22-year-old German wins poker World Series

DJ aka GDR DJ

Pius Heinz, a 22-year-old from Cologne, won the 2011 World Series of Poker on Wednesday, becoming the first German to win the prestigious title and raking in more than $8 million in prize money, organizers said.

Heinz had to battle his way through an initial field of 6,865 players from 85 countries in the $10,000 Buy-In No-Limit Texas Hold 'Em scrum, held over 12 days in the US gambling mecca of Las Vegas last summer.

Heinz arrived at the finale ranked seventh out of the final nine players but gradually edged out the others, including 2011 "Player of the Year" Ben Lamb, an American who "busted out in shocking fashion" Tuesday night, WSOP said.

Heinz then battled top-ranked Czech player Martin Staszko to a final hand in which the German won with an ace-king, walking away with more than $8.7 million, followed by Staszko with $5.4 million and Lamb with $4.0 million.

Players from Belize, Britain, the Czech Republic, Germany and Ukraine outnumbered Americans making the cut last July to compete in this week's finale, reflecting the growing global popularity of the game.

Last year's champion Jonathan Duhamel hailed from Montreal, Peter Eastgate of Denmark won in 2009 and Australian Joe Hachem triumphed in 2005.

Source

DJ

Pius Heinz, a 22-year-old from Cologne, won the 2011 World Series of Poker on Wednesday, becoming the first German to win the prestigious title and raking in more than $8 million in prize money, organizers said.

Heinz had to battle his way through an initial field of 6,865 players from 85 countries in the $10,000 Buy-In No-Limit Texas Hold 'Em scrum, held over 12 days in the US gambling mecca of Las Vegas last summer.

Heinz arrived at the finale ranked seventh out of the final nine players but gradually edged out the others, including 2011 "Player of the Year" Ben Lamb, an American who "busted out in shocking fashion" Tuesday night, WSOP said.

Heinz then battled top-ranked Czech player Martin Staszko to a final hand in which the German won with an ace-king, walking away with more than $8.7 million, followed by Staszko with $5.4 million and Lamb with $4.0 million.

Players from Belize, Britain, the Czech Republic, Germany and Ukraine outnumbered Americans making the cut last July to compete in this week's finale, reflecting the growing global popularity of the game.

Last year's champion Jonathan Duhamel hailed from Montreal, Peter Eastgate of Denmark won in 2009 and Australian Joe Hachem triumphed in 2005.

Source

DJ

Join me in Facebook Poker , IF you there :)

Thanks,

Have fun !!

Well when you think about it, 8 million for the winner of a game of poker.. I'd take that anyday over 5/6 years of playing football or some other sport where you'd earn the same amount :P Congrats to him!

Or just be derrek jeter and get paid 42 million a year for just your baseball contract.

Whats even crazier are the amounts that pro athletes are paid.

Yea and look at solders the army Special Forces they get paid what 27k a year or even 21k in uk that bullshit we risk our life's for civils and protect the country and what we get in return nothing. We die at war solders should get paid the most out of everyone in my opinion :D

Or just be derrek jeter and get paid 42 million a year for just your baseball contract.

Never heard of him so can't relate, but 42 million a year? You must be joking me! I'd pay Lionel Messi that kind of money a year, not him :P

EDIT: After googling his name, turns out he's pretty damn good!

Edited by Panini*Hobbit@mp3

Join me in Facebook Poker , IF you there :)

Thanks,

Have fun !!

I'll take you up on that.

Texas Hold Em' - Correct?

One on one staked or table?

http://www.facebook.com/AmberWinchell

I'm on Sat - Sun evenings. Could always use a few extra chips, lol

You can also just send a request and ever on at same time I'll take you on as I can reach the app on my phone though FB. I love that app as the past year and a half I've been unable to go down to the boats so next best thing. Do you play on any sites by the way?

Edited by Amber L. Winchell
  • Like 1

Far as other comments about poker let's not forget the extreme risk that is taken by betting. It's not like a sport where you get paid for playing while poker can have serious finance consequences if a lost is occurred. If you lose a season of football your team's salary might take a hit and let's say if you are the worst player and even fired at-least you still had guaranteed income while you where playing the sport unlike poker where you can and are likely to lose due to the odds and unpredictable elements.

Therefor in my opinion I think poker players should be more respected then your best football or basket ball players, etc.

I've played locally down at the boats and usually 10/100 buy in's. Won quite a few and lost my share but in the ends always breaks even which is what you want if just playing for fun. I could not even image the stress the professionals have going into these serious tournaments. For people who play professionally as a career their nerves have to be always on edge and they must be more stable emotionally then general sports players that you all compare to above. I'd say playing poker as a career is incredibly more dangerous health wise then any major branded sport like football would be considering the emotional toll on the body and it's negative effects.

I'm sure the user 'warning' above would agree.

Edited by Amber L. Winchell
  • Like 1