wired vs wireless conn. to router

Which is better, if both are readilly available?

Does it matter which band ur router is when the isp hooks me up?

I have an n band wireless router, should I ask my ISP hookup guy to do something special to help my connection stay fast and stable?

Cool, thx, i'll go hard wire and see if I get better results.

BUT, noone answered the second part of the question, about my router, any ideas?

Can't answer your second question because I am not tech savvy. However, I agree with the majority that wire is better. I currently and always have played on wireless connections (except for when I take the odd job of pet sitting) and I can tell you the connection is slower, my pings are always higher than the majority and I lag bad.

Cool, when I set up my pc station ay the new place, im going to wire hard to my router and let the other pc go woreless instead, plus I'm going to try to talk my wife into lettibng me upgrading to higher speed delivery option from my ISP. (from max 20mb, to max 30mb), maybe that will cut down on my CI's and lag, which I have grown to despise.

you internet speed depends on hardware, grade of wire used (coaxial) (as well as what rj-45 cable you use) and things like how far away you are from your isp. the fact also that you share bandwith with others in your hood that are using the same isp (so most of the time you get better speeds at night) also if your ISP has DOCSIS 3.0 (comcast is) and your modem is 2.0 that can slow you down these are a few of the factors that i can think of off the top of my head.

So, as long as the cable is good and well connected, and I am hard wire from pc to router to cable company modem, I should be as fast as I can expect now, correct?

So, as long as the cable is good and well connected, and I am hard wire from pc to router to cable company modem, I should be as fast as I can expect now, correct?

Yes.

Simply put, running on wireless introduces way to many variables that could affect your speed. This is really noticeable if you live in a highly populated area where you have a bunch of neighbors that are also running wifi. There is only a limited amount of wireless spectrum available, and many things already run in that 2.5Ghz range. For a stable gaming connection, wired is always better.

Also since your running comcast, I would recommend you occasionally run a speed test during both peak and off-peak hours using something like Speedtest.net. See if you are getting fluctuations in your actual download speeds. That 20/Mbs is likely for only the first few seconds of a download since they use that "boost" technology.