Canada's Outlaws Unlimited Bandwidth. Canadians now to pay overcharge fees

OnionKnight

Thanks to Bell Canada and the CRTC, unlimited bandwidth plans are now going to be extinct and many ISPs have just recently started to enforce the bandwidth limit (starting with Shaw) for small wholesale customers.

"A typical 5Mbps plan from a DSL reseller in the Toronto area cost about $40 for unlimited service as of last week, a plan which has been replaced today by a $32 package which grants a mere 25 GB a month"......"Most of the plans offered now only go from 25GB - 80GB per month"

There is now also a petition to scrap the law with over 150,000 signatures (http://openmedia.ca/meter).

idk anything about bandwidth so how much does the average person use? i do a lot of youtube videos and stream netflix movies just curious how much i prolly use a month :P

No idea, but for something like netflix, at least this discussion on DSLreports figures somewhere around 1.5-1.8GB/hr. Since Netflix uses variable bitrates to encode their stream it would differ somewhat for each user.

Very interesting though. I'd be curious to see some graphs from other users.

I imagine the US will go to tiered pricing at some point and all the youtube addicts will riot in the streets.

I've heard some cable companies in the US were considering similar limits, it was unpopular as well. Hopefully there will enough backlash to stop but it probably wont be effective unless there are alternatives that offer unlimited usage. Good luck.

I understand cable being capped but why DSL?

no clue. It has to do with bell's move to decrease their caps, increase their prices and charge overage fees. Because smaller internet companies offer extremely competitive pricing for unlimited bandwidth, they are getting hammered.

The worst part of all of this is that the CRTC is suppose to protect the values of Canadians. Last year the CRTC tried to rule to disallow new cellphone companies to setup shop in canada (But it was overruled by the government thus reducing cellphone plans by 20%).

• Administrators

CRTC is a joke, they are suppose to be a independent oversight body and they sell themselves for a few bucks. If this shit is not overturned I am canceling my account with Rogers. The amount I pay a year to Rogers for TV and internet I could take my family for a very nice vacation. Canada has become a laughing stock of the entire Western world. As rest of them move forward our idiots in Ottawa take 100 steps back. The whole government is a joke, the sheer amount of money that is misappropriated goes in 10's of billions and sad thing is noone cares, if this was France or Spain or some other European country they would have a general strike and bring the damn government to its knees but alas lazy ass Canucks just take another slap to the wallet.

• Administrators

It has been scraped. Government was like "fack that shit".

Now they are going to do an inquiry on the CRTC !!!

Woo facking CRTC !! Pwned.

No its not scraped its just gonna get reviewed. Eventually it might get scraped but there is no guarantee.