this to have any effect, imho it's unity.

First of all, disable vsync if possible (I don't know how, honestly, but you might have some control panel for that) or anyway make sure that in et you have:

/r_swapinterval 0

Then, I don't know much about Ubuntu and Unity, but check if you can kill compiz or any composite manager you might have (no idea about what ubuntu uses atm).

You could try running et in a separate X server if you have enough ram, and configure it to run with a basic window manager, but that would be a bit more complex imho

googling around I found a thread with people doing

metacity --replace &

then running a game

and then

unity --replace &

You should ask someone who uses Ubuntu, because I use Arch Linux and I don't even use a DM, just Openbox as window manager. But I do kill compton (a thing for transparency and compositing) when I play et, then I reload it after.

When I run et I also use a script with cpuset, to force everything to one core, and et alone in another, it feels a bit more responsive but maybe it's placebo. Anyway 16fps is wayy 2 low for this to have any effect, imho it's unity.

i never had this problem in windows ...

downloaded compiz config settings to disable vsync nd disabled it be4 benchmarking ... i no nthng about scripts .. my pc specs are

PROCESSOR:intel core 2 duo t2300 @1.66 ghz

RAM: 512 mb :P

HDD:60gb

GRAPHICS : INTEL GMA 950

grr ..... ubuntu users , check this post nd help me!!!!

• Clan Friend

Windows is not Linux, so the way you do things is different, of course.

And in general they make drivers for windows first, and then (if, and when they do) for linux, so I don't know which drivers you are using for that card. If there are no proprietary drivers for linux then you are out of luck (if you wanna play games).

I tell you that I go faster on Linux than on Win (radeon card + proprietary drivers), or anyway it's smoother (I go faster if I set an option in my driver that lags my mouse, so I prefer not to)

back to the topic:

- disabling vsync is not *that* important (as long as you have r_swapinterval 0 in your et config) but it should be done from some graphics driver control panel or command line, I am not sure about doing it from compiz, it 'doesn't sound right' to me, Maybe you tell compiz not to use vsync but that's another matter than disabling it globally, i.e. from your graphics drivers setting (imho)

- unity and compiz may use opengl for their effects, and they could slow down et, that's why I suggested that thing metacity --replace (replacing compiz with metacity, which is lighter) but you might experience problems with it.

And the main problem here is your drivers performance in my opinion. Even if you used a very fast window manager like openbox or similar, without the correct drivers it would still be slower than windows.

Intel GMA 950 isn't the best graphics card out there and the Linux support for Intel integrated chips doesn't even come close to Windows.

@Sun i guess your right.

And the main problem here is your drivers performance in my opinion. Even if you used a very fast window manager like openbox or similar, without the correct drivers it would still be slower than windows.

Been struggling with this issue before and decided for this hardware to use Windows.