Thinking about building my first PC

Krayzie

That may work out, but if you want to SLI later on, you will need one with more W. Also, having more W then needed is never a bad thing.

Anyways, good luck with your build :)

Which is what I told him this night when I helped him building that setup.

Don't forget that their is a pretty big power consumption difference between the 580 and 660ti (well, between the 2 generations in general). So I wouldn't be worried about the psu :P

Ow and you and that cooler master cpu cooler. I still regret buying it, never got good results with it (blaming the cooling paste for now XD) and I consider it too expensive for what it does. There are far better solution price/performance. But well the eye want something too I guess :P

I like your first build if anything I would upgrade the power supply (at least to 700W for expansion) and if it was me I'd go for the win 7 pro 64bit only 40 bucks more.

I am running Home Premium right now, and don't see why I would need to get a better version :P It works for what I need it to do.

Which is what I told him this night when I helped him building that setup.

Don't forget that their is a pretty big power consumption difference between the 580 and 660ti (well, between the 2 generations in general). So I wouldn't be worried about the psu :P

Ow and you and that cooler master cpu cooler. I still regret buying it, never got good results with it (blaming the cooling paste for now XD) and I consider it too expensive for what it does. There are far better solution price/performance. But well the eye want something too I guess :P

I don't really plan on ever doing SLI though. I'm fine with just one card. I'm still not set on the cooler yet, still looking around to see what there is, but looks don't really need much to me, my computer will not really be seen.

hey man, if you don't want it I will gladly take it off your hands :). Maybe you should have brought that instead of a banana box.

hey man, if you don't want it I will gladly take it off your hands :). Maybe you should have brought that instead of a banana box.

well come and get it, sitting in a pile of pc shit I don't use (only lost that wrench thingie => insert correct english term XD).

The rest is okay I think ^^

Don't go for a 700W pc unless you want to upgrade to SLI. 500W is sufficient for a decent CPU (<100W), GPU (<250W, that 660Ti only 150W), 100W others (motherboard etc), and you still have 50W spare for hard disks and stuff (=5 hdd). 600W gives enough spare. PSU's are (used to be made) that they perform best at a load of 50~80%, overkill is useless, less energy efficient, etc.

And indeed that 128GB SSD is sufficient for Windows. Personally, I store all stuff on it other than movies and all, and I feel that I have a better performance on every single aspect of computing. If you don't have the money for it, don't buy it. For the couple bucks you have spare, just buy larger.

Nippon Labs Delux 50 ft. HDMI TO HDMI Cable A/V Gold Plated HDMI Cable Item

=> 50 ft that's 15m according to google: holy crap that's a long cable.

I will stick with my cheap 2.5 euro, 2m hdmi cables :P

EDIT:

y u spending so much on blu ray burner, curious. Seems bit useless spending in my opinion ^^

Edited by DrJoske

Bluray burner :P So I can burn them, might as well.

And yes a 50ft hdmi. Need to get it up the wall, through the attic, down the wall, and into my living room from the computer room.

still haven't made my mind up on the burner yet though.

None for you Wiz.

Edited by Krayzie

Alright, I talked myself out of the Blu Ray burner (When will I actually burn blu-rays...RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT?) And knocked out 3 of the 120mm fans since the case already comes with 1 120mm and one 140mm. Also through in a 2.5 to 3.5 sdd adapter and some thermal paste.

Hey Krazie, I'm really liking the setup of what you have so far.

I thought I might throw this in here and hopefully save you a few bucks. It's by far one of the best bang-for-your-buck CPU coolers on the market IMO. There are a few others with very similar designs around the same price. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

If you want to get a little better performance out of it, you can buy another set of fan clips and a similar fan for a push/pull setup. Out of the box it works great though. I have one cooling a Q9770 C2Quad Extreme.

Also I'm sure you've shopped the hell out of cases but I figured I'd throw 2 more your direction.

The Rosewill BlackHawk- $79.99 w/free shipping from the Egg. I think this is a better value than the 300r at the same price. It also has pretty decent reviews here

The Corsair Carbide 500r- I found these on Amazon for ~$100 with free shipping. This is a better price than I've seen anywhere since they came out about a year ago. This is, IMO one of the best cases on the market in terms of price/performance. However the Carbide 300r is a damn good case with lots of room for expansion at a decent price. If it were me I'd save the $20 on the fan and put it towards a white Carbide 500r.

Good Luck on the build.

Edit: Forgot to put this. I burn Blu-Ray's quite a bit. Only thing that sucks is 1TB hard drives fill up quickly. Your probably better off staying with a DVD drive unless you'll have this comp hooked up to a TV.

Also I'm sure you've shopped the hell out of cases but I figured I'd throw 2 more your direction.

The Rosewill BlackHawk- $79.99 w/free shipping from the Egg. I think this is a better value than the 300r at the same price. It also has pretty decent reviews here

Edit: Forgot to put this. I burn Blu-Ray's quite a bit. Only thing that sucks is 1TB hard drives fill up quickly. Your probably better off staying with a DVD drive unless you'll have this comp hooked up to a TV.

Now, I'm sad that I can't get that case here in Belgium. Really want to get my hands on it to compare it to the 300r. The 300r is kind of my standard case of building pcs today, I just like the overall finish of it.

Well, I could order it in finland. Shouldn't be that much of a problem, only than the price is 125 euro. Which double I pay for the 300r so in Europe they aren't even competing which each other, but yeah it's a case to consider (although I really hate the connectors being on top :P)

btw burning much blu ray, that's why you get a nas (or 2 ^^)

Edited by DrJoske

btw burning much blu ray, that's why you get a nas (or 2 ^^)

Or just stack your pc up with HDD's. If you are the only one accessing the data, that'll work better.

Or just stack your pc up with HDD's. If you are the only one accessing the data, that'll work better.

well, don't agree on that completely. I got even a nas for only myself (2x 2tb atm, not that big one). The hdds in that one used to be in my pc, but having them in my nas in more convenient, gigabit lan so speed doesn't really matter that much.

This is of course personal preferences: I think it's just overall 'cleaner' and easier to maintain than having my storage in my pc , but well my dad sticks with hdd's in his pc (for work files => 1tb of them or so, if not more) even though we got a second nas (4x 3tb) for the whole family and partial back ups.

True, there are a lot of disadvantages, but in both ways. You want the files accessable when the pc is on, and if your pc is on at random times, this is not really that helpful (in terms of power consumption). On the other hand, if you want to download and you don't want to keep your pc on, these days a NAS can do that easily. Then, if you want to extract files (.rar, .zip, etc), a NAS is entirely useless. But the most amazing reason to just stack, is that if you want 2+TB additional, you just stack it in and don't need to find a NAS for it :P

Also, gigabit lan is still too slow for me :P But I can't stack TB's in my laptop (actually, up to 2TB, but I don't want to)