Never mind Steve Jobs, what about the true genius?

Chuckun

Ok, for all of you who think Steve Jobs is the greatest thing since cheese, and think his death was such a tragedy in the technology world, please continue to read this.

Yes, Steve Jobs was part of what brought us some lovely things such as the iPhone, iPad, iMac, etc etc etc..

But what frameworks were all of these things built on? And who created them?

The answer - in a name - is Dennis Ritchie.

Dennis Ritchie was found dead on the 12th October 2011, 7 days after Steve Jobs died.

Dennis Ritchie was the man behind C, C+, Unix, and therefore everything 'technology' related that we know of in this day and age.

Without Dennis Ritchie, Steve Jobs would have been a shower curtain ring salesman. Without Dennis Ritchie, Steve Jobs wouldn't even have a starting point for Apple. Without Dennis Ritchie, you can kiss goodbye to Wolfenstein, COD, BF, Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Playstation, Nintendo, XBOX, iPhones, normal phones, pretty much everything technology related that you hold so dear.

And yet HOW MANY threads have I seen on this guys death? NONE. Not one single mention of him ANYWHERE. Because of course, an Apple founder is far more important.

Without Dennis Ritchie, Apple wouldn't exist, and Steve Jobs' death wouldn't have reached more than his local newspaper's obituaries.

So please, have a read of what this great guy did with his life, and how everything we enjoy in the computer industry, we basically have him to thank for: http://en.wikipedia..../Dennis_Ritchie

I think it's pretty disgraceful that this guy's departure never got any recognition because some flashy guy who used his work to create a company; died.

/rant

• Like 7

We got shinny little overpriced phones from Steve Jobs, don't forget that :P (which I don't own any)

I actually heard about Dennis Ritchie, other people brought this up when people were making God of Steve Jobs.

Live is unfair.

Ive had heard of him from one college subject of mine too. Great mind..generally overshadowed by end-products brought about by his genius mind. Tnx Chuck!

Ritchie is considered one of the most important people in recent computer science indeed. But since 99% of the people using computers don't develop, that isn't noticed. But yes, in my environment I've heard it a lot that Ritchie died, but also the complaint that Jobs got more attention. A well, we ain't all 13 year old girls which are happy with their iPhone and whoreship their salesman :P

Don't consider Jobs as a hero in computer science. He was a great inventor, but achieved nothing in computer science other than being a perfectionist about a good user interface. He was a great businessman, but the fact that that was in computer science doesn't make him a hero of computer science.

I actually heard about Dennis Ritchie, other people brought this up when people were making God of Steve Jobs.

"I never understand why they keep comparing Steve Jobs and God. I know he's great, but he ain't Steve Jobs."

Well known joke.

Developing such "small" things like C, C+ and Unix doesn't mean a thing to most of the people out there because they don't even know about those things. That way it's possible that simple creators are worshiped while those who really brought achievements into mankind simply are ignored or sneered at.

We got shinny little overpriced phones from Steve Jobs, don't forget that :P (which I don't own any)

Yes, that actually is all the people see. Jobs invented the iPod, the iPhone and the iPad. But knowing that Apple invented those products and Jobs actually was only CEO and a very good sales man doesn't mean a thing as he passed away and was made a god by those applemaniacs.

• Like 1

Good post.

I honestly dont see what people see in Steve Jobs. He didnt technologically innovate really. He isnt a technological god. Apple's latest updates were a copy of features already existing on Android phones. And, well, their fanbase is a bunch of rabbling morons who say things such as (A person actually said his to me a few days ago): "Android needs to be banned. I cant wait till apples lawyers get smart enough and sue Android. Everything android has done has copied Apple." -- My response was, in a gist, that Android was linux based, which is essentially free as long as you give them credit. And apples updates have been copies of android. Fanboys these days are just too brick-headed.

Above all, his company was started off of stealing another man's work. Didnt know thievery made you a tech-guru.

/end rant

How much attention a persons death gets has nothing to do with the achievements of said person but of its publicity. Steve Jobs was the "face" of a company that sold not only technical products but also an "image" and certain "feelings" attached to that and that made the story of his life and his death more appealing to the media.

Regarding Dennis Ritchie there were several posts on the frontpage of reddit when they found out he died (Which was the day I learned who he was and what he accomplished). http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/lbnzt/hello_world/

You can't really expect the mainstream media to cover the death of a person who never got into the mainstream.

• Like 1

I didn't know of his excistence, till this post :s

How could I not see the man behind the screens. It was kind of obvious someone else had to be there :'(.

thanks Chuck for showing this :)

• Like 1

But is it an iphone?

I've never heard of him either.

Yes. Apart from the physical aspect, the iPhone is fundamentally Dennis' produce.