Thinking about building my first PC

Krayzie

True, there are a lot of disadvantages, but in both ways. You want the files accessable when the pc is on, and if your pc is on at random times, this is not really that helpful (in terms of power consumption). On the other hand, if you want to download and you don't want to keep your pc on, these days a NAS can do that easily. Then, if you want to extract files (.rar, .zip, etc), a NAS is entirely useless. But the most amazing reason to just stack, is that if you want 2+TB additional, you just stack it in and don't need to find a NAS for it :P

Also, gigabit lan is still too slow for me :P But I can't stack TB's in my laptop (actually, up to 2TB, but I don't want to)

True, but that's why we got a 12tb nas as main (I got a 4gb nas just because I can ^^). We only fill about 5-6TB (backups on nas are for less important stuff, important stuff is on other backup :P).

Using raid 5 so we lose about 25% of the total space. So that's about 9TB left, you could argue that's a close call which it is, but then I don't want to end up in my pc with more that 2 hdd's without any form of raid.

gigabit is totally fine for me, it's enough to stream movies. Which is the thing happening most here I guess.

Ow, last thing. I'm downloading with little home server which got a small hdd. It does the par check then unrars and put the files on the main nas and removes the rar files, clearing the hdd again .

Anyway totally off topic, sorry ^^

Edited by DrJoske

Now, I'm sad that I can't get that case here in Belgium. Really want to get my hands on it to compare it to the 300r. The 300r is kind of my standard case of building pcs today, I just like the overall finish of it.

Well, I could order it in finland. Shouldn't be that much of a problem, only than the price is 125 euro. Which double I pay for the 300r so in Europe they aren't even competing which each other, but yeah it's a case to consider (although I really hate the connectors being on top :P)

btw burning much blu ray, that's why you get a nas (or 2 ^^)

I haven't gotten to play with the blackhawk, but the reviews on it are pretty stellar..and it went up against much more expensive cases in that roundup. I do have the Rosewill ThorV2, which at the time I got for a very cheap price. Otherwise I would have likely went for the Carbide 500r. One of the things I've noticed is the Rosewill stuff is generally not as well polished as Corsairs. It's nothing of serious nature, but little things like some paint in the tapped screw holes make the thumb screws difficult to get in the first few times and the hard drive mounting isn't quite as nice as Corsairs. I think the Blackhawk is a better performing case as the same price point as the 300r. If you loaded both up with fans..I'm not sure if that would still hold true. Still having the Blackhawk hang in there with cases like the Haf X which is double the price is impressive.

Nogood, does that incase INCLUDE the fans?

I"m not sure if your referring to the Blackhawk or the Carbide 500r. I'll post both. I wouldn't have posted either case if it didn't come with at least as many fans as the carbide 300r.

Blackhawk: 5 fans pre-installed

Cooling System

120mm Fans
2 x Front 120mm Blue LED Fan (pre-installed)
1 x Rear 120mm Fan (pre-installed)
1 x Side 120mm Fan (pre-installed)

140mm Fans
1 x Top 140mm Blue LED Fan (pre-installed) or 2 x 120/140mm Fan (optional)
1 x Bottom 1x 120/140mm Fan (optional)
Side Air duct
No

Carbide 500r: 4 fans pre-installed

Cooling System

120mm Fans
2 x front-mounted 120mm fans (installed)
1 x rear 120mm fan (installed)
200mm Fans
1 x 200mm side panel fan (installed)
Side Air duct
Yes

Hope that helps.

Well, I did order the Blackhawk case over the Carbide. Also got the blu-ray burner (was only 20 bucks more and came with a free 15$ Newegg Gift card). Swapped out the 140mm red LED fans, for two of the 120mm blue led fans to match the case. Decided to also get the 4x4 16gb ddr3 that was blue to match the case from Corsair. Hoping to get everything by Friday so it can be up and running by the end of weekend.

Anyone want free 1 year McAfee AV? Got that for free as well but I hate McAfee...

Shhhhhh also donated $200, but that was my "computer build" so shhhh don't tell my girlfriend! A good computer is poo without a good server to play on.

Edited by Krayzie

Well, I did order the Blackhawk case over the Carbide. Also got the blu-ray burner (was only 20 bucks more and came with a free 15$ Newegg Gift card). Swapped out the 140mm red LED fans, for two of the 120mm blue led fans to match the case. Decided to also get the 4x4 16gb ddr3 that was blue to match the case from Corsair. Hoping to get everything by Friday so it can be up and running by the end of weekend.

Anyone want free 1 year McAfee AV? Got that for free as well but I hate McAfee...

Shhhhhh also donated $200, but that was my "computer build" so shhhh don't tell my girlfriend! A good computer is poo without a good server to play on.

Well, you will need to take pics when your rig is running :P

Well, you will need to take pics when your rig is running :P

I will make sure to! Make sure your Xfire is kept open I may be bugging you the whole time I'm building! :cry

I will make sure to! Make sure your Xfire is kept open I may be bugging you the whole time I'm building! :cry

np, I never sleep anyway and can't go out (dam knee :@). So I got nothin to do XD

For anyone interested in my summary of my build:

Order Summary
Qty Product Description Price

Newegg Promotional Gift Card (The total amount of Gift Cards: $15.00)
Item #: N82E168GC000001

DISCOUNT FOR AUTOADD #53601

-$59.99

DISCOUNT FOR COMBO #1069689

-$9.99

DISCOUNT FOR AUTOADD #55580

-$39.99

1 Yr Service Net Replacement Plan For Item#N82E16827136250

$9.99
Shipping from CA, USA

NVIDIA Gift - Borderlands2 Free Game Coupon
Item #: N82E16800999294
Standard Return Policy
Adult signature required on delivery.

$59.99

GELID Solutions Tranquillo CC-TranQ-01-A 120mm Hydro Dynamic CPU Cooler
Item #: N82E16835426023
Computer Cables and Accessories Extended Return Policy

$39.99

MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Item #: N82E16814127697
VGA Standard Return Policy
MSI 626 913 0828

$299.99

SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817151095
Standard Return Policy

$89.99

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
Item #: N82E16819116504
CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

$229.99

Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, come with Five Fans, window side panel, top HDD dock
Item #: N82E16811147107
Standard Return Policy

$79.99

Nippon Labs Delux 50 ft. HDMI TO HDMI Cable A/V Gold Plated HDMI Cable
Item #: N82E16812816006

$49.99

ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813157297
Standard Return Policy

$94.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
Item #: N82E16820145347
Memory Standard Return Policy

$86.99

APEVIA CF12SL-BBL 120mm UV blue LED fan w/3-pin and 4-pin connectors and black grill
Item #: N82E16835228012

$14.24
($7.12 ea)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116986
Software Standard Return Policy
Please Note CD keys are listed on the outside of the plastic wrap accompanying your product.

$99.99

* LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner,3D Play Back (WH14NS40) - OEM
Item #: N82E16827136250
Standard Return Policy

$59.99
Shipping from TN, USA

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Item #: N82E16820147163
Limited Replacement Only Return Policy

$119.99

McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2013 - 1 PC (Product Key Card) - OEM
Item #: N82E16832484023
Software Standard Return Policy

$39.99

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822148697
Standard Return Policy
This item is serviced by the SeaGate. Please call 800 -732-4283 for service.

$79.99
Extended Warranty $9.99
Subtotal $1,346.12
Tax $0.00
UPS 3 DAYS $10.80
Order Total $1,356.92

Edited by Krayzie
  • Like 1

It probably won't be until Monday until it is all finished. Silly Newegg shipped my Hdd and Sdd from Tennessee while the rest is coming from California, so I will have most my stuff tomorrow, minus ssd and hdd. :|

Very nice ... should be a strong solid rig with that laundry list of components :clap:

GELID Solutions Tranquillo CC-TranQ-01-A 120mm Hydro Dynamic CPU Cooler - Decent

MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB - NICE Video Card

SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W - Nice

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) - NICE, I got the i7-2600K, these latest Intel "K = un-locKable" Chips have been the BEST they've ever released, you should hit a 5 Ghz OC EASY !

Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, come with Five Fans, window side panel, top HDD dock - Nice

ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Nice, not as nice as an ASUS ROG MoBo ;) but Nice.

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) - NICE, it's What I got too ... though in retrospect I think I would buy G.Skill again next time

LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM - Keep in mind you'll NEED ADDITIONAL CyberLink PowerDVD 12 Ultra SOFTWARE to WATCH BLU-RAY Disc on the drive, they DON"T tell you this <_<

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - NICE, I got the Crucial M4's

McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2013 - 1 PC (Product Key Card) - OEM - IMO only MISTAKE ... McAfee USED to be good, but for 2012/13 it's almost the WORST AV on the market, suggest KasperSky or ESST

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s - GOOD LUCK with it, I've had a couple SeaGate's FAIL on me now and I'm a FIRM WesternDigital Caviar Black man now

Order Total $1,356.92 - Typical to maybe even cheap for a nice build like this ... WE WANT PHOTO'S Before, during and AFTER ;)

Edited by LA_Kings_Fan

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - NICE, I got the Crucial M4's

McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2013 - 1 PC (Product Key Card) - OEM - IMO only MISTAKE ... McAfee USED to be good, but for 2012/13 it's almost the WORST AV on the market, suggest KasperSky or ESST

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s - GOOD LUCK with it, I've had a couple SeaGate's FAIL on me now and I'm a FIRM WesternDigital Caviar Black man now

Order Total $1,356.92 - Typical to maybe even cheap for a nice build like this ... WE WANT PHOTO'S Before, during and AFTER ;)

In purchasing the SSD, it threw in McAfee for free. I will never even install that POS antivirus.

Always ran Seagate. Only company I really trust! :)

Stupid Blu Ray player, that's probably why it was 50 bucks cheaper then the rest :P

And I will have pictures, I'm going to hate work tomorrow, sitting at work like a lost puppy waiting to go home and play with my new toys.

In purchasing the SSD, it threw in McAfee for free. I will never even install that POS antivirus.

Always ran Seagate. Only company I really trust!

Stupid Blu Ray player, that's probably why it was 50 bucks cheaper then the rest

And I will have pictures, I'm going to hate work tomorrow, sitting at work like a lost puppy waiting to go home and play with my new toys.

Makes sense on the FREE AV stuff, just don't trust MicroSoft SecurityEssentials either if you're running a Freebie AV, It gave me a virus :cry ... I got Kaspersky & Malwarebytes protecting me now.

Understand some like Seagate, some like WD, horror stories have been out on both, personal choice IMO.

The Blu-Ray Player that's just the way it is ... I paid over $200 for my HP Blu-Ray player, likewise they bundle some obsolete outdated bloatware software, but it WILL NOT PLAY current BLU-RAY titles, I had to lay out another $100 on the Cyberlink PowerDVD 12 Ultra Software ... was just giving you a heads up of what happened to me, maybe your case will be different ?

Good luck and have Fun with that Build B)

Never had issues with Seagate lol. But it's personal choice really.

On Newest the Bluesy player is bonus BD media, whatever that means. It was a combo deal with this driveuntil the 30th.

I don't run AV unless I know I have a virus, then I run malwarebytes or Housecall by Trendmicro.