Can someone refer a good gaming desktop?

=Death Hunter=

Link

You can read the rest of the article (located above is just the conclusion), the differences may not bet huge, but it is still worth it to go for 1600MHz, especially since they are not that expensive. Also, when gaming, the difference is more noticeable.

Not saying that you have to worry about RAM speeds too much, I'd worry more about the graphics card, but just saying that 1600MHz seems to be the way to go atm.

You forgot to mention the timing of the ram

cas latency and so on...

Nah not going to do that, would make it unnecessary complex :P

@rolf nVidia superior: weird...

I have complete different experience, although I wouldn't necessary avoid nVidia I most of the time prefer amd. Got a whole less problems in the past with ati/amd than with nVidia.

Still atm I'm considering to get myself a 660 ti (or two) , the performance are pretty good => would suggest either the 7950 or the 660 ti depends which game planning to play.

With some of the 660ti you can get 'free' borderlands 2 atm, price range is the same of the 7950 if I remember right.

Edited by DrJoske

Ati/AMD can't make drivers. Never been able to do so for my 9600Pro (yes, old), but also for the HD4850 I had un-freaking-believable much issues with it. Not only WinXP, but also under Linux. Windows 7, quite new, worked somehow better (yet still not perfect). Furthermore that AMD is far behind on the aspect of gpgpu computing. The AMD's are way better in raw computing power, but with their stupid drivers they don't perform that much better, unless you are comparing raw computing power. Which one obviously should never do.

Hence, Nvidia is superior in my opinion. I honestly will not buy a pc with an AMD gpu in it for the next 10 years. I rather pay the few extra bucks to make sure it works. Of course, if it has always worked for you, feel free to use it. For me it doesn't, and obviously I give that huge remark to everyone asking for (indirectly) my advice.

Also, about ram, review: http://www.anandtech...the-best-ddr3/6 Note that the cas latency is the delay in clockcycles. Comparing 1600MHz 8-8-8 to 1333MHz 7-7-7, the delay is pretty much equal, but the bandwidth is more. Most of the time it's equal, sometimes it's not.

Edited by rolf

Ati/AMD can't make drivers. Never been able to do so for my 9600Pro (yes, old), but also for the HD4850 I had un-freaking-believable much issues with it. Not only WinXP, but also under Linux. Windows 7, quite new, worked somehow better (yet still not perfect). Furthermore that AMD is far behind on the aspect of gpgpu computing. The AMD's are way better in raw computing power, but with their stupid drivers they don't perform that much better, unless you are comparing raw computing power. Which one obviously should never do.

Hence, Nvidia is superior in my opinion. I honestly will not buy a pc with an AMD gpu in it for the next 10 years. I rather pay the few extra bucks to make sure it works. Of course, if it has always worked for you, feel free to use it. For me it doesn't, and obviously I give that huge remark to everyone asking for (indirectly) my advice.

Also, about ram, review: http://www.anandtech...the-best-ddr3/6 Note that the cas latency is the delay in clockcycles. Comparing 1600MHz 8-8-8 to 1333MHz 7-7-7, the delay is pretty much equal, but the bandwidth is more. Most of the time it's equal, sometimes it's not.

Ow, didn't want to anger/annoy you...

I personally had only once problems with the amd drivers (being unstable when using 2 screens), but hell I had lots of problems with nVidia ones. Last time was yesterday to be precise (with a gt 520, so no high end stuff there). BSOD until I installed the newer beta drivers, in my opinion I shouldn't have to run beta driver to get a stable pc :P (of course this is just my experience and nothing in general). So pretty much the exact opposite.

About gpgpu (maybe bit off topic, don't want to make everything too complex)

How far behind is AMD. I know cuda is from nVidia, that's about how far my knowledge goes.

Second question would be: how much does that matter in a gaming rig, for what do you need gpgpu (Physx?).

Edited by DrJoske

[OFFTOPIC]

Ow, didn't want to anger/annoy you...

So pretty much the exact opposite.

You don't anger me :P Well, the fact that you promote AMD is not something I'd like to see, but I'll forgive you that ;)

About gpgpu (maybe bit off topic, don't want to make everything too complex)

How far behind is AMD. I know cuda is from nVidia, that's about how far my knowledge goes.

Second question would be: how much does that matter in a gaming rig, for what do you need gpgpu (Physx?).

They are 'translating' the CUDA (Nvidia's approach) to OpenCL (Open thingy). The problem is that with the open thingy you want to develop for AMD/Nvidia/Intel at the same time. However, since all use a different memory approach, you cannot (easily) use that. Add to that that Nvidia has a way better usable memory architecture, that you can only be a lot faster with raw computations, not with complexer. My experience with AMD is a bit old, but with my HD4850 and later 9800GT I did some comparisons on GPGPU projects (distributed computing), both RC5 and Folding at Home. RC5 is a very easy algorithm, the HD4850 was about 2 times faster than the 9800GT. Folding at Home is more complex, and there the 9800GT was faster. In my knowledge that kind of difference hasn't been changed, actually, with Nvidia's Fermi the differences became larger at Folding. Note that for both they are fully optimized to the hardware (i.e. no OpenCL, just Cuda vs. Firestream).

And for a gaming rig indeed you do not necessarily use it (other than Physx). On the other hand, for me when a company is being capable to do such things is for me a great plus. It shows, to me, that they can use the hardware to the maximum. And indeed, there will be some overhead which you pay for, but is not directly used within gaming, but that dedication, quality of products, etc, is worth something to me. And that is why I state that AMD can't make drivers, I never got stability and I never imagined they were able to get the true performance out of it.

And of course I've developed a bit in CUDA myself, as far as I can see a lot easier to develop than OpenCL.

Anyway, as I said, DH has to choose for himself which graphic card he wants. This topic can (and is) easily be changed to a off-topic discussion. As I said, I wouldn't buy AMD, but that is my opinion. Feel free to be wrong explain otherwise :P

Yes that was a joke, and yes you already did :)

[END OFFTOPIC]

@Tulsa: Only EVGA has lifetime waranty, right?

Edited by rolf

Processors Intel Core i5 3570K Geheugenmodules G.Skill Ares 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 kit CPU-koelers Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B Moederborden ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Videokaarten MSI N660Ti Power Edition 2GD5/OC Harddisks/SSD's Corsair Accelerator 30GB Harddisks/SSD's Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB Optische drives Lite-On iHAS524 Behuizingen Antec Eleven Hundred Voedingen Be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W

Try find this in a online store its like lego have fun with best gaming rig ever :) hope the american dollar price will be sufficient .

Edited by detoren
  • Like 1

Id never touch a 30gb ssd! You would have about 25gb of actual space!

it's a caching ssd :P

Not a general ssd, still wouldn't recommend that build.

More like trying to save a bit on the hdd (going for 1tb one/different brand, might save a couple of bucks) and full ssd => samsung 830 serie or crucial m4 (but with an 800 dollar budget dunno if that possible).

Edited by DrJoske

Hahaha I'm slowly learning a little. For the most part all I understand is blah blah blah video card blah blah 8gb blah blah lol!!!

But this certainly helps. I joke!

So as I think I have all the info on what is the best, what all am I gonna have to pick out at this PC place to build? I'll have a processor, the ram, the video card, I'm hoping that the guys at the store can do the rest? Is there anything extra I should request that these guys may not know to do? Kinda like buying 2 cooling fans instead of one. Or the correct power supply etc

item you need for pc :

- motherboard

- CPU

- RAM

- Videocard

- case

- psu (powersupply, pretty important. Don't go cheap on this one)

- HDD

Other things:

- SSD (solid state disk).

- dvd player/writer => well, you could put this on the need list, but not necessary (if you got external one).

- cpu cooler, although most cpu got one in the box, you can buy one for better cooling performance.

Anyways you said 800 bucks is what you want to spend

https://www.google.com/search?q=walmart+gaming+computer&hl=en&newwindow=1&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=7-JHUKjMG5Do9gTMq4CAAw&ved=0CMIBELMY

Walmart has a cheap selection of gaming putors in your price range. You really can't build a cheaper setup and the towers are pretty cool. If you haven't built one, I'd rather go this route, you can always upgrade with proper instruction.

I would go with Phenom II X4 cause thats what I have and you can find one about 800$ + a new monitor would be like 900 or something

you might find a better deal where your at now, and I bought mines around christmas last year so it may be priced around 700 or so

AMD FX Is the newer processor which has 4 core edition, 6 core and also 8 core so its all up to you

I would go with any of the graphic cards stating up above like the GTX560.

any of the GeForce GTX are for latest gaming range for 145$ -500$ . GT & GTS are entry level gaming, HD Videos and range from 50$ - 160$

yeah prices are different a lot better online than in store.

I would wait another time to build your own PC, either have someone else build it or buy a complete

best thing to do is probably get one built cause your gonna what to upgrade later (graphic card)

My rig cost $400, and it plays wolfenstein & cod just fine. I'm sure whatever you get will work alright if mine does. Mine has really good graphics and a weak 1.3ghz processor :P