10 Shooting tips - Enemy Territory

righteous kill

Here are some basic tips to shoot with higher accuracy and with more headshots. I know I'm not the best shot around but these are basic tips that would help anyone who is new or open to some suggestions.

1. Get a good sensitivity

Depending on the type of mouse and the default windows mouse settings you use, everyones ideal mouse sensitivity differs. The best way I feel to get the best sensitivity is to join a server and start with a low sensitivity and slowly raise it until you feel comfortable shooting AND moving. Having a super low sensitivity will give you super "great" aiming skills at midrange, but players aren't always a decent distance away. The key is to find a balance between what feels comfortable aiming at a distance and in up close battles as well as moving around the map.

2. Keep your head up

This is probably the most important and basic tip ever given to me when playing. When moving through the map, keep your crosshairs headlevel in all circumstances. This will greatly increase your headshots and give you an advantage to others who have to drag their crosshair up to the head. I'd say 75% of the time when getting the first headshot, you will win the fight if you can just hang on and get a few body shots afterward. Remember, 3 headshots at close range will do the job.

3. Expect the enemy

If you know where the enemy is typically is coming from, keep your crosshairs at headlevel at that position. When they run around the corner, you have a two headshot advantage against them. Always note where the hotspots are and keep the crosshair in those areas when running through.

4. Crouch, crouch, crouch

When you are shooting at a distance, crouching gives you a more accurate shot. By crouching, your shots will land closer to where your crosshairs are with less spread. Moving side to side while crouching makes it harder to hit you because the hitbox for your head is awkward and makes it tough for players to hit. Also, a tap crouch technique is useful in battles that are upclose because many players aim for the head, and by crouching they completely miss you giving you a few extra shots to take them down.

5. Burst fire

With a thompson or mp40, burst fire doesn't feel like it would give you any type of advantage because in most situations you feel like you need to unload your clip to take down the enemy. But the truth is, burst fire gives you more accuracy and will help your shots have less spread and hit with a higher %.

6. Tracking

I can always tell if a player is truly skilled by watching them track players from a distance. Good players can tear apart 4 or 5 players from the side by tracking their motion. While the players run past without noticing you, a good player can track their head with their crosshair and take them down in less than 10 shots.

7. Keep moving

When shooting others, stay constantly moving if you feel vulnerable. Moving doesn't seem like it would help your aim, however if done correctly, it gives you a great advantage. Using sprint while moving in a irregular pattern back and forth makes you harder to hit therefore helping your aim.

8. Crosshair/field of view

Edit the crosshair by hitting esc. Many good players use the small dot because it gives you an accurate crosshair without all the extras. I prefer the dot with the ring around it. Use a color that contrasts against the background of most maps, such as limegreen or red. Some players change the crosshair on certain maps such as fuel dump or radar to give them the best contrast. Change the field of view by typing /cg_fov 100 in console. You can select from 90-120ish area (not exactly sure how high). The best fov I've found was around 100-105. Raising your fov too high gives you a disadvantage at a distance, however going too low, around 90, gives you a disadvantage to upclose battles. There is a script that allows you to toggle fov by scrolling that is often used but is pretty silly I think.

9. Turn the sound off

Yeah this sounds stupid, but I've found it really helps me. Turning the sound off makes you rely on your sight and helps you focus on purely shooting. Sure this isn't very advantageous in most situations, but it really does work. If you are getting owned by some guy and its pissing you off, hit the mute button and take him down. Try it.

10. I can't think of a 10th tip.

If you only could only take home one tip given above, use #2. Keeping your crosshairs at headlevel is something almost noone does and it makes an immediate difference.

Edited by Fearless Staff
  • Love 1

Sometimes its good going prone. you can take advantage of the ghillie suits snipers have and the go prone on some sort of grass and enemies wont be able to see you. Sound Helps. You can listen if someone is near you. You can even undestand what weapon the enemy is using. Learn to play with low sensitivity. Low sensitivity can enable you to shot more accurately. Also making good use of special grenades is also a defining factor. I have seen players

storming buildings without using their special grenades. Those grenades will help take out campers. last one is to learn how to play with fast weapon switching. You surely experienced battling and then having to reload. that, however (reloading) isnt safe. Its safer to switch to your pistol.

those are foR COD.

dont know if some of these tips aooky to ETW too

dont know if I helped

most were covered by righteouskill

nice tips dude

A big part of aim is having an instinctive feel for what a player will do next. That develops as you play the game more often. Knowing maps is important... not just knowing where people will be going, but what level their head is likely to be at, etc. I have to disagree about playing without sound, it's the only way legit players can track players they can't see.

I have to disagree about playing without sound, it's the only way legit players can track players they can't see.

in all honesty it sounds like playing without sound would really damper your aim. but give it a try, it really does increase your actual smg %. i wouldn't suggest it in a scrim or anything but i do it from time to time just to land more shots when i am doing shitty.

#2 pmove_fixed 0!!! Holly shit this week I had pmove_fixed 1 wasn't getting as many headshots as I use to, and was confused? Its because I was messing with a pmove toggle script and forgot that it was set to 1. Also if you are not sure about your aim at head level, aim at your teammates head and try tracking their heads.

Going to test out your mute theory, sounds solid. I usually play with music so hearing is very minimal, i'll turn sound off through my config. This cvar in the config if you make it 0 you will get more FPS and there won't be any sound ingame at all. Instead of doing mute why not turn these off and gain fps while your at it. Just remember your regular settings.

s_mixahead "0.12"// Lower values improve FPS at the cost of some sound choppiness 0.12 
s_mixPreStep "0.08" // Lower values improve FPS at the cost of some sound choppiness 0.08

Yes playing without sound for training works :thanks

Just remember your regular settings.

i have always a backup of my config before i play around with settings

• Like 1

I have to disagree about playing without sound, it's the only way legit players can track players they can't see.

in all honesty it sounds like playing without sound would really damper your aim. but give it a try, it really does increase your actual smg %. i wouldn't suggest it in a scrim or anything but i do it from time to time just to land more shots when i am doing shitty.

It helps alot, i used to play back at past when i was playing serious jaymod some months without hitsounds and it was pretty good training for my aim. I saw cleary how my aim used to go at start down but with time and hard traning it went back up and i used to get over 40% every map without hitsounds that time. After some months of traning i started to get used back to hitsounds so i could see how many diffrence will be.

FIrst maps was pretty hard to get used to hitsounds since i was used to play without it, but after some maps hs were droping amazing, mostly close to 250+ every map and aim was jumping from 45% up to 50% sometimes.

So at end, it helps alot to start playing without hitsounds for training ur aim, im doing this again now mostly of the maps im playing are without hitsounds and i see improvment all the time. So i suggest to try it sometimes and see how it goes. :)

Its a psychological thing :P

The same happens with a crosshair.. the default, is to big.. you may be aiming to far.. but the crosshair will still make it seem you are hitting the target.. so you should use the smallest possible.. without noticing, you will do an effort to put the crosshair right on top of target... giving better hits.. :)

same with the sound.. by turning it off you loose a clue.. making you aim more sharp.. to assure the shot..

now the problem is once you get used to play like that.. it stops working..(or at least the improvement stops..) :hmm so the point is

to you have any more psychological tricks? small crosshair, turn off hit sound, and ...???? what else helps you aim better?

Its a psychological thing :P

The same happens with a crosshair.. the default, is to big.. you may be aiming to far.. but the crosshair will still make it seem you are hitting the target.. so you should use the smallest possible.. without noticing, you will do an effort to put the crosshair right on top of target... giving better hits.. :)

same with the sound.. by turning it off you loose a clue.. making you aim more sharp.. to assure the shot..

now the problem is once you get used to play like that.. it stops working..(or at least the improvement stops..) :hmm so the point is

to you have any more psychological tricks? small crosshair, turn off hit sound, and ...???? what else helps you aim better?

Hmm mostly before u even start playing is to set good settings on, like u said crosshair for example i have small red dot, thats the best for me to get hits and hs from short and long range. Then very important is ur resolution, if u have a bit better pc with good vid card then u should try something better then just deafult.

I have for my resolution 1280*1024 and its working perfect, sometimes a bit of fps drops, but that doesnt matter so much since its public and not etpro :P

Anyway ur aim should be going up with that kind of proper settings then play for some time without hitsounds and as i said before, with some time turn it back on so u see how much improvment u made. U have there also those small stuffs for improving ur aim, while set off blood effect, make better cg_fov (view of the gun), muzzleflash for example. There's alot of those small effect that could give a bit of help at ur aim and ur game while turning those stuffs off.

The best is still to play alot and to train hard.

It helps alot, i used to play back at past when i was playing serious jaymod some months without hitsounds and it was pretty good training for my aim. I saw cleary how my aim used to go at start down but with time and hard traning it went back up and i used to get over 40% every map without hitsounds that time. After some months of traning i started to get used back to hitsounds so i could see how many diffrence will be.

FIrst maps was pretty hard to get used to hitsounds since i was used to play without it, but after some maps hs were droping amazing, mostly close to 250+ every map and aim was jumping from 45% up to 50% sometimes.

So at end, it helps alot to start playing without hitsounds for training ur aim, im doing this again now mostly of the maps im playing are without hitsounds and i see improvment all the time. So i suggest to try it sometimes and see how it goes. :)

sounds like a good idea. i haven't tried doing that yet. i will start and see how it works out.

lol i tried all those but SOMEBODY (Act_Of_Voilence,Thunder****) never dies....

hah man, its just a start u need to keep traning hard and with time they wont kill u anymore :P