packet loss to jay3, and slow fa website

SunLight

• Clan Friend

Hi,

I was wondering if someone else is having packet loss these days... I cannot play in jay3 at all, red bars in my lagometer all the time... even fa website feels slow since last weekend.

The game just stops at the loading screen, because of this packet loss I can't even connect sometimes, let alone playing normally. Other servers are ok (jay4, for example, at least yesterday it was).

This afternoon I wanted to play a bit on jay3: no luck. I said ok, let's play some tzac instead... couldn't even login to tzac, wtf.

I did a test and I saw that this node (hos-bb2.juniper2.fs.hetzner.de) has a huge packet loss (and sometimes even jay3 ip), so I was wondering if someone else has this problem or not, since I can't fix it (ping to my isp and all the nodes before that one are ok, no lag, no packet loss whatsoever, so it's not my problem)

Nevermind... I will play somewhere else for a bit :(

• Administrators

Post the winMTR report so i can ask them to fix it. If I don't have report, I can't ask them to fix it.Run it for 100 packets.

Might want to try Jay4 in the mean time. I am about to dump Tzac ETpro and convert it to regular non PB ETpro.

Thanks!

• Clan Friend

At the moment I can play without red bars in my lagometer. If the problem happens again I will post mtr log. It lasted for 3 days, maybe they have fixed it.

A packet loss in a node, but not in the following one could be caused by the fact that they limit icmp traffic, right?

• Administrators

Could be or sometimes they have DDoS on one node causing issues. So until they clear up the mess, there can be packet loss too. I am not sure to be honest.

• Clan Friend

one thing I can't understand is this (I did it with the original mtr for Linux not winmtr, but I guess it's the same), I type:

$ mtr --no-dns somehost (to see ip addresses instead of names)

I copy the ip of a node with packet loss, and in another terminal I do:

$ ping that.ip.address

they run at the same time, but mtr says loss, ping says ok... I wonder what is the difference, I should check what kind of packets are really sent by mtr because it's obviously different than ping

• Clan Friend

I found out the difference using tcpdump...

mtr sends an ICMP echo request with increasing TTL to the last ip, then it receives ICMP time exceeded in-transit when ttl reaches 0 by the n-th node.

Instead ping sends an echo request with a high TTL and receives ICMP echo reply, maybe that node didn't send that time exceeded message so mtr reports a packet loss, and ping doesn't.

thanks to all who replied