Xbox Died :<

TulsaGeoff

My Xbox finally passed. It worked perfectly and then the dreaded red ring happened on Saturday. I attempted to fix it by the removing the xbrackets (screwing down the heatsinks rather than the funky clamp) and replacing the TIM with MX-3 and even tried baking it at 250 degrees for 10 minutes. It still blinks red. I bought the xbox right when Halo 3 came out so it did have the upgraded GPU heatsink. I think I proved nerdier than ever to my GF when we saw me insulating the xbox motherboard with socks and towels and baking it. :lol

Oh yeah, and now I have to open the disc drive to retrieve my MW3 disk. Boo

cold solder ftw.... basically your mobo is melted now.

i haven't fixed my xbox after countless tries at fixing it so i sold it for scraps.

if u still are interested in the 360, apparently the Slim is considered a tank now and supposedly should last longer than the previous models. (failure rates decreased like 40%)

it has more proper cooling imo (better dissipation and exhausting due to the vents like all over now and a now a large fan directly on the CPU/GPU combo chip for example)

here's a good place to look at charts of console reliability here:

results take place starting August 9th, 2010.

http://www.nofussrev...ey-results-2011

Edited by deadpnk

• 3 weeks later...

im pretty pro at fixing these things. the oven bake method however......WHAT THE FUNK WERE YOU THINKIN?!?!?! shoulda just got the heat gun and reflowed it properly. not to mention it may still just need a good reflow to spark it back to life.

@Krayzie

Graphics are the same, the console can show 1080p, but games are developed max on 720p... no difference.

sorry Capone, but thats one of the dumbest things i heard in a while. if not then the most ignorant. im not gonna go into explicit detail, but for starts, 360 and PS3 run Directx9. PC and laptops are now on Directx11........lets see a DirX11 programmed game run on console with decent framerates....not gonna happen.

Edited by Achiyan
  • Like 1

im pretty pro at fixing these things. the oven bake method however......WHAT THE FUNK WERE YOU THINKIN?!?!?! shoulda just got the heat gun and reflowed it properly. not to mention it may still just need a good reflow to spark it back to life.

sorry Capone, but thats one of the dumbest things i heard in a while. if not then the most ignorant. im not gonna go into explicit detail, but for starts, 360 and PS3 run Directx9. PC and laptops are now on Directx11........lets see a DirX11 programmed game run on console with decent framerates....not gonna happen.

It's the true, games show max 720p... don't believe?

Do some rechearce... I think you didn't understand what I said.

Edited by AlCapone :<

It's the true, games show max 720p... don't believe?

Do some rechearce... I think you didn't understand what I said.

Here is list displaying 1080i/1080p PS3 games. http://wikibin.org/a...-ps3-games.html Gran Turismo 5 looks amazing on my 55". Way better than any xbox game I've seen.

I just wanted to give the system a last ditch effort before I tossed it. It seemed to be one of the most popular ways of reflowing. Didn't work... I'm pretty sure I diagnosed it to be a blown mosfet. I already had enough time and didn't want to spend money on a soldier gun and wait for the mosfet to come in the mail and then have it still not work.

Edited by TulsaGeoff

no Al, i understand completely. but bottom line is that with a consoles "stuck in time" design, it gets outdated really fast. my hd4670 can play games with equal to better graphics/settings (@720p just for a reference. but i only play at 1080(1920x1080) anyway) in most games than the xbox could. and that was 3 generations ago as far as GPUs are concerned. not to mention that the xbox360 was released.....6 years ago? or was it 5? doesnt matter. not bashin on ya or nuthin...but its just true.

Here is list displaying 1080i/1080p PS3 games. http://wikibin.org/a...-ps3-games.html Gran Turismo 5 looks amazing on my 55". Way better than any xbox game I've seen. And on that note, i had the new Sonic Generations on PC and decided to buy it on the 360 as well for my son to play...i cried when i realized there was no AA. thought i was playin the Dreamcast for a moment....

I just wanted to give the system a last ditch effort before I tossed it. It seemed to be one of the most popular ways of reflowing. Didn't work... I'm pretty sure I diagnosed it to be a blown mosfet. I already had enough time and didn't want to spend money on a soldier gun and wait for the mosfet to come in the mail and then have it still not work.

there may have been no need for a new mosfet anyhow. the solder balls are known to come loose due to the poor xclamp design. im sure you know about the warping of the motherboard right? but a reflow/reball may have been a solution coupled with the clamp fix. i know what you mean about the not gettin a heat gun tho, i got two dead 360s collection dust. had one workin with just the clamp fix and added pressure to the mosfet but thats only temporary. died not too long ago again and just dont feel like reflown. Achiyan = Lazy :P

Edited by Achiyan

lol @ HD gaming war....

360 wont natively render the newest games at 1080 resolution.... too much graphics candy like for example screen space ambient occlusion was barely implemented in Uncharted 3 for the PS3 but even then that was pretty much using 88-100 percent of ps3's power

and in halo 3 and eventualy reach, the large drawing distances that it has on the Halo engine forced bungie to scoop down to 1152x640 resolution.... and barely 720 for Reach....

consoles be so far behind... just look at BF3 on pc, then look at it for 360 and PS3 :| :spam herp.

consoles be so far behind... just look at BF3 on pc, then look at it for 360 and PS3 :| :spam herp.

I have BF2 BC on xbox and PC. It is indeed no comparison. The battlefield games looks absolutely terrible on the 360. There is just too much rending with all the foliage and terrain for the hardware. Also the price points are no comparison either. Graphics cards alone can cost almost triple what a single console does. The power supply on my PC costs more than an Xbox or PS3...

The 360 was released in 2005 which you would have to compare 6800 and 7800GT graphics cards to get an idea of what was available. Even then the DX9 7800GT was more powerful than an Xbox. A 6600GT could barely run ET with full graphics.

Even with the 360 being so dated, I enjoy playing the COD series on the Xbox more than the PC. Not sure why...

Edited by TulsaGeoff