computer programmers?

sublime

I agree with Rofl on declaring and not being lazy. I've been coding in several languages for quite a while. I did start in BASIC way back when, and I never used it again. I can't even say it really helped me progress.

The biggest thing about each language is learning their required syntax and structure. As others have mentioned, some are very rigid and others are very loose. I would probably tell you, if you have no experience at all, to start with something like HTML that you can get rolling in quickly. This gives you a structure that is required (mostly), there are tons of resources available for it, and you get immediate satisfaction (i.e. what you code can be viewed right away). Then I would move to Javascript (not Java). This is more structured and more powerful that standard HTML, still easy to learn, again has a ton of resources available, and that quick satisfaction. Plus, its syntax is more similar (but not exact) to other languages like Java, C# etc.

I beg to differ Rolf though, as I believe Java or C# are not the easiest to start in, and can be confusing to a beginner, or downright daunting.

One other thing I would suggest to learn from the start would be to be strict in your code formatting. Some of the coders I have worked with find the easiest way to do something, even if its not the best way to do it, and just throw the code together to get it done. Then, anyone who comes behind them (or even they themselves) have to try and figure out what the hell they were thinking when they wrote it! The guru I learned from calls himself a "Development Artist", and if you saw his code you would see why. It's well structured and elegant, a beautiful sight to behold, I'll tell you what. (OK, I know I'm a geek to get excited over code - lol)

Good luck!

Yeah.. avoid anything that has to do with basic.. my opinion, jump into the fire and start with C++. It will teach you the fundamentals of pretty much everything. With a lot of other languages, like Java / C#, most of the underlying code is taken care of for you.

If you are planning on getting into games, c++ is also the way you want to go.

Now, if you just plan on being a casual developer, I am partial to C#. You can also develop games with it, like someone else has said.

And, Spyderwebber has it correct... work hard on form, and the biggest lesson I can give you is this:

COMMENT EVERYTHING

Edited by uncasid
  • Like 1

Check the dates before replying fellas, thread was dead for months then revived, then it died again for another 4 months and now you've revived it :P

The person who posted it hasn't logged in for almost a year anyway

You're welcome to create a new topic with tips for up and coming coders if you want

• 2 months later...

@PROWND You realise this is a 3 old months topic?

Ya its an old topic -- so if you arent suppose to reply to an old topic or have a discussion about its contents, then erase it--otherwise dont come on here to tell me that.

Dont be an Ass -- If you arent suppose to reply to an old topic then we need to lock old topics - otherwise I will be replying to various threads since im new here-a few weeks singed up

• Like 1

There you go:

Check the dates before replying fellas, thread was dead for months then revived, then it died again for another 4 months and now you've revived it :P

The person who posted it hasn't logged in for almost a year anyway

You're welcome to create a new topic with tips for up and coming coders if you want

Dont be an Ass -- If you arent suppose to reply to an old topic then we need to lock old topics - otherwise I will be replying to various threads since im new here-a few weeks singed up

And next time try to watch your mouth.

Ya its an old topic -- so if you arent suppose to reply to an old topic or have a discussion about its contents, then erase it--otherwise dont come on here to tell me that.

Don't disrespect our admins again or you will find your welcome expedited out of here.

• Like 1

I take it you are new to community forums as a whole?

It is pretty much an unwritten rule on any forum you go to that you should not "revive" topics that are old. Feel free to create a new topic to discuss whatever you want.

Don't disrespect our admins again or you will find your welcome expedited out of here.

I was the one who was disrespected, for simply being interested in a topic and posting comments in threads that relate to the subject and my interests -- please lock all threads that are old if you wanna enforce not posting in old threads.

IM sorry you guys/admins are so easily offended -- how bout lighten up and welcome any contributions here.

Old info is new info to those who havent read it -- other wise lock or erase all threads that are old -- and what is the cutoff date you talk of - 1 day reply, 1 month.....LOL

I was the one who was disrespected, for simply being interested in a topic and posting comments in threads that relate to the subject and my interests -- please lock all threads that are old if you wanna enforce not posting in old threads.

IM sorry you guys/admins are so easily offended -- how bout lighten up and welcome any contributions here.

Old info is new info to those who havent read it -- other wise lock or erase all threads that are old -- and what is the cutoff date you talk of - 1 day reply, 1 month.....LOL

Thank you for your advice, but we will run our clan forums how we see fit, not according to your guidelines. If you don't like it and don't want to abide by our rules or requests, don't post here. simple as that.

I don't want to be a **** about this but it is quite annoying to see so many people clearly saw that it was requested not to revive this thread and to start a new one. (many of those being regulars on the forums and members) and continuing to ignore requests from admins and moderators.

Now since apparently none of you want to read what has been requested for follow the rules of the forums I guess I'll hold your hands and help you do what was asked months ago.

//Split into a new thread which can be found here.

Edited by GI-JOE
  • Like 2