American food vs. Middle Eastern food

CSL

As some of you may know I moved from New York to Israel about a year ago and I have many observations about the differences in the cuisine.

The 3 foods I miss most are:

Pastrami sandwiches- Oh how i miss old school New York Deli's :(

Skirt Steaks- The beef here is pretty bad compared to the beef in the US and those salty skirt steaks don't exist here.

Hot Dogs- Cant find a decent hot dog in the whole damn country.

Foods that kick Ass here:

Humus-The best in the world there are actually humus restaurants!

Shwarma/Gyro- Go to almost any city and find this delightful food grilling on a spit to perfection.

Fish- The best salmon and sole I've ever eaten I have had here so fresh!

Dairy and cheese products- No preservatives always fresh and delicious why my kids still crave wackymac I'll never know.

Foods from other places that I have tasted here that kick Ass:

A friend of mine commutes monthly to South Africa for work and he brings back 2 things that are the best I"ve ever had- One is a roast called a Scotch Fillet when grilled its the most tender mouth watering piece of meat I have ever tasted. the second is called Bolton its a type of beef jerky/cured meat also awesome.

Foods that I wont eat even on pain of death:

They got all types of animal livers-barf city.

Lamb brain- no comment

Goat meat. I think I'll pass.

I also miss the food network cant get it here :( used to watch it with the kids. Iron chef will have to carry on without me.

no thanks to eating dogs, cats, bunnies, dolphins n stuff

and nothx to eating balls, eyes, liver, stumach, heart and whatever else of any animal out there xD DISGUSTING omg!

^ Doesn't get how anyone can eat those things

Shwarma/Gyro- Go to almost any city and find this delightful food grilling on a spit to perfection.

Is that the meat that roasts vertically and guy just sort of "shaves" off thin slices of it and puts into a sort of large bun, then adds sauces/vegetables/addons you can pick?

Can't explain better, but that kind of thing goes under name gyros/kebab over here and it's usually sold at kiosks or small fast food locals. And it tastes damn good.

• Like 1

It is named kebab here in The Netherlands, awesome stuff indeed. Think it is Turkish btw. It's really good on a lahmacun, with additional sambal and garlic sauce. But I haven't had that much real Middle Eastern food yet

I personally prefer European-Mediterranean food, although generally almost every street food everywhere on earth is quite good, but not that healthy :P

no thanks to eating dogs, cats, bunnies, dolphins n stuff

and nothx to eating balls, eyes, liver, stumach, heart and whatever else of any animal out there xD DISGUSTING omg!

^ Doesn't get how anyone can eat those things

i eat whatever that move, less insects, cats, dogs or rats, i not even think one day eating insects that's nasty!

I tried brain once (I think it was pig brain, but not sure, long time ago, was just a kid)

and it wasnt bad at all, pretty good, soft and tender, but i didnt enjoy it because i hated the IDEA

of eating brain :D I should try it again

in my town there is a restaurant that sells middle eastern food. it's insanely popular and their food is amazing.

they have beef kifta, chicken shawarma, homemade fries (they are delish btw), chicken and beef kababs, schnitzel, and falafel. and of course, as much hummus as you could possibly want.

i eat there pretty often and my favorite is the chicken shawarma in a pita.

in my town there is a restaurant that sells middle eastern food. it's insanely popular and their food is amazing.

they have beef kifta, chicken shawarma, homemade fries (they are delish btw), chicken and beef kababs, schnitzel, and falafel. and of course, as much hummus as you could possibly want.

i eat there pretty often and my favorite is the chicken shawarma in a pita.

Sry kristy but schnitzel cant be middle eastern food, its from europe/Swiss.

Otherwise they have food with similar name i never heard of.

Sry kristy but schnitzel cant be middle eastern food, its from europe/Swiss.

Otherwise they have food with similar name i never heard of.

schnitzel.jpg

no, they have it.