When was the last time you installed Windows?

daredevil

• Administrators

There was a time when my Windows installation used to corrupt every now and then, when I was in college. Let's share our last Windows installation date and its status.

I installed Windows 7 x86 on 24th June, 2010. Status: Running as it should. No viruses, no spam, no junk. Just clean.

What's yours?

Fresh installation of windows 7 (64) every maxi 3 months, never see a tiny slow or virus or anything.

All time the same steps in order:

2. format + install windows
  3. disable uac + enable and login to administartor account (delete first account)
  4. install antivirus + update (restart)
  5. Remove unwanted windows apps (restart)
  6. install drivers (restart)
  7. tweaking (Regedit)
  8. Run batch for silent install (apps)
  9. put back AppData files and library
  10. disable unused services or apps running at first (restart)

Voila 1h30m later my pc is ready for duty

SSD (128GB) for windows (all applications and games are damn fast loading)

SSD (128GB) for ubuntu

DD (1TB) for files backup

PS/ big mama you nub, for at least 4 hours last night on nuketown server, and you never show up asss <_<

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

System Type: x64-based PC

Original Install Date: 2/03/2011, 12:49:25 AM

Ive installed windows allot this month. I played around with a RAID 5 setup but then went back to a single drive. :geek: I wasn't that impressed. I want SSD's in RAID 5 :D

Main computer

Windows 7 x64 - 2010/02/28

Reason for reinstall: On 2010/03/01, my Windows 7 x86 RC1 would expire, requiring a reboot every 2 hours. Didn't want that, so only then I installed my Windows 7 Ultimate already bought in october 2009 :P

Status: No spyware and stuff. My harddisk is full (SSD of 80GB), but still damn fast.

Second computer:

Windows XP x86 - 2010/04/26

Reason for reinstall: Got annoyed by Ubuntu, didn't use it enough.

Status: Using for simple testing in WinXP, rather than using my main computer, but don't test that much now either. I will switch back to ubuntu probably on short notice. No spyware and stuff. Very fast, thanks to the SSD.

Laptop:

Windows XP x86 - 2010/01/16

Reason for reinstall: Started new education, got rid of old apps.

Status: Full of useless apps needed for my education, but at the moment already finished the courses that required those apps, maybe a new reinstall required for that. Pretty slow, but that's the hardware mainly (one of the slowest dual cores available, one of the slowest hard disks). But luckily no spyware and stuff.

I also have a non-windows printserver, pretty fubar installation but it works and has an uptime of >48 days.

Windows XP 32 bit - couple of months now, running fine, no viruses or any other crap on it.

During last year did one clean Win7 install and then reinstalled XP + one repair (that is my current installation), all caused by hardware failure.

I don't know if I ever had to reinstall Windows cause of viruses/accumulated junk. If I had it was quite a while ago.

Win 7 installed on 10th of FEB ´11. Got new graphics so needed to clear CMOS + OS.

Eating my discspace, but don´t see any advantages atm compared to WinXP.

Also have Ubuntu 10.10 for secure surfing, got it nicely running yesterday. Hope that separate and different System will be more secure (antivir is worth a ****). Generally have been reinstalling for different reasons in 6 month period.

I reinstall Win XP frequently, my family messes the computers up almost daily.

I have a folder on my memstick with all the drivers and settings for each computer so I don't have to go looking for a bunch of separate CDs.

I try to keep one PC for gaming, one for school/office/taxes/bills/etc, and the other one for my kids to destroy.

I haven't tried Win7 yet. I still use XP lol. I tried Vista and was disgusted, have no incentive to drop $200 just to get Win7, and don't want to try to pull it off a torrent. XP is just fine. I know it perfectly and it does everything I need it to do. I still use Office 2000 at home (2007 at work).