How reliable is Hotmail as a e-mail service?

darkfang77

Hey all,

just wanted to discuss hotmail as a reliable email service.

Has anyone ever sent you an email which you haven't received?

Hotmail seemed as if they lost a really time sensitive email of mine last week and I just wondered if there was any chance I could follow it up and see who's fault it was.

Does anyone else get emails from a sender where the sole recipient is not your email address?

I'm really confused at this.. I'd appreciate any replies from a techie. :thanks

Edit: Should have been in tech/science, sorry. Please move if poss.

Edited by darkfang77

This is not tech and science talk. It's fine in Lounge.

It's pretty reliable for me.

Its my second email lost lol, seems too frequent to be a bad luck

never had problems,the sender could 've misstyped your hotmail adress

If only, email was really important, we had a small row over it with some bitter accusations that I was wasting time and resources. I really want to prove it wasn't my fault.

Sender C and P-ed the email and sent it to another email account of mine, could be faked, but the ball is in my court again.

Email address, etc was correct on it.

Is this worth contacting hotmail about? Wonder if their techies won't mind searching up email logs (if they exist) for my account

Edited by darkfang77

I have been using the same hotmail address for 12 years, was able to use it with outlook express for most of that time. \

Always check your junk folder \ if email address was wrong the sender will get a notice that it was

Spammers have hacked hotmail accounts lately \ change passwords like you would (ihope) your underwear ...often

I have been using the same hotmail address for 12 years, was able to use it with outlook express for most of that time. \

Always check your junk folder \ if email address was wrong the sender will get a notice that it was

Spammers have hacked hotmail accounts lately \ change passwords like you would (ihope) your underwear ...often

I'm aware of the hackers, but usually when your hotmail is hacked, everything is wiped, not just one message.

Go to the persons that sent you the email open their sent items and check.

That won't be possible, I only know the person who sent this email by name, so he won't be letting me rummage through his folders. My suspicion was that the copy and pasted original message was a cover-up because the person who was meant to send it forgot.

If not, I suspect that there was something wrong with his email account but refuses to admit responsibility (since the email was for a extremely important annual trip. Now that I've missed it, I will have to wait until next year)

Here's the details (apparently the sender saved a copy of the email)

Sent: 31 March 2011 20:21

To: darkfang77@hotmail.com

Subject: xxx

I don't know where to go on from here.

Realistically, I'm looking for a technical answer which can provide tangible evidence rather than simple investigation (since no-one's going to admit responsibility here).

Cheers

Edit: From the message, email address is correct...

It would have bounced back to recipient if it were wrong anyway.

Edited by darkfang77

• Administrators

I'm aware of the hackers, but usually when your hotmail is hacked, everything is wiped, not just one message.

That won't be possible, I only know the person who sent this email by name, so he won't be letting me rummage through his folders. My suspicion was that the copy and pasted original message was a cover-up because the person who was meant to send it forgot.

If not, I suspect that there was something wrong with his email account but refuses to admit responsibility (since the email was for a extremely important annual trip. Now that I've missed it, I will have to wait until next year)

Here's the details (apparently the sender saved a copy of the email)

Sent: 31 March 2011 20:21

To: darkfang77@hotmail.com

Subject: xxx

I don't know where to go on from here.

Realistically, I'm looking for a technical answer which can provide tangible evidence rather than simple investigation (since no-one's going to admit responsibility here).

Cheers

Edit: From the message, email address is correct...

It would have bounced back to recipient if it were wrong anyway.

Copy paste only proves that he is not tellin the truth. What you need is the mail header of that sent msg. But of course you would need to have access to his email, or ask him to forward the entire email to you and hopefully if you are lucky the program or service he uses will preserve the original header.

I've had a hotmail account since they started offering free ones haha. I have never had any issues with it. Just as good as any others.

@the teacher - Why don't you use outlook and set it up to grab all of your e-mails from hotmail. Then you don't have to use it.

I have had Hotmail for more than 10 yeasr and I AM SO SICK OF IT!! :mad

My wife has yahoo and if it weren't for the huge pain the ss that changing my account will be I will leave hotmail right now

:drama

Yahoo = spam and 'viral' heaven. Don't use Yahoo.

I've had issues with hotmail but not in this nature darkfang..

I agree with you, it's probably a cover up, and could only suggest what Joe suggested..

My advice to anyone would be gmail. Never had a single problem with it. Only problem i've had, is that due to their SEXY attachment size allowance, some people can't receive your emails if you attach like 25MB of info to the email :P - that, so far, is the ONLY problem i've had.. which tbh, is just because gmail allow larger uploads than others, so it's not their fault, it's everyone elses.

Copy paste only proves that he is not tellin the truth. What you need is the mail header of that sent msg. But of course you would need to have access to his email, or ask him to forward the entire email to you and hopefully if you are lucky the program or service he uses will preserve the original header.

*Puts on his Microsoft hat

This is the answer ^ (Joe's)

Hotmail doesn't "lose" emails that are sent to it. Either it wasn't addressed correctly, was treated as SPAM (unlikely), or it wasn't sent to you.

*Puts on his Microsoft hat

This is the answer ^ (Joe's)

Hotmail doesn't "lose" emails that are sent to it. Either it wasn't addressed correctly, was treated as SPAM (unlikely), or it wasn't sent to you.

Cheers Grim, sorry I haven't been online all, my internet was cut since I'm moving house, I will forward the supposed "email" information to hotmail's question/problems service (horrible to use on IE, since I keep getting looped all over the place, and the question got posted onto some sort of microsoft forum...

-Email addressed properly (check) details indicate they were correct.

-Spam folder scoured and thoroughly looked at (check) I receive very little spam, so any unread email in junk would be looked at straightaway.

-Was it sent? (uncheck) consulted hotmail team to get details. with a bit of luck, they might pity me and look at my question.

thanks all for responding though! :thanks