Windows 8

JamesRyan

Hi,

has anyone tried the new Windows 8 on his own computer?

is it good, or is there actually no chaning, except the Metro-stile?

I'm thinking about an Upraged of my Windows 7.

Would you do it or stay with your current OS

Cheers

I tried it and I liked the layout and metro style. But I had problems with running games and when starting the computer sometimes it wouldn't start up, so I would have to re-install win8.

You could partition your hard drive and install win8 on it, just to test it out for yourself.

EDIT

some people talked about windows 8 in this post, you might find some useful information there.

Edited by ajnl

I upgraded because I can :P It feels better to me, but I can't really put my finger on it. If you like or ignore the full screen menu, it's just Windows 7 improved much under the GUI. Also, I haven't found much that would work under Win7 but doesn't under Win8, so upgrading will not give that much difference, and as a result, I upgraded because I can :P

I'd really like to hear more actual user reviews too.. I'd like to take advantage of the cheap upgrade but I really don't care too much about benchmark differences, I just want to know whether it's more or less functional, and why people think so, etc..

It is definitely not less functional. But solely based on the (main) new features don't bother that much. Other than Metro and it's apps, a new task manager, new lock screen, windows store, better mobile networking support, user login (handcuffed to Windows Live), more/better installing options (including upgrading, but also restore). 90% of the new features you won't need. Actually, most of the features could be achieved by 3rd party apps.

Personally I really like the new lock screen (matches my Windows Phone :P ), windows store and task manager. And I love that it is even less fancy (Aero... :/ ) than Windows 7.

I haven't bought it since I could get it for free. It's worth the upgrade if you don't hate Metro, but it is not an upgrade similar to WinXP -> Win7 or something.

I'm running it on my laptop (no need to do the 'upgrade' on my desktop though).

I also get if for free so that's the only reason I did it ^^

And I have to say, it's feels a lot smoother and boots a bit faster (but well there was something wrong with the win7 install on my laptop anyway so that can cause it )

New lock screen is nice indeed and I love the new task manager. I hated aero, but the standard now is too white :s

I also liked I didn't had to install a single driver (even the graphics driver was installed).

And local login works fine for me, not going to use shit live login thing (although I got a hotmail account I never use ...)

Stuff I had to 'fix' though:

-Metro: fixed with start8 (other option if you don't want to pay that 5 dollar : classicshell )

-Unneccary thick borders: fixed with small non install program: tinywindowsborder

Thing I need to get fixed, but can't be bothered to do it:

-If put your border color to a dark color, the title isn't readable anymore. There is a fix for that, but that's overcomplex and I really can't be bothered doing it :P.

Edited by DrJoske

Windows 8 / Metro is not touch-screen only (although some think it is). See it as a full screen start menu, where "all" programs are as a square slightly larger than a desktop shortcut.

Win7 Ultimate > Windows 8 Irrittates me the most is 8 doesn't even have a start menu, and using a touch-pad on a laptop will often slide to the new metro style menu when your doing something.

Win7 Ultimate > Windows 8 Irrittates me the most is 8 doesn't even have a start menu, and using a touch-pad on a laptop will often slide to the new metro style menu when your doing something.

check start8 => metro be gone :P

Ow and rolf, I'm not lazy

I just hate useless fullscreen menu . I really gave it a chance.

That is a well based opinion. Most people who complain gave it a chance for about 15 minutes, that is not really giving it a chance :P

Yeah but I can be browsing the forums or something and run my finger across my touch-pad just to scroll and it brings up the metro menu,