'Important' unticked Windows Update

Chuckun

Firstly - I'll explain that when you get 'important updates' but they're unticked, it's because windows update determines them to not be relevent to your machine or installed software. For example, an important .NET fix will not be ticked if you have no .NET dependent applications and never installed the .NET framework.

But, the windows update icon will NOT go away and stop telling you to install new updates unless you:

a) install them anyway

or

B) opt to hide those updates.

So firstly, why the hell does windows keep nagging you about them, or even include them in the update list for you, if they are not relevant?

And secondly, I don't want to hide them because what happens if one day they ARE relevant to my software setup? I know I can go back and unhide them any time I want but I don't want to have to do that, I just want to be notified of updates that are relevent to me, not those that windows don't even select for installation by default..

Is there any way to do this or is this part of windows just fundamentally dysfunctional? Don't get me wrong, I understand that the automated detection of necessary updates could be wrong, and therefore microsoft will ultimately allow you to make the choice yourself anyway to cover themselves, but why can there not be an option to ignore those which are deemed as irrelevant to my machine?

And please note I'm not talking about 'recommended updates' I'm talking about the 'Important' ones..

• Like 1

• Administrators

Critical updates that include a security update are ticked, a non critical update are not. You will not have updates for software not installed on your computer. Everything in the update queue is relevant to your computer it is up to the user to decide if they want to install any or all of the updates.

• Like 1

Oh.. Either I misunderstood or found invalid information then.. I was told (I THOUGHT it was from microsoft knowledgebase but i might be wrong in hindsight) that the unticked ones were unticked because they might not be relevent to your setup..

Good to know, thanks Joe!