Server crash and other problems.

/gh.o.st

So far this week I have seen 2 server problems it crashed once today and earlier in the week it reset a map and game during a game. Just thought I would start this thread so people can post when things like this happen and we can iron out the kinks

b_560_95_1.png

Ya Abnerdog's been pretty messy lately. I'm now getting connection interrupts every 20- 40 minutes(used to be once or twice a week, tops), and server is map-resetting roughly about once every other day. And between CI's, many players (including me) are getting a seriously high amount of lag to the point that they are complaining and leaving the server.

I really hope that someone up there can, and will, do something to improve the situation. I don't know if it's possible or not, but any help would be appreciated to stop the bleeding, bring more players back on, and appease those that are hanging tough with it right now.

Thanks (in advance)

• Administrators

Run winMTR when you see lag. Without winMTR we can't do much. Issue is we have asked winMTR for 100 times but only few run it when it lags.

Ya Abnerdog's been pretty messy lately. I'm now getting connection interrupts every 20- 40 minutes(used to be once or twice a week, tops), and server is map-resetting roughly about once every other day. And between CI's, many players (including me) are getting a seriously high amount of lag to the point that they are complaining and leaving the server.

I really hope that someone up there can, and will, do something to improve the situation. I don't know if it's possible or not, but any help would be appreciated to stop the bleeding, bring more players back on, and appease those that are hanging tough with it right now.

Thanks (in advance)

If there is an ongoing problem why not report it in the tracker system (if you already have disregard this post)

Run winMTR when you see lag. Without winMTR we can't do much. Issue is we have asked winMTR for 100 times but only few run it when it lags.

If there is an ongoing problem why not report it in the tracker system (if you already have disregard this post)

I am unfamiliar with "the tracker system" mentioned.

Is there a tutorial for members related to this issue?

My only experience with WinMTR was last month, when I was having terrible issues with xfire, Speed told me to download WinMTR and run it, then send him the small report issued by it. So, I've done that 1 time.

Is that what you need? If so, where do I post the info?

If I can get a handle on this, I would be happy to take it back to Abner and coach other Abner regulars and members what to do, so we can get the issues resolved.

ATM, I still am not fully understanding what to do and what WinMTR is, and what it does.

Please fill me in, thank you :feedback

Oh, crud, one more question.

I can't remember how and when to run the WinMTR thing. Do you do it while the game is open and running? Or does it matter? IDK, please, I know I'm probably taxing your patience, but please spell out EXACTLY what I need to do. I can't teach what I don't understand. Thanks again,

Bug Tracker: http://fearless-assa...project-9-cod4/

WinMTR: http://winmtr.net/download-winmtr/

Download it, run it with the IP of the server without port (174.34.164.94) for around 500 packets and post the results in the tracker issue you started. (There is absolutely no need to censor any of the addresses.)

As easy as that.

Ok will do.

So, what that report means is that my connection to the server is fine, right? So does that mean any lag issues or mwp.exe crashes are do to something else? like my cpu or gpu?

Yep, it's been crazy. I get connection interrupted way more than I used to, sometimes for several minutes at a time! It's far laggier than it used to be, that's really all I've noticed though.

Ok will do.

So, what that report means is that my connection to the server is fine, right? So does that mean any lag issues or mwp.exe crashes are do to something else? like my cpu or gpu?

Yes, yours looked fine but more WinMtr's are needed for diagnosis.

The server (Abnerdog) also of late has everyone's pings listed at 999. I know as admin for Halo CE servers, this same situation would cause everyone's ping to be 0. We have tried moving the server to many different locations with no avail. So it is not the server's location that causes the ping spike. I think that there is an internal issue with the server, because certainly there are many other servers based out of the central game server location and they are not experiencing the lag.

Imma do some research regarding the high ping spike and such and see what that brings forth. Also whats this winMTR thing?

The server (Abnerdog) also of late has everyone's pings listed at 999. I know as admin for Halo CE servers, this same situation would cause everyone's ping to be 0. We have tried moving the server to many different locations with no avail. So it is not the server's location that causes the ping spike. I think that there is an internal issue with the server, because certainly there are many other servers based out of the central game server location and they are not experiencing the lag.

Imma do some research regarding the high ping spike and such and see what that brings forth. Also whats this winMTR thing?

Please elaborate?

Are you talking about Halo or CoD because I don't see how their server software could be related in any way.

I'm not sure which central game server location you are talking about. A master server? They are completely unrelated to any lag experienced on a game server. At least in CoD.

MTR (My traceroute, originally called Matt's traceroute) is computer software which combines the functionality of the traceroute and ping programs in a single network diagnostic tool.

MTR probes routers on the route path by limiting the number of hops individual packets may traverse, and listening to responses of their expiry. It will regularly repeat this process, usually once per second, and keep track of the response times of the hops along the path.

Please elaborate?

Are you talking about Halo or CoD because I don't see how their server software could be related in any way.

I'm not sure which central game server location you are talking about. A master server? They are completely unrelated to any lag experienced on a game server. At least in CoD.

As wise person once said that "We try to make order out of the chaos." I was simply suggesting that these ping spikes/drops that occur for everyone and are maintained throughout the game could be related, because they occur with multiple games and server software. There has to be something. A friend told me that with the increase in the use of the internet worldwide that this would cause the ping to increase (something like that) but I thought that was little far out.

The master server theory, where the server is based and functions, is what I was discrediting and saying had no impact whatsoever with the ping. Therefore I agree with you on this.

Thank you for the clarification regarding the winMTR. What's the difference between this and pingblotter or any other program used to record packet transfer?

Hope this doesn't come off cocky. :P