Building a new computer :D

ajnl

I ordered all the parts from the USA and sent to my brother. Since he lives there. I'll be visiting him next week, so I'll put it together and bring it back.

IF I bought all the parts here in the Netherlands, it would be A LOT more expensive. At least 20% more.

Obviously, in the USA you don't have the 19% tax as we do have here (I no idea how the hell the Americans pay their tax...). Furthermore, if you get caught at the douane (customs) you'll have to pay an additional 6% (over both original pricing and tax). That is, if you report it. If you don't report it you may get into trouble for tax evation (although I might be the case that since you're not required to help your own investigation for crimes you're thereby not required to report it). Add to that that in Europe the laws for buying consumer electronics on warranty is a lot better, default 2 year where in the USA you only have manufacturers warranty (usually one year).

Nice machine tho. Especially a nice SSD :) On what resolution will you be gaming? The 1GB memory might be not enough if you're running ultra-high screen, but I guess even for up to 1920xsomething it's sufficient :)

Obviously, in the USA you don't have the 19% tax as we do have here (I no idea how the hell the Americans pay their tax...). Furthermore, if you get caught at the douane (customs) you'll have to pay an additional 6% (over both original pricing and tax). That is, if you report it. If you don't report it you may get into trouble for tax evation (although I might be the case that since you're not required to help your own investigation for crimes you're thereby not required to report it). Add to that that in Europe the laws for buying consumer electronics on warranty is a lot better, default 2 year where in the USA you only have manufacturers warranty (usually one year).

Nice machine tho. Especially a nice SSD :) On what resolution will you be gaming? The 1GB memory might be not enough if you're running ultra-high screen, but I guess even for up to 1920xsomething it's sufficient :)

Yeah, not only the tax. But the difference between usd and euros is around 20-30% depending on the day lol.

Oh, never declare anything and they never check anything lol. Idk about u, but I've never declared anything for customs. Plus how can they tax me on something I will be using. It's my own personal use. Anyways, don't worry about that part, they won't catch it ;)

Yep the video card is basically the slowest part. I did that on purpose to keep the price down a bit, to have room for upgrades later on, and because the games I'm playing right now don't need a stronger one. So probably this summer I'll upgrade to a new videocard or put two videocards in, not sure yet. I believe the motherboard has room for three video cards.

Even if you use it yourself, you'll still have to pay tax. How do you think that's done in regular shops here? :P But indeed, I've never had to report anything, but I never imported from outside Europe other than a few small souvenirs (and up to 450E there's no importtax iirc).

Anyway, have fun with your pc :)

• 2 weeks later...

nice pc, really nice case

never felt there was any performance difference to putting my games on an ssd. right now i just run the os and a few programs i use the most. couldnt really fit all my games anyway someone around a tb of game installs :<

nice pc, really nice case

never felt there was any performance difference to putting my games on an ssd. right now i just run the os and a few programs i use the most. couldnt really fit all my games anyway someone around a tb of game installs :<

Thanks! :P

Yeah I was planning on putting my operating system and Flight Simulator X on the SSD and the rest on my 1 TB HD.

• 2 years later...

Added a "new" graphics card, thanks to Dak. link

Got the R7970, which probably pushed the amount of watts the computer uses to the limit of the power supply.

Will make pictures later, so far it is an awesome video card. Windows experience rating is up to 7.9.

Lol it was very tempting to donate higher than your $100, but then I thought it would be a **** move.

I want pics

100 euros* ;).

I wouldn't have minded, the point was for people to bid. But thank you, I really wanted a new video card..and this one is perfect.

Edited by ajnl