MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat) - Who's had them?

DisturbedOne

If you're a current or past member of the US Armed Forces, or have eaten MRE's before... what do you think about them?

For those who don't know, MREs are Meals Ready to Eat, basically the boxed "never expire" rations that the US feeds its troops on the field. They are high calorie, high carb meals meant to provide you with nutrients and energy for long days of hard work. However, they are very ow in fiber and it's impossible to go #2 with them haha!

I personally love most flavors, "Spaghetti" is the best in my opinion, however "Omelette" is pretty good too. I use quotes because I have no idea what these REALLY are made out of, because most MREs are thick and pasty, but I'm weird and like them all anyway!

Anybody else have opinions on these?

I love MREs...

I am an MRE chef in the field.. the stuff that they put in them is outstanding.. The variety and flavor is big pimpin'....

They used to have the old MRE's.. in the Green/Brown packages.. Those were the ones that we referred to as "Meals Rejected by Ethiopians".. Some of them were tolerable, and it was pretty much,.. whomever does the distributing of your chow from the box, it would be whomever eats the best!!!!

There are also "cold weather" MRE's.. They are high in calories and keep people warmer in the cold when you have more calories to burn....

MRE bombs... Take the heating element in the MRE, place it inside of a sealed plastic bottle, add a bunch of Tobasco sauce in there.. Add water and throw it in someones hooch.. They wont like the loud BOOM in accompany of the very nasty pungent odor of Tobasco as well.... Enjoy

I'll say this, when you need to eat they are perfect, but I wouldn't really choose to eat them over a meal at the chow hall. Great item to have when you are in the field or on a mission. Although when you usually have to eat a MRE you never get to use that heater in the package to warm your food so all the MRE I have eaten have been mostly cold lol.

MRE bombs... Take the heating element in the MRE, place it inside of a sealed plastic bottle, add a bunch of Tobasco sauce in there.. Add water and throw it in someones hooch.. They wont like the loud BOOM in accompany of the very nasty pungent odor of Tobasco as well.... Enjoy

I'm involved on the officer/commissioned side of things, so this kind of behavior isn't "allowed". However, my younger brother who is enlisted tells of stories where they make MRE bombs... he says it's totally worth getting smoked!

I'll say this, when you need to eat they are perfect, but I wouldn't really choose to eat them over a meal at the chow hall. Great item to have when you are in the field or on a mission. Although when you usually have to eat a MRE you never get to use that heater in the package to warm your food so all the MRE I have eaten have been mostly cold lol.

True that, I have never had a warm MRE... we're given mere minutes to eat them, and I take them apart and eat bits and pieces while "humping" as the Marines call it.

Edited by DisturbedOne

i have had many of them. i love the freeze dried strawberries. my roommate from yeas ago was in the US Army reserves and somehow he come into ownership of about 40 MREs. Those meals got us through some hard times when we spent all of our money on booze and weed. i am happy that i "grew" up but the MREs were great

I've never tasted an US MRE but I had to stay with the German EPAs for a long time during my service.

They've been pretty good except for the "Panzerkekse" (Tank Cookies), every dentist would propably advise you to eat tons of them so he can fix your teeth. :D

They sell MRE's at an outdoor survival store by my house, so I stock up for backpacking trips. I expected them to taste like poo, but I was suprised they are actually pretty good. Not home-cooked meal good, but I'd almost eat them over Mcdonalds. Spaghetti and the chicken ones are my favorite.

I expected them to taste like poo, but I was suprised they are actually pretty good.

I guess every sort of MRE/EPA - or whatever they might be called in different languages - have increased quality over the years.