mac or pc?

Ace_Light

I'd take a $500 i5 PC over the equivalent $1500 macbook. I just don't get it. My sister is not someone that I would consider up to date with PC technology. Guess what, she only uses macs along with her designer trendy stuff. I don't see why anyone would want to limit themselves on available software and hardware by using an MAC OS. And you can install a MAC OS on a windows PC so what is worth extra $$$?

• Like 1

It's Mac - short for Macintosh, not MAC - short for Media Access Control.

I'd honestly like to know who of the guys here has been using a Mac for more than four weeks on a daily basis.

used my first mac a week ago :D

Hah zai and bullet replied yay my two fav ppl

ouch....what am i chopped liver

also i like.dislike both. kinda sucks for gamers with macs, but pc kinda sucks cause it wont run some games lol.

http://forums.macrum...d.php?t=1025910

Seems the "Mac" OS cannot even run a good mouse like a g500 without work arounds. :noob

Interestingly I'm using a G500 with "Mac" OS for years and it works just fine and without any problems. But I'm sure a forum post knows it better than me.

Just wondering, is your knowledge about "Macs" solely based on posts you read on internet forums? Or have you already limited yourself on available software and hardware?

• Like 1

yea i dont have a problem with either OS ive used both i just wanted to see what other people think, i dont have anything against either os but windows seems to get more viruses, is there any reason why that would be? i have used both for the same things, and i got 3 viruses using windows, but none using mac..any answers?

Interestingly I'm using a G500 with "Mac" OS for years and it works just fine and without any problems. But I'm sure a forum post knows it better than me.

Just wondering, is your knowledge about "Macs" solely based on posts you read on internet forums? Or have you already limited yourself on available software and hardware?

It's just not for me. I enjoy choosing every part when building a PC. I enjoy building them and making them look cool. I enjoy overclocking my PC to speeds unachievable with stock parts. I enjoy lifetime warranties from brands like EVGA and Corsair. I guess I don't get it. To me, they are marketed to people that like shiny things or professionals that need to use certain Mac software. I just can't rationalize ever purchasing one.

I can build a PC that would smoke the fastest Mac. Hell I bet my PC running at 4.5ghz would and its 2 years old.

Mac+vs+PC.jpg

• Like 1

It's just not for me. I enjoy choosing every part when building a PC. I enjoy building them and making them look cool. I enjoy overclocking my PC to speeds unachievable with stock parts. I enjoy lifetime warranties from brands like EVGA and Corsair. I guess I don't get it. To me, they are marketed to people that like shiny things or professionals that need to use certain Mac software. I just can't rationalize ever purchasing one.

I can build a PC that would smoke the fastest Mac. Hell I bet my PC running at 4.5ghz would and its 2 years old.

I guess I like shiny things then. Who doesn't.

There are several reason to develop an operating system for specific components only, none of them include overclocking I'm afraid. I rather prefer quality over a cheap price and alleged lifetime warranties. And I'm willing to pay more for good products.

OS X combines linux with a rich GUI. You don't have to see an advantage in that, I do. I have yet to find a program I need which doesn't run on my system. If I would find one, I would simply run it in a virtual machine. Of course a 4.5GHz machine would definitely outdo a Mac, even the most expensive and expandable state-of-the-art Apple server systems.

I just don't like people judging about things they've never used and form an opinion based on wrong facts they've read on the internet.

keep thinking about this ^^

linux-vs-windows-vs-mac.jpg

anyway: I can't judge about mac (and os X) : almost never used it, somebody an idea how I can test a os X without having to buy a mac (bit expensive to just test)

linux distro's: I just download and run in virtual machine's, can you do the same with os X ?

probably not because of:

- closed sources

- hardware specific if I'm not wrong

well, will check it out in local apple store then ^^

btw: total agree with TulsaGeoff: I love chosing my own parts and tweak my pc...

Edited by DrJoske

used my first mac a week ago :D

ouch....what am i chopped liver

also i like.dislike both. kinda sucks for gamers with macs, but pc kinda sucks cause it wont run some games lol.

since when is speed chopped liver?

I like pink speedo more.

I'm not a computer nerd but I go on my mac for 3 things. Basketball scores, Chat, and COD. And mac runs pretty fast. So mac has it's advantages and like Kruaer said, None of you probably used a mac before.

yea i dont have a problem with either OS ive used both i just wanted to see what other people think, i dont have anything against either os but windows seems to get more viruses, is there any reason why that would be? i have used both for the same things, and i got 3 viruses using windows, but none using mac..any answers?

My understanding is Microsoft has generally always had a large marketshare and strived for backwards compatability through generations of operating systems. It's possible that a virus designed for Windows 98 could infect and thrive on Windows 7.

Apple has generally ditched older generations of technology once they figure it's life cycle has ended. It's quite likely then a virus written for OS X 9 or OS X 10.4 wouldn't work on OS X 10.7. Also OS X is build around the more robust UNIX operating system (like Linux). Plus why take the time to code a virus for 12% of a computer market when you can target 75%?

It's just not for me. I enjoy choosing every part when building a PC. I enjoy building them and making them look cool. I enjoy overclocking my PC to speeds unachievable with stock parts. I enjoy lifetime warranties from brands like EVGA and Corsair. I guess I don't get it. To me, they are marketed to people that like shiny things or professionals that need to use certain Mac software. I just can't rationalize ever purchasing one. I can build a PC that would smoke the fastest Mac. Hell I bet my PC running at 4.5ghz would and its 2 years old.

This is just a nerded up Chevy vs Ford argument. Guys like you are not their target market. Their targeting people who want something thats easy, intuative and reliable. I doubt your sister thinks that milling out a water block for a CPU is the bees-knees (wish more girls did though *sigh*). More than likely she just wants something that she can turn on, update her iCal from her iphone, backup her emails/music/photos, surf the web, shoot some emails out and be done with it. The form factor just makes it more appealing to the eye. Plus if you'd ever had to deal with Apple's customer service, they are %1000 better than any PC manufactuer I've delt with (HP, Dell come to mind). Apple isn't just selling a computer, they sell an entire platform that is designed (key word here) to work seemlessly (though it certainly doesn't all the time).

Most people that use Apples don't want to screw around with the registry. They just want something that has a quick learning curve and just works for their needs. Sure building a PC is fun and self rewarding, but screwing around with Windows because some website was hosting ad's that contained malicious code and now you have to reformatisn't my idea of a fun afternoon. I can honestly say from the time I bought my Macbook Pro in 2007 til now I've had zero problems with it. I realize its not the case for everyone, but it's the best 2g's I've spent in awhile.

There are ways to run OSX on a PC, but it's not legal unless you own a OSX license. It could get you in trouble and from what I read a long time ago, hardware support is hit or miss.

Translation-It's more difficult to steal the OS due to hardware incompatability. It's easy to install Windows on a Macbook though. ;)

• Like 1