Raffle

Krayzie

Alright, so as the title says I've been thinking about doing a raffle. Not quite sure how to do it, but was thinking something like who ever donates the next month (over a certain amount) would be entered to win a new game. I would purchase the game and gift it via steam. What's everyone's opinion? This is my attempt to get people to donate more to the server, And it could be anyone, not just a clan member. Maybe advertise it in a banner on the server something like "Donate to clan and be entered into this months raffle" or something like that? Like 1 ticket = 5 dollars, 2 = $10 so on and so forth and at the end of each month we pick a winner out of a hat?

Thanks!

Edited by Krayzie
  • Like 3

Community member hosted events are always a good thing. It's a great way to show that one cares about keeping the community alive, and helps to promote certain needs of said community.

Without all of the wonderful donators around here, I'm sure Dare and Co. would have long since shut down the servers. The costs to keep a clan of this magnitude going are phenomenal.

I think it's a great idea, and I would suggest having members spread the word (if it becomes official) around each and every server possible to draw in potential new donators and/or new recruits. It's really a good cause.

I think having a raffle is a good idea. Especially if you can get more than just the regular forum members to participate. This could increase the forum traffic and be generally a good thing. I know I will participate in this idea.

I think that gifting the games threw steam has merit, any other ways you can gift?

How are you planing on doing the ticket idea? Both to make it fair and transparent?

Once some finer details are hammered out I think it will quiet work well.

Edited by Ken

Although I like the idea I got some questions/remarks:

- If the monthly donation is lower than the game price, you better just donate to the clan.

- This being an idea paid by a member, this can become a problem later on. If that member decides (in the middle of a month) to stop this 'service'. People become self-entitled, you know.

-Steam seems the most logic way to gift, but pretty much every online store offers a gift option.

Sometimes you also can buy games (and gift) from the dev themself : example

Other DRM-free (love it :P) store: gog.com (most older games, but offers the witcher 2 and some indie games)

So the gifting itself, won't be a real problem I think.

-You say you will buy a game, but will it be announced which game you buy, will the winner be able to choose within a budget or will it be a surprise from you (I vote for the last :P)

Just some questions/remarks from me...

Edited by MrJoske

Sin, nice to see you here. My goal is to ease the burden on Dare and all the contributors. If we can get more traffic and donations I think it could do that.

As Joske has showed there are other ways to gift them, but steam seems easiest. To chose the winner, I would have to find out who has donated (how much, like stated 1ticket is a predefined amount of dollars) and I would either write all the names out (per ticket purchased) and put them in a hat and have someone in my house on that day chose a winner or type them on a random picker website and that would chose the winner.

Joske, I think I would do something like $5 dollars donated no winner 10-20 dollars donated would be like a $5 dollar game 20-40 dollars would be a $10 dollar game 40-60 would be aa $20 dollar game and so on. To choose that game I can randomly choose the game, but also have people put in ideas and so forth in a thread created tto maybe track how much has been donate by each donator.

What if you dont have steam?

Well, lot's of games use steam as DRM. So for many games you need steam. You can create an account for free anyway.

Or if you don't want a steam account, but win the game. Many other online stores (for which you need an account then :P) offer gifting.

gog.com (totally DRM free)

gamersgate (sometimes avoiding steam, often end up getting a key which you have to activate on steam :P)

and endless humble stores (from the same people behind humble bundle => DRM free + steam keys), which helps the devs the most: example1, example2 => ending up often buying a steam keys that you once again have to activate on steam.

I used the above for gifting, so I know they work. There are other shops like desura, gametap, ...

But those I haven't used.

Edited by MrJoske

I prefer steam because a lot of people do use it, as well as its easy to gift and download the game. Sure if nneeded we could use a different site.

• Administrators

Q is: If our users hesitate to donate even 10$ then do you think they will participate in it?

We have only few donors who donate on regular basis.. and i am very much thankful to them. If you think raffle would increase the donation from those who never donate ...then I am up for it.

I like this idea. I think it will bring more donators in.

Joske, I think I would do something like $5 dollars donated no winner 10-20 dollars donated would be like a $5 dollar game 20-40 dollars would be a $10 dollar game 40-60 would be aa $20 dollar game and so on. To choose that game I can randomly choose the game, but also have people put in ideas and so forth in a thread created tto maybe track how much has been donate by each donator.

I think Krayzie has a good idea. People like to win things even if it does cost them some money here and there.

Dare like Moxie said, people like to win things so if we can get a good amount of donations and they can win a game and it brings in more donations I think it Would be a good thing. Only problem is getting awareness out there. Like banners and people spreading the word.

• Administrators

Dare like Moxie said, people like to win things so if we can get a good amount of donations and they can win a game and it brings in more donations I think it Would be a good thing. Only problem is getting awareness out there. Like banners and people spreading the word.

Will get going Raffle system by tomorrow :)

• Like 2

I will have to check it when I get to a laptop. Page won't load on mobile OS.

edit:

That looks good. How are we going to pick game? Or is it just going to be a random game? Maybe we should not tell them the game we are raffling so we can get more donations? Just do something like December raffle? Or do you all think it would be better if we put the game that we are raffling off?

Edited by Krayzie