China has nuclear weapons

ajnl

The article is here: http://news.yahoo.com/digging-china-nuclear-tunnels-013008319.html

Basically, I'm not surprised they have nuclear weapons. But its pretty interesting how a prof and some students figured it out. Talk about having homework.....

But anyways, any thoughts? Should be interesting to see what happens.

um, China has had nukes as long as I can remember and I'm 43....in other words, this isn't what I'd call breaking news...For a long time China's arsenal wasn't really large, nor did it have the greatest range or accuracy, however, in the last decade they have modernized their shit and have increased their budget quite a bit. China tended to have the trend on keeping their arsenal small to not pose a large threat (due to their large population and standing army size, a large arsenal would make countries a tad nervous and create pressure for a first strike doctrine against them).

um, China has had nukes as long as I can remember and I'm 43....in other words, this isn't what I'd call breaking news...For a long time China's arsenal wasn't really large, nor did it have the greatest range or accuracy, however, in the last decade they have modernized their shit and have increased their budget quite a bit. China tended to have the trend on keeping their arsenal small to not pose a large threat (due to their large population and standing army size, a large arsenal would make countries a tad nervous and create pressure for a first strike doctrine against them).

I quite don´t understand why should one need 1000 nukes with power to blow earth to pits? It only takes enormous amount of money to keep them in order.

Indeed china has always had nuclear weapons.. What I find funny is that whenever anyone other than the US is discovered to have nuclear weapons, the media jumps on it and makes out like they're sinister and evil (which nuclear weapons indeed ARE) - but why the hell should America be the only ones allowed? It should be NOONE is allowed them.

We (the UK) made the first nuclear weapons, America used the nuclear weapons, nobody else has. So we are the ones who started it.. We have no right to criticise other countries for having nuclear weapons unless we (western world) remove ours.

• Like 2

Indeed china has always had nuclear weapons.. What I find funny is that whenever anyone other than the US is discovered to have nuclear weapons, the media jumps on it and makes out like they're sinister and evil (which nuclear weapons indeed ARE) - but why the hell should America be the only ones allowed? It should be NOONE is allowed them.

We (the UK) made the first nuclear weapons, America used the nuclear weapons, nobody else has. So we are the ones who started it.. We have no right to criticise other countries for having nuclear weapons unless we (western world) remove ours.

Never said that I had the right to criticize other countries. I just thought it was an interesting article lol. Heck the Netherlands has nukes as well, ofc I'm pretty sure they are from the USA.

Anyways, I don't see why countries can't have nuclear weapons. But I do see a reason to keep some countries from having them. If your an unstable country, you shouldn't have the right to have nuclear weapons.

Never said that I had the right to criticize other countries. I just thought it was an interesting article lol. Heck the Netherlands has nukes as well, ofc I'm pretty sure they are from the USA.

Anyways, I don't see why countries can't have nuclear weapons. But I do see a reason to keep some countries from having them. If your an unstable country, you shouldn't have the right to have nuclear weapons.

It wasn't a personal attack :P It just annoys me that the media criticise the way the do, without justification. Stable or unstable, nobody should be allowed them. And right now, the US is so financially f*cked for several reasons, that they're showing determination to go to war as a desperate attempt to solve their issues.. How's that for unstable? Lol.. We plain have no right to handle nuclear weapons (by that I mean ANYONE - noone should have them), and definitely no right to criticise other countries for it whilst the US still has such a huge nuclear weapon bank.

It wasn't a personal attack :P It just annoys me that the media criticise the way the do, without justification. Stable or unstable, nobody should be allowed them. And right now, the US is so financially f*cked for several reasons, that they're showing determination to go to war as a desperate attempt to solve their issues.. How's that for unstable? Lol.. We plain have no right to handle nuclear weapons (by that I mean ANYONE - noone should have them), and definitely no right to criticise other countries for it whilst the US still has such a huge nuclear weapon bank.

Yea I definitely agree with you on the media part. The Media is ridiculous.

If you use that as a measure of instability, then every country in the world is unstable. Just saying that I'd rather have a country like the US owning nuclear weapons, compared a country run by some insane dictator.

Even if there were no nuclear weapons, there would still be weapons that do a lot of dmg. Personally my favorite is the "rods of god" (http://www.smartphowned.com/view/13657?fromTN).

Basically the idea of having orbiting, telephone pole sized rods of metal and when they are pushed thru the atmosphere they turn into a ball of plasma. Once they hit the ground its like a small nuclear bomb exploding (without the nuclear radiation ofc). Too bad you can't have weapons in space tho...

Yea I definitely agree with you on the media part. The Media is ridiculous.

If you use that as a measure of instability, then every country in the world is unstable. Just saying that I'd rather have a country like the US owning nuclear weapons, compared a country run by some insane dictator.

Even if there were no nuclear weapons, there would still be weapons that do a lot of dmg. Personally my favorite is the "rods of god" (http://www.smartphow...ew/13657?fromTN).

Basically the idea of having orbiting, telephone pole sized rods of metal and when they are pushed thru the atmosphere they turn into a ball of plasma. Once they hit the ground its like a small nuclear bomb exploding (without the nuclear radiation ofc). Too bad you can't have weapons in space tho...

I think most rulers are equally insane in this day and age and most of those previous too.. I think it takes a certain character to want to be in control of a country.. I know some want to do good things, but with that comes tremendously dangerous and regretable responsibility and potential bloody hands.. None of them can be trusted when the going gets tough.. Good old Nobel Peace Prize Obama will be a good guy right? Hah.. That went well..

And I know other weapons are bad too in terms of impact damage, but nuclear has worse after affects than immediate, and Hiroshima was a 1mt bomb.. We're now making closer to 100mt (if not more? I don't keep up with these things). Nuclear weapons are disgusting and we ALL need to stop developing them. We should go back to more 'civilised' warfare if we do indeed have to engage in war.

I think most rulers are equally insane in this day and age and most of those previous too.. I think it takes a certain character to want to be in control of a country.. I know some want to do good things, but with that comes tremendously dangerous and regretable responsibility and potential bloody hands.. None of them can be trusted when the going gets tough.. Good old Nobel Peace Prize Obama will be a good guy right? Hah.. That went well..

And I know other weapons are bad too in terms of impact damage, but nuclear has worse after affects than immediate, and Hiroshima was a 1mt bomb.. We're now making closer to 100mt (if not more? I don't keep up with these things). Nuclear weapons are disgusting and we ALL need to stop developing them. We should go back to more 'civilised' warfare if we do indeed have to engage in war.

This is the biggest problem with taking out nuclear weapons all together. And its the same problem with making guns illegal completely.

Lets say that all the countries decide on not having nuclear weapons, great but how do you know that the wrong ppl might not get them? People who want nuclear weapons for w/e reason will still get them. There will always be a black market, there will always be evil people in the world. You protect yourself from nuclear weapons, by having nuclear weapons. As long as every has them, not one will use them against each other. For example, Russia would never directly attack the US, they would nuke US allies.

Its the same with making guns completely illegal. People who want to rob a bank or kill others, will find a way to get a gun. All you do by making guns illegal is leaving the good citizens un-protected.

This is the biggest problem with taking out nuclear weapons all together. And its the same problem with making guns illegal completely.

Lets say that all the countries decide on not having nuclear weapons, great but how do you know that the wrong ppl might not get them? People who want nuclear weapons for w/e reason will still get them. There will always be a black market, there will always be evil people in the world. You protect yourself from nuclear weapons, by having nuclear weapons. As long as every has them, not one will use them against each other. For example, Russia would never directly attack the US, they would nuke US allies.

Its the same with making guns completely illegal. People who want to rob a bank or kill others, will find a way to get a gun. All you do by making guns illegal is leaving the good citizens un-protected.

Indeed, but then you could also say that other countries only have nuclear weapons because America has them and has shown they're not afraid to use them against those who don't have them lol.. ^_^

Indeed, but then you could also say that other countries only have nuclear weapons because America has them and has shown they're not afraid to use them against those who don't have them lol.. ^_^

True, but do you honestly believe that if the USA didn't have nukes, that other countries would give their's up?

Also, the USA has only dropped 2 nukes on a country. And it ended the war. Honestly us Europeans can only thank the USA for being there to help us out. If it wasn't for the USA (our big brother) to project us from bullies, we'd be screwed. Our military and defenses are laughable at best. By we I mean Europe as a whole.

Meh all in all, we're a pretty screwed up world. Not saying.. just saying ;).

Edited by ajnl

True, but do you honestly believe that if the USA didn't have nukes, that other countries would give their's up?

Also, the USA has only dropped 2 nukes on a country. And it ended the war. Honestly us Europeans can only thank the USA for being there to help us out. If it wasn't for the USA (our big brother) to project us from bullies, we'd be screwed. Our military and defenses are laughable at best. By we I mean Europe as a whole.

No I know it's incredibly unlikely.. I was simply using your ideas in a reversed 'boot on the other foot' way.. My ideals will never happen, I know this.. But that's what NEEDS to happen if we are ever to be safe. Or perhaps we should all nuke eachother at once and let the planet recover over thousands of years without us and then the world will be a better place :P

• Like 1

No I know it's incredibly unlikely.. I was simply using your ideas in a reversed 'boot on the other foot' way.. My ideals will never happen, I know this.. But that's what NEEDS to happen if we are ever to be safe. Or perhaps we should all nuke eachother at once and let the planet recover over thousands of years without us and then the world will be a better place :P

hahaha I like that idea.

I completely agree. Ideally having no need for a military or cops or w/e would be best. But its just not gonna happen :).

I think i'm done ranting and raving ;) hahahaha.

Edited by ajnl