Police Brutality

Spitfire

@ nielsvd and funk lol so we dont get an arguement bout the little part of the clip....those protesters had been there for a few days leadin up to the spraying. they were informed it wasnt allowed, heres the link to one of the story (sure you can research it more if ya like, this is just one article):

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=14990310

"Annette Spicuzza, the UC Davis police chief, said the use of the pepper spray became a last-resort tactic for officers, who were surrounded by the demonstrators."

from the article....

as for the police brutality. It happens, thats why we got lawyers. Course still not sayin its right but some guys are just doin their jobs..like funk stated.

I've worked at occupy protest most of em are teens that think that they KNOW rights. They spit on cops that do there job and use violence against police/firefighters/marshal/DEA/etc they get there panties in a wad. When they charge then the cops feel threaten he/she sprays them and then they put a rage on the net and get "sympathy" from other butt hurt teens to me its all bullshit we HAVE the RIGHT to come home to our family and that's why we have the use of force, come out with something bigger than your opponent. Don't get me wrong they're cops that take it too far I've seen it when i was a sheriff's captain, bloody hell I've fired people for it really things aren't what they seem nowadays.

• Like 1

Iwas watching a UK programme the other day called Coppers must say 1 word kept popping up proportionate good word I think!!! Using force proportionate to the perpertrator is a good way to look at these things. We will never knw the full story of these "police brutality " cases but hey these guys hav every right to go home in one piece after work as any person does. Also maybe if the police were not tied up so much by red tape they would have more respect be more feared and less crimes would be commited !!! Sorry but I am old fashioned and think the world has gone to shit with all these Human rights laws only ppl that seem to be protected are the criminals !!!!

• Like 1

I'd also like to say that we have the exact opposite problem in the Netherlands. Police aren't aggressive enough.

Also, being a police officer isn't an easy job. Day after day your put your life on the line for the general public and constantly dealing with the same idiots constantly. Its like having the same idiot returning everyday to your server, but in real life u can't just type in a command and ban them. People need to stop trying to aggravate them just for "fun".

Is there police brutality, sure. Is it rlly that big of a problem in the USA, I doubt that. There are bigger problems. Also, most of the time, I'd rather have the police be too aggressive instead of not aggressive enough.

Just my two cents, take it or leave it.

Iwas watching a UK programme the other day called Coppers must say 1 word kept popping up proportionate good word I think!!! Using force proportionate to the perpertrator is a good way to look at these things. We will never knw the full story of these "police brutality " cases but hey these guys hav every right to go home in one piece after work as any person does. Also maybe if the police were not tied up so much by red tape they would have more respect be more feared and less crimes would be commited !!! Sorry but I am old fashioned and think the world has gone to shit with all these Human rights laws only ppl that seem to be protected are the criminals !!!!

Agreed, ppl don't respect the police in the Netherlands either.

Edited by ajnl
  • Like 1

Peaceful protest sounds wonderful does it not? Well just because a protest, that is what it is, is peaceful does not give you the right to block my civil rights and liberties. How soon we forget that even a peaceful demonstration may inhibit anothers ability to do what they want to do hence you get the teargas or pepper spray. Example: You and your frends decide you want to hold a demonstration on a sidewalk or in front of a building. You now have violated my rights because I do not have clear unmolested path down sidewalk or to the door. That is what is called the bigger picture. A growing problem with the world is people do what they want to do and do not care about others.

I'm sorry but are you seriously going to compare blocking a sidewalk, to spraying people in the eyes with teargas? The people in the video could've EASILY just walked through the gras for about 10 feet max. I understand that, that's inconvenient but you can't possibly compare that to assaulting people? Those police officers acted like they were at the London Riots or a part of the Arabic revolution or something. I understand that when you aren't allowed to hold a protest, that you take a risk, but the ammount of violence used, compared to the ammount of inconvenience those protesters are causing is completely disproportional, at least in my humble opinion.

@ nielsvd and funk lol so we dont get an arguement bout the little part of the clip....those protesters had been there for a few days leadin up to the spraying. they were informed it wasnt allowed, heres the link to one of the story (sure you can research it more if ya like, this is just one article):

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=14990310

"Annette Spicuzza, the UC Davis police chief, said the use of the pepper spray became a last-resort tactic for officers, who were surrounded by the demonstrators."

from the article....

as for the police brutality. It happens, thats why we got lawyers. Course still not sayin its right but some guys are just doin their jobs..like funk stated.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I know that they had been forbidden to sit and protest there and I realize that when they decided to stay there, that they were taking a risk. However, as I said in the part above, the ammount of violence used, compared to the inconvenience the protesters were causing was completely out of proportion. Infact, protesting against things you disagree on is one of the only non-violent ways people still have, of showing that they disagree with something. When police officers decide to use a disproportional ammount of violence on protesters, they are pretty much cutting off every non-violent way of protesting. You know what that leaves you with? Using violence, which is something I believe everyone would like to make sure will not happen.

I've worked at occupy protest most of em are teens that think that they KNOW rights. They spit on cops that do there job and use violence against police/firefighters/marshal/DEA/etc they get there panties in a wad. When they charge then the cops feel threaten he/she sprays them and then they put a rage on the net and get "sympathy" from other butt hurt teens to me its all bullshit we HAVE the RIGHT to come home to our family and that's why we have the use of force, come out with something bigger than your opponent. Don't get me wrong they're cops that take it too far I've seen it when i was a sheriff's captain, bloody hell I've fired people for it really things aren't what they seem nowadays.

I understand that a lot of people, mainly youngsters, have no idea what they are talking about. A few years back we had a lot of high school students here protesting against a new law, that ended up in small riots all across the country. I was ashamed to see how many of the protesters seemed to have no clue what they were protesting for and just saw it as an excuse to call a whole lot of sh*t and to break things that weren't there's. However, that still does not change the fact that the core idea of the protests was something that I supported. Just because people act something out in a wrong way, doesn't mean that the whole idea behind something is wrong. Same with police officers. Some of them mess up on the job, doesn't make all police officers bad, does it?

Also, I hope that you don't count me as one off those 'butthurt teenagers' ;) I'm just trying to defend my point of view here :P

Meh.

There was a similar video on the internet where a cop beat up this arrested drunk at a station, unfortunately it was caught on camera and the cop was fired.

He got a job at another station not too far away not too long after.