middle east situation\condition

DoC.FreeZeX

Hey.

Since F|A is a large community which Includes members from around the globe, i would like to start a topic about the middle east situation\condition.

My main focus will be on israel and its surrounding (for those who wonder im an Israelin).

The main reason i've decided to open this topic is due to my awarness of the bad image israel has in the world and i would like to make things a bit clearer for you guys. (most lightly

what most of you guys know about israel is from rumours or false\inaccurate news reports).

Also, i would like to know what you think about israel personally (if you do think about it something at all).

Feel free to ask questions as well... it will not be the first time i come across questions such as "are you living in a tent? " or "is it all send and rocks in there" :P.

So just start with what you know\may have heared about my country, and what you think about what's happening in here( and by here i mean the middle east in general and israel ).

Im intrested in what you guys have to say\think about it, and only by passing what i know forward, will you guys be aware of what exectly happening in here

GO :P

Would be the first serious discussion i open, should be interesting.

• Like 1

So do you live in a tent?

j/k I will probably lurk this thread, no question here (couldn't resist to make that obvious joke)

Well, when it comes to the Gaza-Strip, and the whole ethnic tension there... is the region as violent as it is described in the media?

I don't know much about Isrealic politics and such. Can you enlighten me in that regard?

The media portrays most of the Middle East as dangerous, I can't imagine living there. I am from Germany and I guess know next to nothing about Israel.

Just questions. I don't consider myself to be able to start a discussion due to my feeble knowledge of the topic.

When I went to Australia last summer, I also went to a camp with 40 boys/girls my age from all over the world. There were two guys from Israel. To be honest, I was surprised they could even speak English so well, they were probably the nicest guys I've ever met though. Danced with one of them ^_^

We all also had to have presentations about our own country. So when those two guys had their presentation I learnt a lot about Israel and it looks great there :]

They also gave me this snack with nuts in it, apparently it's very Israelic.. can also buy those here in Holland, but they're still yummy :]

I also was surprised they could even pay a ticket to Australia... thought they were all poor or something :/

Edited by Alexandra

For how many generations has your family been in Israel?

Also, what's general opinion on Europe or the USA in Israel? Do people like that USA is such a fierce ally and/or do they feel less enthusiastic about Europe?

What are your feelings about the long-term conflict with the Palestinians? Do you think they should be recognised as a state and be granted sovereign rights? Is there a lot of opposition to the way the settlement expansions are driving out Palestinians and/or the conflict regarding the Gaza strip coming from Israeli citizens themselves?

I've read Friedman's book "From Beirut to Jerusalem". I have read about the Sabra and Shatila massacre. I try to stay abreast of current developments.

I do not agree with the people who deny Israel's right to exist. I do not condone the terrorist attacks perpetrated in the name of the Palestinian fight for freedom. I understand the need for unconventional tactics when fighting an overwhelmingly technologically superior force, but the targets need to be military, not civilian.

I think the "settlements" are inexcusable. The Israeli's who do those settlements consider the Palestinians to not have a right to their own land, and have no one but themselves to blame for causing so much misery.

I also think Israel gets a free pass too many times from many in our country. They are not blameless for the current situation. Both sides have done their part to destroy peace talks (Arafat I'm looking at you. Sharon and Netanyahu as well)

I support an exchange of land for peace. I think Israel should withdraw to the '67 borders. I think concurrent with that should be the understanding that we will continue to guarantee Israels security, and that all armed conflict should cease between both parties.

I doubt that this will ever happen. Too much bad blood, too much intractability on both sides.

For clarity: I'm from Texas, USA

Edited by parrot

I feel this topic ending in nothing but arguments and bad feelings.

This volatile topic and one's similar never have a happy ending.

While I feel that this is an important topic and subject to be knowledgable about, gaming forums are the wrong place for discussion. There are many forums out there on the web on this topic.

To be fair it's been civil so far. As long as it stays that way this is a pretty interesting thread to me. I for one would like to know how the average Isreali is viewing the situation in Egypt. The Islamic government that won the election (but was barred from assuming power by the interim military government) is pretty anti-Isreal.

I'll write my comments right after my tests in project managment :). lots of interesting and really good questions, i'll answer each don't worrid. this is the main reason i opened this topic, people has much to ask but no one to ask it :P.

But i have to answer one question right now:

So do you live in a tent?

Yup, with 20mb network connection lol, also have the latest edition of BM-CAMLE :P .. from 0-12 in just 3 secs lol..

i'll answer everything the moment i come back, can't wait to be honest :)

I think this is a very interesting topic, and I think every place is a good place for something like this if it stays civil.

People have asked many questions but they didn't really answer yource^^

If you ask my perception of Israel, here it comes.

I believe Israelians are pretty much comparable with other western people.

The difference I believe to see is that they live on the wrong spot to be a peacefull nation.

This situation seems to result in 'war' because the solution is too difficult for common people to understand.

Fighting is the easy solution (to begin with) in a difficult situation, and it happens to all kinds of nations (yes, we all remember it here in Europe).

We do, indeed, get a negative perception from the Israelian government.

We hear about violent actions against peacefull actions (ship with food attacked,...). They really get much attention here, and theres much tension about 'who's right'.

Do note: I do not think of Israel as a violent nation, but I think many people here do. I blame the situation rather than the people (both Israelian and Palestinian). My opinion is that the Palestine people should get sovereign rights, because only in this way these two totally different nations can really start up healthy political relationships. I'm pretty sure it will end that way now or within many years. What do you think?

What I would love to know: what is the common peoples opinion about the way problems are solved there? Do they want a peacefull relationship with Palestina (and the rest of the Middle East) or is hate just too deeply anchored? What is your opinion about this?

I'm really interested in politics and even more in world politics, so I appologize if I'm taking us too far :)

I can see many people are interested in it, and I am very glad to see this. Open discussion is the key to solutions.

While I feel that this is an important topic and subject to be knowledgable about, gaming forums are the wrong place for discussion. There are many forums out there on the web on this topic.

We also have a Food and Drink section and other subforums like that, which aren't related to gaming in any way at all... still they're there because you can talk about more things then. I think this topic is alright, I like to know more about countries. Mmmh, maybe we should have a subforum where we could talk about countries and culture (sounds good actually). But I have a feeling that won't be added somehow =P

Something about yourself: I see you have good living environment. Are you wealthy or working in job with good salary(-->got loans+need to pay it)? Investing etc? Rich parents? Just curious.

Secondly: how about all of this terrorism thing? What I mean is that is there any coverage about these things and how do you feel about it? Is there really any "terrorist" or just blabla talking by rest of world? Tell your thoughts. :)

Hey Guys,

Maybe I can give a different perspective. I was born and raised In The USA (New York) and I moved to I srael 2 years ago with the wife and kids. Overall the cost of living here is the same or a bit more expensive as living in the US yet the salaries are lower.

As far as terrorism goes, I feel very safe here and in fact for my children the day to day life is much safer. For instance In the New York i would never let my kids walk to school alone or just go around the neighborhood with their friends. Here they do it all the time. The pace of life here is also much better for the most part when I get home from work I dont have to deal with phone calls emails and such like I did in the US.

When it comes to the political situation my advice is do not believe everything you read in the media. Secondly while there are some radicals on both sides I believe there will never be peace in the moddle east because many of our neighbors do not recognize our right to exist. I really feel bad for the average Palestinian that they have leaders thatdont do whats best for the people. The palestinians have passed up many oppurtunities to have their own state starting in 1948, all because they deny the right of Israel to exist. The other funny thing in the media and UN that demonizes Israel, Israel provides food shelter medical assistance to all, and yet is vilified as the terrible oppressor, yet in Syria where Bashar Assad has been killing thousands of his own people for the last year the UN nor any Western country says a word about it.

• Like 1

The US has said much about Assad I think ;)http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/18/obama-assad_n_930229.html

although certainly not enough imo

The man is a monster. Unfortunately, our ability to respond is hamstrung by W's war-mongering.

/offtopic

The US has said much about Assad I think ;)http://www.huffingto...d_n_930229.html

although certainly not enough imo

The man is a monster. Unfortunately, our ability to respond is hamstrung by W's war-mongering.

/offtopic

There is pleny of "talk" but the United Nations picks and chooses where to butt in and in the end the Syrian people lose. Kofi Anan is proving once again that hes clueless.