Persistant harddrive failure (can't read past early blocks of disc)

Chuckun

Ok guys, every now and again, I sleep my laptop, return to it later, and after 20-30 seconds, BSOD (says *something* KERNEL_PAGE_ERROR or similar) and the memory dump fails.

System restarts then but doesn't get past the initial loading screen, and simply returns a 'Cannot Load Files - HDD Read Error.' (or similar).

My system diagnostics disk shows a read error - can only read blocks 0 - 60000 (roughly).

Diagnostics on the mobo, cables, ports, processor, fans, thermistors, etc etc etc all show up clean and pass all tests. But no matter how many hard drives I throw at this machine, they all fail. And they're failing quicker and quicker every time - this last one lasted less than 24 hours.

Any ideas what it could be?

Chuck

Edited by Chuckun
Updates..

I did wonder that but the motherboard got replaced after the last harddrive failure yet it still happens.. Cheapy shit dell stuff I guess.. Never had problems before this machine..

Motherboard issue, that HD part of it is broken. Test those hd's on other pc... they should work ok there. You can also test those 2,5" drives on desktop pc with adaptor http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108. I bit doupt on power issue but it's possible. Have u looked model number and done search if others have had same probs?

Masa_1964

The hard drives don't work on other computers either, they get f*cked, and each time, the disc cannot be read past a certain block (usually between block 6000 and 80000) and diagnostics show critical broken & pending sector counts etc..

It also seems like my memory has been screwed this time too.. 3GB was always enough for me.. And there's still 3GB there, but the performance is disgusting.. Even scrolling, typing, minimising, simple tasks make programs not go into 'not responding' state for a few seconds (5-20 seconds).

Warranty just ended on friday :P lol.. But I've put in for a quote to extend my warranty.. Will see what they say.. If it's a fair price, I'll renew it & be merciless with repair demands, if not, I'll get by until I can afford to never purchase from dell again ^_^

Ok guys, every now and again, I sleep my laptop, return to it later, and after 20-30 seconds, BSOD (says *something* KERNEL_PAGE_ERROR or similar) and the memory dump fails.

System restarts then but doesn't get past the initial loading screen, and simply returns a 'Cannot Load Files - HDD Read Error.' (or similar).

My system diagnostics disk shows a read error - can only read blocks 0 - 60000 (roughly).

Diagnostics on the mobo, cables, ports, processor, fans, thermistors, etc etc etc all show up clean and pass all tests. But no matter how many hard drives I throw at this machine, they all fail. And they're failing quicker and quicker every time - this last one lasted less than 24 hours.

Any ideas what it could be?

Chuck

It could be time to see what happens when you climb on top of your roof, hurl it as far as you can, drive over it and return it with a reciept and say it was like that when I got it.

• Like 1

Have you upgraded the memory from the original. Its possibly memory problems. After the error were there numbers that you remember?

If its under warranty just have it replaced I had a Dell laptop like that replaced all parts and issue was still there.

I won't go into reasons why I don't like Dell.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Since the issue is still there and you contacted them prior to the warranty expiring I don't see why you would need to extend it, tell them that the problem is still there and to either fix it, give you a new system or you will file a complaint with whomever handles customer issues with UK and then they will be forced to do it for you.

• Like 1

@Wizbang - nope, original memory, but Dell are so f***ing lousy they gave me 1x Samsung 2GB & 1x Kingston (if I remember rightly) 1GB.. So effectively I probably have the equivalent of 2.1GB lol.. Kingston sucks.

@JoeDirt - I might try that.. Will still extend if it's cheap enough because I've had nothing but problems with this machine..