CERN experiments observe particle consistent with long-sought Higgs boson

Waster

Geneva, 4 July 2012. At a seminar held at CERN1 today as a curtain raiser to the year’s major particle physics conference, ICHEP2012 in Melbourne, the ATLAS and CMS experiments presented their latest preliminary results in the search for the long sought Higgs particle. Both experiments observe a new particle in the mass region around 125-126 GeV.

More...

All I can say it's finally time they found it.

They discovered it, but they don't know it's properties yet. And that's what most scientists are waiting for.

Will there be a need to review all of the standard model or are the properties as expected?

ATLAST .... the particle with an indian's name SATHYENDRANATH BOSE ( BOSON :D) has been found ...................................................

i am extremely proud to be an indian ........

• Like 1

raajah u wrote that before me but i think bose is not given credit but much given to higgs who even did not discover it it was bose who gave theory and higgs just extended the concept.still a proud indian

• Like 1

ATLAST .... the particle with an indian's name SATHYENDRANATH BOSE ( BOSON :D) has been found ...................................................

i am extremely proud to be an indian ........

Nope, higgsboson is one of the 8 different bosons, each of them carries a different natural power. (foton, gluon, w- and z-bosons, graviton, higgsboson, mson and pion)

He created something called the Higgsmechanism and with this he predicted the existence of the Higgsboson.

Which is why it's named after him.

Bosons itself are named after Bose. And the article he produced was about fotons not the higgsboson.

actually .. higgs just wrote an article about higgs boson and gave it to an editor of a magazine .... the editor sent it back telling him to cite some explanations .. he just cited ..tatz all .. but bose was different .. he just gave a complete explanation ...... i do not want to offend higgs .. he's a great man .. i just wanted to clear the air about bose's work .. tatz all :lol

raajah u wrote that before me but i think bose is not given credit but much given to higgs who even did not discover it it was bose who gave theory and higgs just extended the concept.still a proud indian

u r r8 .. sad bout tat though .. but happy to be an indian!! :)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is so awesome.. I remember reading about the Higgs Boson in highschool. To actually detect with a very high probability in my lifetime is such a cool achievement! Now, we just need to put a man (or woman) on mars.

Edited by uncasid