Can someone refer a good gaming desktop?

=Death Hunter=

SSDs are not necessary, but they are nice to have. Get a 120GB if you have extra money for it. Throw your operating system on it and have a 1TB HD inside your computer for all the programs/games.

This is the one I got.

Edited by ajnl

SSD is out of range. SSD's are pure awesomeness and I think it's stupid to not buy one, but you have to balance somewhere with that budget and requirements and the SSD is the easiest to cut off. Rather get a good GPU now and upgrade to an SSD later than the other way round.

These days, for everyone not interested in gaming (which aren't a lot here I guess :P) or much much data on one disk (i.e., laptops), I would really suggest an SSD. Feels so much smoother.

I have had 3 SSD's now, some over 4 years. Once I got them, I never ever installed an OS and software on something different; one of the best inventions for PCs in the last decade.

I think Waster asked the best question. What are you going to be using it for besides gaming? I noticed on your profile Death that you were a musician as well. I imagine as some point you may like to use your computer to mix tracks of your recordings etc. Are you planning on backing up/watching movies etc on your computer at all?

Before I would give any computer shop money to build a PC, I would ask alot of questions in regards to what kind of warranties they will be providing that your build will be trouble free or fixed/repaired in a timely manner. Also I would ask them to provide some photos of prior gaming builds they've done. Building a computer is a relatively easy task, but if you run into a problem then can be a PITA. I would try to get an itemized quote in writing prior to them building it and then do some review hunting on newegg.com or amazon.com. Sometimes a certain line of motherboard or graphic cards can have issues that you want to try and avoid.

At the price point your aiming at, you can get a pretty decent build for yourself. Personally I think you should go with an AMD build instead of the i5 simply b/c it will leave you with more money to spend on things like a better video card or SSD drives. The intel chips are a bit faster and offer better efficiency, but their motherboards tend to be more expensive and the CPU's themselves are a tad more money. If you can swing a little more money for the PC budget, then go with the i5.

8GB of RAM should be a starting point of how much RAM you'll need. That's a good spot for likely most of the stuff you'd be doing on a computer. I would recommend at least a 1TB hard drive, although an ideal situation is to have a 120gb SSD drive for your windows installation and 1tb for your data (programs, pictures etc). Once you've compared the speed of an SSD to your old school platter hard drives on boot up/shut down. You'll be hard pressed to go back. However the prices on those drives are still high, and falling to a more wallet friendly price.

Here are a couple of builds I spec'd on cyperpower. I'm not sure how long they keep these builds saved for. I think it should at least give you an idea of what type of components you should be looking for. I tried to include all free "upgrades" as well as upgrading the cases (somewhat) and the videocards (within reason of your pricepoint). These builds do not include monitors, Operating Systems or anything fancy in terms of DVD/Bluray drives or high end gaming keyboards. You'll need to tack on another +$100 for Windows 7. Pretty much any changes I made were on the first page. If you want to save money on the i5 systems, then dropping the processor to an i5 3470 will save you about $40. However anything below the K series is unable to overclock. If you don't give a crap about overclocking then I would go that route and put that $40 towards at least a 90gb SSD (120gb would be preferred for your operating system)

Intel: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1EFG15

AMD: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1EFG1J

If what I've written above looks like "blah blah, 8gb RAM, blah blah CPU/GPU thingy" then go here and get something that fits your price point.

• Case
    (NZXT Gamma Gaming Case, Black)
  • Motherboard & Processor
    (AMD FX-6100 Processor with Motherboard)
  • Memory
    (4 x 2GB = 8GB DDR3-1333 Gaming Grade Memory Module)
  • Hard Drive
    (2TB 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive)
  • Graphics Card
    (ATI Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card with 800W Power Supply)
  • Optical Drive
    (24X DVD+/-RW DL Optical Drive)
  • Operating System
    (Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, 64-Bit Edition)

What do you guys think of this setup???

Edited by =Death Hunter=

• Case
    (NZXT Gamma Gaming Case, Black)
  • Motherboard & Processor
    (AMD FX-6100 Processor with Motherboard)
  • Memory
    (4 x 2GB = 8GB DDR3-1333 Gaming Grade Memory Module)
  • Hard Drive
    (2TB 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive)
  • Graphics Card
    (ATI Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card with 800W Power Supply)
  • Optical Drive
    (24X DVD+/-RW DL Optical Drive)
  • Operating System
    (Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, 64-Bit Edition)

What do you guys think of this setup???

which powersupply and which mobo...

Both are pretty important and you don't want to end up with a b-brand psu :P

Edited by DrJoske

And the price of it ofcourse :P Although I can't say a lot about it since the prices are not that equal between US and EU. One immediate concern, don't use 4x2GB but 2x4GB. Better for upgrading and probably for around the same price.

I just wish I knew more about this stuff. I was searching Google. Was looking thru Walmart ones and there was a build your own option. Not sure if it was still Walmart but I tried to piece together one from what you guys have been prescribing. As far as power supply I dunno what they have in the packages or if they take into consideration compensating power for the different options you choose.

They had ati and nvidia cards. Nvidia being 2x the cost. I'll check into the power supply and what the hell is mobo? Lol

I just wish I knew more about this stuff. I was searching Google. Was looking thru Walmart ones and there was a build your own option. Not sure if it was still Walmart but I tried to piece together one from what you guys have been prescribing. As far as power supply I dunno what they have in the packages or if they take into consideration compensating power for the different options you choose.

They had ati and nvidia cards. Nvidia being 2x the cost. I'll check into the power supply and what the hell is mobo? Lol

Mobo = motherboard

Motherboard won't cause much of a problem NORMALLY

PSU (powersupply) sure does, I will never go for a non a-brand psu. Just don't trust them. Those things have the potential to f*** up your whole pc (not trying to scare you btw XD).

Decent brands: be quiet, corsair , seasonic, enermax,...

Edited by DrJoske

mobo = Mother Board :P

ARGHHH I got ninja'd!

Edited by Chuckun

mobo = Mother Board :P

ARGHHH I got ninja'd!

And I spend like 5min looking some stuff up XD

And the price of it ofcourse :P Although I can't say a lot about it since the prices are not that equal between US and EU. One immediate concern, don't use 4x2GB but 2x4GB. Better for upgrading and probably for around the same price.

Yeah, didn't even noticed that. Another MAJOR thing power consumption :pokerface:

I agree on that one, try to go for 2 x 4GB (wouldn't recommend 1x 8GB though, just to make thing complexer).

Edited by DrJoske

My girlfriend will also use it for her college classes.

If your only gonna game with it I would use amd, if your going to do office documents or video or music editing I would recommend going with the intel cpu.

Intel cpu's are designed to handle the intense computing that you need for these tasks.

If your only gonna game with it I would use amd, if your going to do office documents or video or music editing I would recommend going with the intel cpu.

Intel cpu's are designed to handle the intense computing that you need for these tasks.

Didn't know classes needed intense computing ;)

• Like 1

Didn't know classes needed intense computing ;)

Think he's referring to the video/music editing. Well, don't think you can expect miracles from a 800 dollar build rendering wise ^^

Still indeed in that case intel will fit you needs a bit better.

Office tasks can be done on like every cpu without problems :P