2nd PC

Fargwire

This is a shot in the dark and I,m not sure if I posted in the right spot. But is it possible to install COD4 on a second pc with my log in and LvL's and game name so I can go on the servers from another location?:confused

As far as I know, you can. You'll just have to back up your player data, and restore on the "new" machine after installing the game. (Tutorial here: http://fearless-assassins.com/tutorials/article/110-how-to-savebackup-your-cod4-players-file-windows/)

Note: I think you may have to play a multiplayer game on the new install machine in order to create the players folder before you can restore your player data.

A few things to keep in mind though: You can't have both open at the same time or you'll have a licensing coflict, and if you play and advance in rank or get new weapons on one pc, it won't be saved to the other.

Hope this helps. Someone correct me if i'm wrong!

Edited by sicsiksix

As far as I know, you can. You'll just have to back up your player data, and restore on the "new" machine after installing the game. (Tutorial here: http://fearless-assa...s-file-windows/)

Note: I think you may have to play a multiplayer game on the new install machine in order to create the players folder before you can restore your player data.

A few things to keep in mind though: You can't have both open at the same time or you'll have a licensing coflict, and if you play and advance in rank or get new weapons on one pc, it won't be saved to the other.

Hope this helps. Someone correct me if i'm wrong!

It will be set up at my weekend spot in the summer so I will only be on one at a time. So I will have to back up the player data every time. I guess I could use a USB stick for that?

Yes, if you want to keep your player data up to date on both machines. A thumbdrive should work fine for this.

Again, I'm not 100% on all of this. I'm sure Daredevil or one of the more tech savvy people here could give you a more definitive answer. :)

If you're familiar with technology and not afraid of hacking around a little, you might want to try syncing your players folder via Dropbox or similar.

That sounds interesting, I do have a drop-box. How exactly would I do that?

You can't use Dropbox directly, the location of the files is different than you Dropbox folder (normally). Here are the locations you need: http://fearless-assassins.com/tutorials/article/110-how-to-savebackup-your-cod4-players-file-windows/

It might be possible to write a small script which basically does the following:

copy player-data from Dropbox to personal folder

start CoD (and play)

copy player-data back to Dropbox

Wouldn't be that hard in Linux, in Windows it should be possible too without too much effort. The main two problems are; the folder can become quite big and if the PC crashes, you'll have to manually recopy/modify it. Although you can write another script for that :P

However, the method of above can easily be modified such that you can use an USBstick for it.

Edited by Rolf

That sounds interesting, I do have a drop-box. How exactly would I do that?

You simply link the physical players folder symbolically to the one in your Dropbox. That's it basically. Lifehacker tells you how to create symbolic links just in case. Be aware that I've never tested if that really works for COD4, but I've done it with several other programs and it worked fine.

correct me if i am wrong, but

COD4 = Steam

you can install steam on diffrent pc´s. but you can log into it just with one.

I also think your GUID is unique and associated to your steam account. So you just have to install Steam and COD4 (from steam) to the other PC and anything else will come automaticly.

As i had build my new PC i (guess i) have done it that way.