Alien is real or fantasy?

DirtyShadow

Alien is a hollywood word, for outsiders... In fact it means... a other life we can't contact... so for use it's still fantasy.

Dirty.

• Like 1

Personally, I don't think we will encouter aliens that are anything like what we imagine. Organic, highly doubtful. I prescribe to the theory of emergence, which pretty much states that anything can be intellegent (and yes, that means anything).

This of course has many issues, the first being: How do we ever find life like this (answer, who knows.. haha), second: how do you communicate with it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Clan Friend

I kind of doubt there is an "edge of the universe" somewhere haha

Well, if I walk around the Earth I will find no edge either, but I will get back where I started, because Earth surface is not infinite ;)

Actually when he said 'infinite', I thought he meant there is an infinite number of stars/planets, and even in that case I don't know what it means, and if it's even possible for an infinite number of some objects to exist.

• 2 weeks later...

of course Aliens are real they been here for years since the start of mankind

I think most aliens are human or like human but advanced ( some bad & some good)

you seem pretty convinced, proof?

I kind of doubt there is an "edge of the universe" somewhere haha

There is, but it is moving away from us at the speed of light. So in other words, we will never see it or get to it

I genuinely think it is small-minded and ignorant to think we are alone in this Universe. In our own solar system, yes, we are the only intelligent life seemingly, but the Universe is far bigger than we could ever ever ever imagine.

Look at this

7124516455_e96136074b_b.jpg

That's a billion suns. Suns, not planets. There would be absolutely no way of telling how many planets would orbit each star, so we're looking at an impossibly large number and we've only discovered a tiny minuscule percentage of these and already scientists have identified planets and stars that could potentially support life.

So, yes. Of course there are aliens. It's pretty damned stupid to think there isn't.

But, have they made contact? I don't know.

[media=]

[/media]

I genuinely think it is small-minded and ignorant to think we are alone in this Universe. In our own solar system, yes, we are the only intelligent life seemingly, but the Universe is far bigger than we could ever ever ever imagine.

I think it is ignorant to say that there has to be aliens. (aliens as in other races that are like us, not some micro bacteria or w/e.). Just because of the vastness of space, does not mean there has to be another races. It is also ignorant to say that there isn't a God, you can not beyond a shadow of a doubt say that there isn't a God.

You can believe w/e you want, but to say it is ignorant of me to believe that there isn't anyone else is also ignorant.

• Like 1

I think it is ignorant to say that there has to be aliens. (aliens as in other races that are like us, not some micro bacteria or w/e.). Just because of the vastness of space, does not mean there has to be another races. It is also ignorant to say that there isn't a God, you can not beyond a shadow of a doubt say that there isn't a God.

You can believe w/e you want, but to say it is ignorant of me to believe that there isn't anyone else is also ignorant.

You must be an agnostic :P You can not call someone ignorant for not believing in the existence of something more ... Everyone has their beliefs and their views on things. In my case, for example, I'm pretty realistic and I rely on things that can be proven scientifically. For those things that have no explanation from science, causing me some respect, but I am not an ignorant if I do not believe in divine or supernatural something beyond our understanding.

• Clan Friend

The original question was 'Alien is real or fantasy?' which I guess should mean something like 'do you believe that Aliens exist?'

The word 'believe' is a bit vague for me, and I don't know what its meaning should be or if it matters at all, since what matters is reality not what people believe.

I think it's wrong to take for granted what is not 100% sure. Even 99.9999999999999999999% sure doesn't mean certain.

So if somebody says 'it's very probable that...' it's ok, but if they say 'x is true, and whoever says it's not is an idiot' without any proof of x being true, then it's not ok, or rather they can believe it but they cannot impose their belief on others.

Well, actually there are a lot of things we cannot prove, when ajnl says 'you can not beyond a shadow of a doubt say that there isn't a God', that's true, but it's also true that we cannot prove that there isn't somewhere a planet which is like ours, but where people have some ridiculous feature, or that unicorns don't exist, etc.

So what counts is also how likely something is, and how necessary it is to explain something we can't understand. We cannot prove that there isn't an invisible gnome behind our asses, but that doesn't mean anyone would believe it, just because you can't prove it's not true :)