Topic for guitarists

FlatSpin

Hey everyone, I think i need some advice from you guys.

I've been playing a lot of acoustic guitar now, and I want to buy an electric one.

Any ideas what i should look for? (especially the amp, and on budget)

thanks in forward.

• Like 1

I have a 1983 Fender Telecaster Special and a 1963 Telecaster.

This is the 1983 which I use all the time now.

r0v4h5.jpg

And this is me playing the '63 in my band in 1981.

judfef.jpg

Yes the bass player is playing a 1965 Mosrite. He also has the 6 string Mosrite twin to that bass.

Edited by #Smoke
  • Like 1

I've been playing a lot of acoustic guitar now, and I want to buy an electric one.

thanks in forward.

Most guys who come off of acoustics like to play the Les Paul. So I would start there.

If you want a good house amp, stick with Peavey. Low cost and you will find a model that sounds the way you want.

I use a 1983 Peavey with a single scorpion speaker. It sounds very reminescent of the tube Fender stuff. I play country, so I need that bright twang sound.

At last i got this:

As guitar i got an Epiphone Les Paul Special II HCS and for an amp I got a VOX VT20+

Now waiting for it to be delivered an hope it is good :D

• Like 1

Actually, all you need to do to your Fender Squire is do some pickup work.

Just go onto Google and type in "Fender Squire pickup change".

I am sure there are some youtube videos of what guys have done.

My '83 Tele is not an expensive guitar, but after I got done with it, I can make it sound like a Les Paul, Strat, or Tele.

The neck was a custom add-on when I ordered it, but the rest is just stock wood.

I changed the pots on the front pickup to get a warmer sound like the Les Paul.

The first thing I tell guys who are learning the guitar is to experiment with the strings first. Try different types and sizes and blends.

D'Addario are good, but I still play Ernie Ball, because they bend easier.

I have a 1983 Fender Telecaster Special and a 1963 Telecaster.

This is the 1983 which I use all the time now.

r0v4h5.jpg

And this is me playing the '63 in my band in 1981.

judfef.jpg

Yes the bass player is playing a 1965 Mosrite. He also has the 6 string Mosrite twin to that bass.

Thats 2 x really great pictures! :thumbsup I love the Telecaster (especially the colour, mmmmmhm, cream white), and I love the mustaches!

thanks in forward.

Fender SG! Dont ask me about amps, Im playing acoustic :)

A 1986 Gibson ES 175, a 1967 (Madrid made) Fedrico Garcia classical, a Warmoth Strat clone I built myself and a for real completely original 1964 Fender Strat. Plus a couple of 1966 Fender tube amps (super and deluxe reverbs).

I used to play for a living.

thanks in forward.

one that feels good in your hands. Just like with the acoustic, take your time picking it out. For the money Japanese made Strats are extremely well made...if you can find them (used).

Amps are easy now days. An inexpensive 'modeling' pre-amp will sound every bit as good to the less than hyper critical ear as the most expensive thing on the market, if put through a decent speaker cabinet.

I stopped taking the old tube amps out into the world a long time ago; they are just too valuable. Instead I built a cabinet with one 12 and two 10's powered by a cheap ($100) 100 watt ART power amp to which I plug a Vox 'ToneLab' desk top modeling pre-amp. Total cost was less than $450 and I am not embarrassed by the way it sounds in a live venue...neither are the people I play with (one of whom uses a Fuchs).

Edited by deadauntbob

I will say one last thing on this subject. One of the deepest, best sounding bass amps I ever used was a single 15" JBL in a 24x24x18 JBL cabinet. Just a tiny thing

compared to some of the bass cabinets out there, but it was the best. You actually laid it on it's back when you played it. It looked so funny laying on the floor. But

I had more guys come up to the band stand and look at that thing, and say they couldn't believe all that bass was coming out of that little box. Sadly it got burned up

when our house burned in 1992. Luckily my guitars were over at a friends house at the time.

A 1986 Gibson ES 175, a 1967 (Madrid made) Fedrico Garcia classical, a Warmoth Strat clone I built myself and a for real completely original 1964 Fender Strat. Plus a couple of 1966 Fender tube amps (super and deluxe reverbs).

I used to play for a living.

Thats some awesome toys you got there! I dont know wich of the gibson or the Fedrico Garcia Im most jelous at, but I think it is the last one.....looking for something like that for myself these days :)

Thats some awesome toys you got there! I dont know wich of the gibson or the Fedrico Garcia Im most jelous at, but I think it is the last one.....looking for something like that for myself these days :)

thanks, it took a lot of years to put my small collection together, and not just a few chodes came and went in the process. I used to have a problem with gas...(guitar acquisition syndrome)...it took many years and lots of counseling to get a leg up on...

i kid, i haven't been cured.

the one i play the most, oddly, is the one i built. i made it exactly as i wanted it...i even went to the Warmoth factory to pick out the neck (i used to live in Seattle, so it was a reasonable drive) and they were willing to shave just a little more wood off of the fretboard radius to suit me...the guitar hasn't any flaws that i have to adjust to and it sounds every bit as good as the '64.

• Like 2