Never mind Steve Jobs, what about the true genius?

Chuckun

wow....

the thing is steve jobs was always the big, vivacious, grand, and superlative (flashy in short lol) of a person according to what his reputation was (i'm lolling at the fact that obama and apple co. call him a icon--even reporting his death-- so to speak after reading about Dennis Ritchie now),

and this was the guy behind the curtain running the show... secretly in front of our faces after all this time.

i feel bad somewhat, because if you see your work all over the place, and someone like steve makes it feel like as if they invented it;

i'd feel cheated, betrayed somewhat.

knowing about him now makes me completely think different about technology now... and the magnitude of his legacy... yet its really unknown.

only thing apple i have now is my iPod, and i can say its dennis' work now. (fundamentally his, as chuck said.)

You can't really expect the mainstream media to cover the death of a person who never got into the mainstream.

i agree with that... it seems like he wanted to be behind the curtain, in my opinion.

but why if that was the case?

is it because he didn't want the fame, or the spotlight?

if so i guess he's someone that doesn't care about fame lol, i don't know.

thing is mainstream media sucks, i want them to research about dennis ritchie after reading the wiki article now, but that's probably not going to happen, too late for that.

Like always, those people who can promote their work best get the praise..

I guess that rings true now.

I think it's pretty disgraceful that this guy's departure never got any recognition because some flashy guy who used his work to create a company; died.

i now feel the same too chuck.

thank you for posting this.

+1 ftw.

Edited by deadpnk
  • Like 1

Yes. Apart from the physical aspect, the iPhone is fundamentally Dennis' produce.

The problem with internet is that you can't notice sarcasm. But let's hope you do. Otherwise those who invented the wheel are also those who invented the car? Really?

There is a huge difference in making things to make things, and making things for the public. For the first one you have to be formal, for the second you have to be creative. And for many ICT related products you need both.

The problem with internet is that you can't notice sarcasm. But let's hope you do. Otherwise those who invented the wheel are also those who invented the car? Really?

There is a huge difference in making things to make things, and making things for the public. For the first one you have to be formal, for the second you have to be creative. And for many ICT related products you need both.

I noticed the sarcasm :P this is just quite a rage topic for me right now :P

And fundamentally, the car IS a partial product of the inventor of the wheel.. However, that is far different.. Only the wheel is used on a car, the rest is totally new.. But the entire OS of Apple products is built on DR's work.. And the machines that made the hardware were probably programmed with RDs work too :P

I ignored the existence of this person, thx for having learnt me something. I don't have any apple production but it's sad. Hope he had a good life.

RIP

• Like 1

And fundamentally, the car IS a partial product of the inventor of the wheel.. However, that is far different.. Only the wheel is used on a car, the rest is totally new.. But the entire OS of Apple products is built on DR's work.. And the machines that made the hardware were probably programmed with RDs work too :P

Let me see. iOS is based on MacOS. MacOS is based on BSD. BSD is based on Unix. And there we have Dennis' influence. I see that it is indeed a fundamental part, but when I consider the changes over time added by Jobs' people, I think that his influence on the current product is overrated; although he historically came up with a great thing.

But that same holds for the wheel ;)

Let me see. iOS is based on MacOS. MacOS is based on BSD. BSD is based on Unix. And there we have Dennis' influence. I see that it is indeed a fundamental part, but when I consider the changes over time added by Jobs' people, I think that his influence on the current product is overrated; although he historically came up with a great thing.

But that same holds for the wheel ;)

No it doesn't though :P The entire OS of mac products are based on RD's work. Only the wheels are based on whoever invented the wheel.. And furthermore, it wouldn't take much to create the wheel yourself either. The rest of the car, the engine, the ignition timers, I wont list everything.. are all nothing to do with the wheel. The wheel just accomanies all these other masters of invention's ideas and implementations, to produce a final product.

And yes, you could argue that software vs hardware, the same goes for apple products.. But I only ever spoke of software when talking about how RD is essentially behind most technology.. Everything inside apple products (software-wise) are totally dependent on and built upon RDs work..

Bringing the wheel into it is nothing like the same thing, because an internal combustion engine (that of a car) works on its own for other purposes. An empty piece of hardware (ie - an ipod) with no Unix, serves no purpose what so ever.

No it doesn't though :P The entire OS of mac products are based on RD's work. Only the wheels are based on whoever invented the wheel.. And furthermore, it wouldn't take much to create the wheel yourself either.

No, not all the mac products are based on RD's work. Only the OS, which is useful, but without the applications Apple mostly itself wrote or hardware it's useless. And the same holds for the wheels of a car. Without wheels a car is useless, but without any additional thing (chassis at least, perhaps a combustion engine or a horse) a wheel is useless too.

The rest of the car, the engine, the ignition timers, I wont list everything.. are all nothing to do with the wheel. The wheel just accomanies all these other masters of invention's ideas and implementations, to produce a final product.
Same for operation systems. It works together with all other parts.

And yes, you could argue that software vs hardware, the same goes for apple products.. But I only ever spoke of software when talking about how RD is essentially behind most technology.. Everything inside apple products (software-wise) are totally dependent on and built upon RDs work..

True, it depends on it as much as a car depends on its wheels. You could hack around it to get it working, but generally speaking you need those.

Bringing the wheel into it is nothing like the same thing, because an internal combustion engine (that of a car) works on its own for other purposes. An empty piece of hardware (ie - an ipod) with no Unix, serves no purpose what so ever.

An empty OS without hardware or accompanying software it's uselss too.

Anyway, that was enough nitpicking for today :P

• Like 1

Well, I'm not going to argue a toss over such things.. My point remains, anyone who thinks steve jobs deserved more recognition than Dennis Ritchie is a retard. :P

• Like 1

Well, I'm not going to argue a toss over such things.. My point remains, anyone who thinks steve jobs deserved more recognition than Dennis Ritchie is a retard. :P

exactly my conclusion in my term paper (no I didn't put retard in it, just that those people have to think again XD) about it , needed a subject within informatics and this was more intresting/ useful to write about then new technologies which would result in an enumeration of technical terms...

Next week I have to do a presentation about it and there are a couple of apples fanboys in my group (will have to wear my flamesuit I guess)

btw. I found an article in one of belgiums bigger newspapers about him...

Well they couldn't resist to mention Steve Jobs like a million times in it but at least they payed some attention to it.

• Like 1

exactly my conclusion in my term paper (no I didn't put retard in it, just that those people have to think again XD) about it , needed a subject within informatics and this was more intresting/ useful to write about then new technologies which would result in an enumeration of technical terms...

Next week I have to do a presentation about it and there are a couple of apples fanboys in my group (will have to wear my flamsuit I guess)

Good luck bro! Take a camera and get a shot of their faces at the end :DDDDDDDDDDD

I'd be pissed if my iPhone just had a unix command prompt. LOL

LOL i'll bet :P But the fact remains, making a GUI to run on an existing framework is piss easy compared to creating the framework itsself :P

I find creating my own PHP functions easy as pie, and very very useful indeed.. but do I think these functions and front-end interfaces of them are more impressive than php itsself? Erm.. No xD

With that I can agree. Although I must say, most of those retards are Apple fanboys or don't know anything about computers (which actually, most of the time, include Apple fanboys :P)