Space Shuttle Discovery Explodes in Flight!

thundercunt

I was living in mayport jacksonville in 1986. I remember meeting 2 of the crew, as they visited the naval base prior to challenger launch. We planted special tomato seeds for them to take up to space. We were given memorabilia, such as 3d cards of the crew members and the space ship. I remember the entire class standing outside waiting for the shuttle to lift off. At 6 years old, you just don't understand why people were crying and we are being led back indoors. Unfortunately, the only thing that survived the crash were the worms. BTW, this isn't the end of an era, but merely the beginning of a new one. NASA can go back to what it was ment to be, the front runner of space technology, exploration and discovery. No more being relegated to low earth orbit, and wasting their time as nothing more than expensive mechanics while running a shipping fleet to the rest of the world. I for one am glad that NASA has a new mission, one that will hopefully pave the way for future private enterprise...so that NASA can push the boundaries even further.

• 4 months later...

Did you know that there's this news that mentions about space shuttle? Well, in the news that I've heard they mentioned that after many delays due to weather, the Space Ship Atlantis launched Friday morning. It's going to be the final journey in the space shuttle program. It was an emotional moment for several connected with the program, and will open the door for a new chapter in NASA's exploration of space. In the past you had to reserve in advance to get to see it close (like a year in advance), but it is still possible to see the launch from a distance from public roads. Many people line up on a highway across the river from the launch and get a great view. The proof is here: Space Shuttle Atlantis lifts off on its final mission

It was actually one of the rings that malfunctioned that took down Challenger. I was home from school that day because of a snow day... I was like in 1 st grade... I watched the thing blow up live. At first I thought it was normal because the rockets separate etc. Plus Mission Control kept going with their status.. like everything was ok. I will never forget that day. Reagan was President. His words later on on national TV... "The slipped the surly bonds of earth" Very sad day in 1986.

Funny thing is that Rick Astley song was popular around the time of the Challenger explosion..