How to aim better?

Frick

I'm looking for help on how to aim better, here is what I have.

i7 qc 2.2ghz 4gb ram Nvidia GTX560 1gb.Win7 64 .runs very smooth, built it myself.

My average ping is 35-50 I have fps locked at 125 hardly ever changes resolution 1620 x 1050

I use wireless KB but wired mouse been thru a few diferent ones..not really any difference

sensitivity at min(in game) but windows speed dictates as well.

I'm using crosshair7 in effort to narrow doen my focus.. the dot is way too hard to see.

My monitor is a 42" HDTV (about 10 feet away)

All these HS I see most of you scoring are on targets that are the size of the dot crosshair..

I do use an fov toggle and helps somewhat but only when they dont see me first hah

How do you do it? How can I improve?

I would like to recommend you read the next tutorial made by Blade. I hardly recommend it, he is an excelent player and his aim is awesome. I know that is not the same the practice and the theory but maybe you can take some tips from it :)

http://fearless-assassins.com/tutorials/article/203-aiming-and-settings-guide/

I would suggest using a smaller screen. A 42inch screen is great for playing halo on xbox with 4 other people. But not when it comes to computer gaming. Use a computer screen about half that size and it'll work much better. I game on a 22inch computer screen.

Besides that, practice will help.

• Clan Friend

I am not superpro but from my experience I think skill is made of 3 things, not only aim, it's a chain of things and you will be as strong as the weakest link:

knowledge, technique, speed

(the 4th would be hardware/inet, but it's not a 'skill', it can only make you play under your potential if your pc is not good)

I made a little tutorial for you (and any other who might learn something from it)

knowledge:

- knowing a bit of technical stuff, like how to make a config, how to setup your mouse both in your os and ingame, how to check for negative accel and find a good sens, etc.etc.

- knowing how hit detection and bullet trajectory works, standing and crouching hitboxes, weapon spread for the most common weapons, etc. this tells you where to aim on the player model, not necessarily always on the head, it can change based on animation/distance/weapon

- maps and common camping spots in all maps, 99% of fights are uneven beause some player has an advantage of position/surprise/weapon/2vs1 etc. you need to be the one with the advantage.

- knowing when to attack, when to retreat / hide / wait, tactical knowledge/experience in general

- all the other stuff I forgot

Knowledge can be improved for sure. reading stuff on forums, experimenting, watching other players demos, watching your own demos to check for mistakes. Playing clanwars requires much more knowledge than pubs, but in pubs you need it too.

technique:

- when your brain 'tells your hand' to perform a certain mouse move, is your hand able to do it? mouse/mousepad/computer speed/inet also count

- do you have enough coordination? Can you do the basic movements well (tracking aim, point and shoot aim)

- can you trickjump? do you have perfect control of keys/mouse, for example actions like leaning fast from corners, picking weapons, reviving teammates, trickjumps, all require some control, not only aim. Gammajumping skills can help aiming too, because (especially if you don't halfbeat) it means being able to switch fast and to track slow at the same time.

Technique requires practice, but also a fast pc/good mouse/mousepad, coordination/talent, but above all practice practice practice, it's like playing a musical instrument you need practice, and even if you practice you won't necessarily become a monster

speed:

- reaction times

- ability to think fast

- ability to read a situation quickly even when you are under fire, ability to read enemy moves

- ability to predict things (counts as speed too, in a way)

speed cannot be improved (imho). It's based on your talent / brain speed (and age), but your brain reacts quicker to something you are familiar with, so in a way you can improve it (practice, again). And remember that if you predict something you don't have to react to it.

So, I would suggest you to try to improve all these things, and practice only 1 thing at a time, for example one game focus only on 1 thing, let's say aiming quickly at the head and give that first headshot. Focus only on that, even if you win a fight consider it a loss if you fail giving that first hs.

Another game focus on your movement, another on your tracking, do that until you feel confident with each thing. It's boring, I know, in fact I always end up playing for fun and not improving but it's ok for me.

Playing a lot will maybe make you a better player, but remember that playing is not training. You can play unfocused for 10 hours and not improve even a bit, you can even play worse. You can focus 30 min on 1 particular thing, and you can improve.

In my opinion aiming is mostly mouse control and a bit of reflexes/prediction, (and of course knowledge). I remember some years ago I had made a reflex test together with some friends and I was the slowest, yet I was able to beat them most of the times in 1on1, and in 1on1 with obj. even more. That probably means that mouse control is more important than reaction times, if you react fast you also have to move your mouse well or it's useless.

I never watched you playing probably, so I can only give you generic advice, maybe you are even better than me... who knows

• Like 1

It's really hard to practive when you spend more time waiting to spawn than actually being alive LOL

try to pratctise on a server without many raters, also bots are fine to learn how to aim.

maybe spend some time on our jay4 server.

• Clan Friend

do this (aiming by Raziel):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aMwPqRx2Qk

or this (BossHK's tutorial, check this too: http://fearless-assa...-wet-by-bosshk/):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf3hglpNXO0

(you can do it from spectator too, as warmup before you start to play)

I didn't put speedy bozar because I think he haxes with timescale it's too perfect ... :D

or even this (some random gammajump video I found):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_lx26bEL5o

Reaction times are impossible to improve. I have the same reaction time I had when I started et, and sucked hard. How come I'm better (still low but much better)?

mouse control is the key in my opinion

Reaction times are impossible to improve. I have the same reaction time I had when I started et, and sucked hard. How come I'm better (still low but much better)?

mouse control is the key in my opinion

I agree on mouse control part, but in my opinion map knowledge, predicting enemy positions and movements and good movement is even more important. Also visualising enemies positions and opening the corners correctly. (Im NOT talking about wallhack here obviously).

• Clan Friend

I agree on mouse control part, but in my opinion map knowledge, predicting enemy positions and movements and good movement is even more important. Also visualising enemies positions and opening the corners correctly. (Im NOT talking about wallhack here obviously).

especially on jaymod movement is important, and approaching corners by already aiming at the spot where an enemy could be is useful.

Talking about aim, another method to practice your aim/mouse settings that comes into my mind, (and I've used it a lot), is etpro trickjump ghost.

- open et

- mods -> etpro (hopefully you have it :) )

- /devmap frostbite (or any other map you like, possibly not 'flat' because it's too easy) and join a team.

/timelimit 0

/nofatigue

/+sprint

/tjg_menu

record. (move like crazy for a while in the most unpredictable way)

/tjg_menu

stop recording and replay, (maybe do also effects:none)

You will see a player repeating all the moves you did, now try to keep your crosshair glued on his head, at close and far range, and check if you can improve your tracking by changing sens. No need to shoot, because etpro trickjump ghost is 'unhittable'

do what krazy says, but I am having my doubts about how effective playing etpro can be for some after seeing how Krazy has failed to improve his game after all the time he has spent playing it :D

• Like 1

You guys are awesome I really appreciate your patience with me!

Been watching and reading all morning, gonna spend the day working on mouse speed.

while practicing that first vid.. I noticed something I never did before.

When strafing I noticed that when I change direction I still slide the way

I was going for a moment before it changes directions.. like an "Ice" effect.

Is this a game setting or is it my wireless keyboard?