Old virus hides items from me

A while back I had gotten a virus and got some software and rid my pc of it. Now I thought that I had lost tons and tons of files, music, and pics BUT i just recently noticed tjat i found some of my lost music while searching for some music differently. It also hid some applications from me and i had to search for certain apps and put them back on my desktop.

I am not certain what type of virus this was. But will it be possible to recover mypics and music since they still seem to be there but are " hidden" in some way?

I am not really a tech geek. Im a little pc savvy. But in no way do i excel in computwrs lol just lookin for some advice on my options or what solutions i may have. Thanks

Well with win7 after random reinstall of ET the screenshots were saved to a hidden folder which is not normally visible.

To toggle the visibility you can follow this tutorial:

For windows 7

For windows xp

It wasn't caused by a virus but this is what I can think of, im not a computer geek either.

Well with win7 after random reinstall of ET the screenshots were saved to a hidden folder which is not normally visible.

To toggle the visibility you can follow this tutorial:

For windows 7

For windows xp

It wasn't caused by a virus but this is what I can think of, im not a computer geek either.

Im talkin like my whole desktop was gone. Just blank. I got some mlware remover went into safe.mode and cleaned it out. But its like everything went default. All my music folders and pics were gone. But searching through my media player library i found tje music but if i go looking hru "my computer" for instance the folders are gone and i cant navigate to find them.

Seeing the music gabe me a little hope the other day i had a cache of band pics from shows n stuff i want.

Like even my paint program. Accesories forlder is gone from start menu. I had to seach for it then drag it to my desktop.

So these toggles show everything thats on my computer? Or should i say everything that was? Im gonna try when i get home from work thats joker

Sorry about my typing. Stupid smart phone touch screen.

I want to do that but i want to get the stuff thats hidden. Am i just screwed?

Like for example, i got a program with my handycam recently. Now, i can goto my pictures from the start menu...nothing. But if I open up the same folder with the Handycam software or whatever it is. There they are. But I cant really utilize the program to save the pics. And also, like say i see the pic in that program. I can type out the location and filename and open it fine. But all my stuff is just....hidden. This blows. Better just start fresh

• 2 weeks later...
  • Clan Friend

If you have some malware hiding stuff from you, I would boot with a Linux live cd and see what's inside your hd, then copy what I find to a safe location. Since in that case you don't even run windows, any malware in your pc won't be able to start or hide anything. But I don't know if that's your case.

Or if your files really got deleted, you can use one of those utilities for recovering deleted files (usually it fails, unless you run it straight away after deleting).

Then after you recover your data you have to decide whether to reinstall your os or not, if you really think things don't work as they should.

are you still having an issue with the files?

Did they get moved to a different folder, or are they all still there but hidden? or both?

Yeah its weird and hard to explain. Lets take my "pictures" folder for example. Now, like i said the software that came with my handyman when opened it brings up the pics that are hidden. And it shows me kinda where they are. But if i uae "my computer" to try and navigate to the folder it shows nothing. So fricken hard to explain.

And yes this happened after a malware attack. But the files were there until i ran safe mode to run the malware removal software. After I rwmovedit and went back to normal mode everything on my desktop and some things in my start menu were gone. Like my entire accesories foler. All gone. I use paint to make band flyers. I had to search fpr paint and drag it to my desktop. Sucks...still lol

I know the stuff is still in there cause all my music filea i cannot acceas i can still see using win media player library search. Its just weird.

Have you tried using the Windows search function and try to search for one music or file that you can still remember. If the search is successful, the result will show the location of those files that you were looking for.

Hit WindowsKey + F and type any name of music or picture that you can remember, it doesnt need to be the exact name of what youre looking for. not a geek, just trying to help , goodluck

Yeah its weird my "name" as a user file is empty. Like everything that was in there is invisable to be . Like my music folder had all mt original recording and stuff in it. But its gone. Picture, music, all folders are empty now like theyre new. It just stumps me when i can goro windows media player library and it shows the location under users/zach/music. But when i check there....theres nothing. I lost my 500 gig ezternal harsdrive too. Had it all backed up. Maybe ill find it someday lol

Maybe, there are tagged as hidden files. From Windows Explorer's Option menu, I think there's something like "Show Hidden Files".

• Like 1

Maybe, there are tagged as hidden files. From Windows Explorer's Option menu, I think there's something like "Show Hidden Files".

Tried it lol

Eet does nutzing!

Possibly a batch script which hides/locks certain items from your desktop, download MSE.

Sorry but whats MSE? Im not the most tech savvy. I can navigate and do most thing but gettin into scripts and batches im lost.

A serious thank you to everyone tryin to help me haha this just sucks. If i wouldnt have misplaced by ext hard drive this wouldnt be a big deal :/